Fan issues

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
OK so got new tstat 180 degree. Fan only kicks on when temp guage gets to the a in the word normal. If I unplug the ect sensor the fan kick on. Help anyone know what I'm missing. Only gets up that high in park/ traffic. But it's not kicking on to keep temp guage in middle

sent while thinking of mods for my 4.6s using tapatalk

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
From what I'm reading online says fan relay in passenger fender ccrm ? Anyone familiar?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Fan relay is in the CCRM inside the passenger fender. If the fan is coming on then I don't think the CCRM is bad. Do you have a scanner that can read actual temp? Our gauges are kind of dummy gauges and don't matter a whole lot.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Fan relay is in the CCRM inside the passenger fender. If the fan is coming on then I don't think the CCRM is bad. Do you have a scanner that can read actual temp? Our gauges are kind of dummy gauges and don't matter a whole lot.
I've read that there is also a solo 30 amp fuse on passengers side by the strut tower. That is for low fan speed. I can't for the life of me find it. Supposed to be in a lil black box

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
unplugging ther ect sensor is tricking the fan to come on hi speed. fail safe mode.
To test the fan circuit pull codes. one of the first things you'll hear is some relays clicking then the low speed fanfor a couple seconds followed by the hi speed fan for a couple seconds.
The guage in the car isn't accurate because it doesn't show exact temp. Install a real temp guage or at least use a laser thermometer on the radadiator hose or thermostate housing.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
unplugging ther ect sensor is tricking the fan to come on hi speed. fail safe mode.
To test the fan circuit pull codes. one of the first things you'll hear is some relays clicking then the low speed fanfor a couple seconds followed by the hi speed fan for a couple seconds.
The guage in the car isn't accurate because it doesn't show exact temp. Install a real temp guage or at least use a laser thermometer on the radadiator hose or thermostate housing.
Not getting any check engine light

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I've read that there is also a solo 30 amp fuse on passengers side by the strut tower. That is for low fan speed. I can't for the life of me find it. Supposed to be in a lil black box

The CCRM has relays in it for low speed and high speed fan. I can send you schematics if you don't believe me. I don't know of any fuses in the circuit. My 98 does not have a fuse in the circuit for the fans, maybe that for the 94-95 cars?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
The CCRM has relays in it for low speed and high speed fan. I can send you schematics if you don't believe me. I don't know of any fuses in the circuit. My 98 does not have a fuse in the circuit for the fans, maybe that for the 94-95 cars?
After more searching what I read was incorrect. What about the fan speed control resister?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I had similar issues as described in the first post, my problem was corroded wires and connector that went directly into the fan motor itself. Apparently that's not too uncommon of an area to become corroded, I'd check it out! If you find that you need a replacement id get a connector harness from a junkyard (that's what I did for a total of $2) or order this...

https://lmr.com/item/WPT362/94-97-Ford-Mustang-Cooling-Fan-Repair-Wiring-Harness

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the resistor, I don't remember that at all on my 98. I also have to add, on top of the corrosion those fan plugs like to melt. Pull the plug and inspect the connectors

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the resistor, I don't remember that at all on my 98. I also have to add, on top of the corrosion those fan plugs like to melt. Pull the plug and inspect the connectors

Yes they do like to melt... Thanks for reminding me, mine was melted and the wires were exposed.... Which started the whole corrosion process I believe

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I had similar issues as described in the first post, my problem was corroded wires and connector that went directly into the fan motor itself. Apparently that's not too uncommon of an area to become corroded, I'd check it out! If you find that you need a replacement id get a connector harness from a junkyard (that's what I did for a total of $2) or order this...

https://lmr.com/item/WPT362/94-97-Ford-Mustang-Cooling-Fan-Repair-Wiring-Harness
I'll be looking in the a.m. thank you

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not getting any check engine light

I didn't say anything about a CEL.
Plugging in the OBD2 scanner does more than tell you why your idiot light is on. It also performs a diagnostic test on some of the electronics. IE the fan relays and CCRM.
Go get a HAYNES manual and look at the wiring diagram.
Remember the SN95 cars are different from Foxes. That may be where some of your wrong info is coming fom

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about a CEL.
Plugging in the OBD2 scanner does more than tell you why your idiot light is on. It also performs a diagnostic test on some of the electronics. IE the fan relays and CCRM.
Go get a HAYNES manual and look at the wiring diagram.
Remember the SN95 cars are different from Foxes. That may be where some of your wrong info is coming fom
I have a sct x4 anyway to read anything that route

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
Throwing a wild card in here. How old is your water pump and rad cap? I would plug a scanner and see when is the fan kicking on and if it correlates with data on dash board then start from the simple to hardest path. Mine does something similar but not as bad. It use to go to "A" in normal with 17yr old orginal rad/overflow cap but since I replaced it last summer it goes to "M" in normal when the car is stationary and is running.

Check: Radiator/overflow tank cap, coolant 50/50 mix, air in the system, waterpump, radiator, and electrical.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Throwing a wild card in here. How old is your water pump and rad cap? I would plug a scanner and see when is the fan kicking on and if it correlates with data on dash board then start from the simple to hardest path. Mine does something similar but not as bad. It use to go to "A" in normal with 17yr old orginal rad/overflow cap but since I replaced it last summer it goes to "M" in normal when the car is stationary and is running.

Check: Radiator/overflow tank cap, coolant 50/50 mix, air in the system, waterpump, radiator, and electrical.
I'm gonna data log in a few. Just installed sct software on PC . and new radiator cap might be a good investment

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
36cfff558a29c8372cbf75fce1c34045.jpg
so the low speed fan kicks on at 205 degrees and cools it down. But the guage still says it's in the a of normal. ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.