fan switch

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
anyone know how to rewire the fan so i can have it on when i want?

Tattoogod

Reaction score
you gotta put a toggle switch in..with one wire comming from the battery and one wire going to the fans hot lead. so the one comeing from the battery goes on 1 terminal of the switch and the other terminal will have a wire going to the fan. that will allow you to turn off and back on anytime you want.

Downshift

Reaction score
I just did mine a week ago. I went and took some pics for you, to go along with what tattoogod said. Just incase you dont know what you need here ya go, at least heres what worked for me. I mounted mine on the kick panel. There was a hole there already so I just grabbed a pocket knife and grinded the hole big enough for it to fit the switch. I put the wires through the rubber grommet thing, just take a big screw driver and pry the side up and leave it in there while you put the wire through.

1. 18 gauge Wire Smallest I found was in 20 feet. I probably used 7-8.
2. Switch to turn it on and off.
3. Fuse holder.
4. 20 A fuses. I would get more than one I already blew one out from leaving the fan when the car wasnt running. I was in a hurry haha.
5.Electrical tape.

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
thanks guys but i have a HUGE problem, before this my car really never saw the M unless i was running the A/c now afterwards, i put this cool tech stuff in the radiator and did this mod, and when just driving (no a/c on) #1 im loosing power #2 its at the R/M before it was right around N/O im thinking that blue shit i put in the radiator just f'ed me over

Downshift

Reaction score
Thats why I did the fan switch mod. Mine started getting hotter lately. It used to run around the N-O around there but NEVER above it. Granted it has been getting hotter out, but it still gets to nearly straight up on the guage even at night I am not sure whats going on. The oil is fine, but im guessing the coolant needs to be flushed? At least on mine I have no idea when it was done. Id like to know whats going on too. Is yours getting hot at night too?

Downshift

Reaction score
I totally read your post wrong haha. When your car gets that hot do you have the fan on with the switch? Can you hear it on? Does the fan still come on by itself? Only thing other than the cool tech stuff I could think of is that you spliced into the wrong wire on the fan and its not coming on at all. If the fan is coming on I would flush the coolant and that cool tech out and put fresh stuff in and go from there.

rgs

Reaction score
i wanna do this tomoro, anyone know of a site with a step by step??

im terrible with wiring :(

Downshift

Reaction score
Dont know where you can find it but I will give it a shot.

Get what I listed above.

Disconnect the battery.

Take a big screw driver and pry the rubber grommet enough to get it in between so there is room for wire. (3rd picture)

Feed some wire into the hole which will go down by your pedals or you can do it from inside and it will come out where I took the picture.

Get enough wire going to go to where you are going to mount the switch and enough on the other side to reach the battery.*Leave room to strip the wire* Now cut that wire.

Do the same thing but with enough wire to go from the switch to the fan wire. Through the firewall rubber piece just like the last one. Now cut the wire.

The wire that goes from the battery to the Switch is where you are going to put the fuse holder. Put the fuse in. (1st Picture)

Unwrap the electical tape crap that is on the fan wires. Just enough to expose them so you can cut and splice into them.

Cut into the red wire. Splice it on both sides of the cut. Take the wire that you fed from the switch and wrap it into the fan wires and wrap it with electrical tape or connectors or whatever.

Connect the wire with the fuse into the positve battery cable or terminal.

Put the fuse in the holder

Connect the two wires to the switch.

Your all set.

fordtech

Reaction score
Alright guys here is a way to control your fan to turn on automatically at any temp just in case you forget to flip the switch it happens I have it on my cobra for about three years now it works awsome you use the stock fan with the high fan wire its I only spent 80 dollars but its worth it my temp doesnt go over 195 even with the AC on if you follow the wire scematic you should be fine
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

Tattoogod

Reaction score
this is what i did .after i hit 130 plus my car started getting hot haha..then it stayed hot..ok i said screw it..i t went to advance got a 180 stat.new coolant,i completely drained my old stuff.it was kinda dirty.i put in my new stat.then i put in my new 50/50 mix coolant. and i burped my system prolly close to 6 times to make sure no air pockets were stuck in there. a air pocket can really piss you off and give you false readings. as the coolant sensor is in a high spot of the intake .and as you know air and heat rises. so if thereis an air pocket steam will appear where the air is.just a thought.tell you the truth ive used the pro blend coolant additive.and that shit did wonders for me.i used the oil ,gas,and coolant stuff from pro blend and i like it.

Downshift

Reaction score
80$ For what? I only spent MAYBE 12$ haha. But whatever you wanna do.

ryclef331

Reaction score
dude....no offense to anyone but you guys are going about it ALL wrong. You don't need to tap into any fuses or ANYTHING, just go under the hood, find the large electrical connector that is mounted to the radiator overflow. Cut back the loom and find the GREEN wire with the PURPLE stripe. Thats the ground for the high speed fan. Rig up a wire with a switch or whatever the hell you want to do. As long as the car is on and that wire is grounded, bam, highspeed fan is on. You can put whatever switch you want on it. I use spade terminals and just ground it between runs with the hood popped.

Tattoogod

Reaction score
good idea. but dont you think there may be a reason as to why a car is over heating. one minute its not then it is. possibly fix the problem,them make it run cooler,so it stays cool.the cooling system is pretty simple.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
dude....no offense to anyone but you guys are going about it ALL wrong. You don't need to tap into any fuses or ANYTHING, just go under the hood, find the large electrical connector that is mounted to the radiator overflow. Cut back the loom and find the GREEN wire with the PURPLE stripe. Thats the ground for the high speed fan. Rig up a wire with a switch or whatever the hell you want to do. As long as the car is on and that wire is grounded, bam, highspeed fan is on. You can put whatever switch you want on it. I use spade terminals and just ground it between runs with the hood popped.
thats what i did, it was a PITA to find i was told it could be found inside the cabin after an hour never found it. then i got under the hood and its not easily accesable but will do.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:

By "large electrical connector" do you mean the CCRM?

ryclef331

Reaction score
TRUUBLE said:
ryclef331 said:

By "large electrical connector" do you mean the CCRM?

Yes. Thats what I meant. I can't ever remember what its called. Unbolt it, cut back the loom and find the wire!

As for the original poster's overheating problem, something obviously isn't right. Don't buy into the "your stock system isn't up to the task." I'm running a 331 stroker, heads, cam, intake, full bolt ons....only cooling mod is 180 stat. It never gets above 185.

MAKE SURE the thermo stat is opening. Once thats done, BURP the system (get the car up to temp and keep filling it up until it won't take anymore water). Again so long as everything is up to par, you'll be good. You're right about manually turning the fans on to keep it cool, thats a band aid fix.

HISSIN50

Reaction score
For the sake of clarity (this is for a GT - I dont think snake wiring differs, but I dont know firsthand):

For low speed, Pin 14 on the CCRM gets fused 12 volts (Please do use a fuse. You dont have to, but if your wiring is sound, it will never blow). You're only supplying a few hundred mA, so draw is not a concern.

For high speed, Pin 17 receives ground.

Dont run both speeds at once.

When you get sick of this and want to have proper fan control, use a variable controller from www.dcControl.com .

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online