Father and Son Build....1967 Cutlass 4 door sedan/LS swap

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Decided to do a build with my son to teach him how to work on cars, allow him to have some sweat equity in his first car to hopefully instill some appreciation, pride and overall caring about his ride.

he picked what he wanted, an old 4 door sedan, ala the tv show, Supernatural. He wanted the 4 door impala which I could not find at a decent price, so we wound up with a 1967 4 door post Cutlass with the 330 v8 2 barrel and powerglide trans.

few pics of how it was when we got it.

didn't come with these wheels. got some similar after we got it.

\

what we did:

car has 5.3L LS truck motor with 4L60E tranny. new 3 core aluminum radiator; car is an a/c car so will be getting whatever it needs to hook that to the ls compressor. has dual 3" exhaust coming out just behind the rear tires; has retro style dual outside mirrors with led turn signals.; new steering wheel.

The interior of the car was mostly black (seats had some cheap covers on them that were black and white) with the rest in black. He has kept that theme. The seats that are being done are in black vinyl with silver piping since the dash and some other areas either have silver or chrome as a part. I had some custom badges done using the 442 theme….it has the three bar color scheme but instead of saying 442 it says, 5.32 to reflect the LS 5.3liter motor swap. It has:

front power disc brake upgrade; tubular control arms up front with poly bushings, new ball joints, new idler arm, new pitman arm, new tie rod ends, grand Cherokee quick ratio steering box; new shocks; rear has new 442 rear lower control arms; Gabriel hijacker air shocks; soon it will have the 442 rear sway bar. have a used set of upper control arms I am having boxed and then will install new bushings

Since it is a post car, I had a friend make up some hardware so I have installed three point shoulder harness/seat belts in the front like we have in all cars now. Also, the front seat I sourced from a friend that had a 70 chevelle with a bench seat (my son wants to keep the bench seat) that has headrests in it so I can protect his neck in case of a crash.

will post up more pics, if anyone interested. the car now has the interior mostly in it and has been painted gloss black. looks outstanding and runs really good. have few more things including the a/c conversion...it has a/c in it from the factory.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
pictures speak for themselves, early pics of motor going into the car (had to go with a CTSV oil pan for ground clearance), tranny, mirrors with led turn signals going in, prepping and painting the door jambs, etc. to have the car painted. as far as the paint job is concerned, told my son for now, we are not going to go with an expensive paint job for him to drive the car to high school and then to college. the good job can go on the car on his dime when he is working himself and can pay for it. so the car went to MAACO. I have had several cars painted at one of them here where I live and they have done good jobs in the past. this one is getting the 5 year warrantied paint. they wound up stripping the car to bare metal prior to paint. my son and I stripped almost everything off the car prior to them painting it. anyway, here are some more early pics of stuff getting done.

Later engine pics:

old cars have outside hood release so old school hood locks were in order.

Car had only one center hole in the back for a speaker. had to cut out new holes there, had to install speakers in the doors, drill to run all wiring for the speakers and the turn signal mirrors as the car had no power in the doors. installed a retro looking radio in the car but has outputs for other stuff. everytime he told me he wanted "subs" I asked him if he wanted to go to Subway or another local sandwich shop. made him mad!! actually found an amp and sub in a wrecked car at my favorite salvage yard for $40. so soon that will go in and make him happy.

more later.................

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Awesome dude. Not many people teach kids nowadays, so props for that. He'll definitely learn to respect it and value the car etc. I know I do, got my 95' when I was 16, I'm 20 now and nothing has changed. Put a ton of work into it not to mention money. It builds character! Back to the car, the older Oldsmobiles are awesome! I'm hunting for a 70' 442 project car. Since this car has an LS motor, did it need a different K member and whatnot?

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

No, did not need a different k member. I did a ton of research prior to starting and most everything you need to do it, you can get. Now this car will accept any LS style motor so later on if he wants to go to a vette motor or something, he can. plus even this one will make plenty of power with even just a cam swap. If you ever get one, let me know and I can tell you what you need. biggest thing...at least to me, was getting a cable throttle body motor so the gas pedal doesn't need the electronic one. we used a Lokar pedal to hook it up.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
When it got picked up at MAACO (taillights went in for the drive home but had been removed for paint. only trim left at paint time was the small piece of chrome on the lower front fenders that we could not get off)

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

latest:

[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

Front custom badge

getting ready for the dash paint...

I blacked out the read panel on the trunk lid and the tail light housings ala 442

stingracer

Reaction score
Too nice for demon hunting now

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dang that thing came out really awesome! I like this build a lot! Love a good restomod!

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
That paint looks great! How is it in person? I've had some shotty work done in the past from Maco but i know you kinda get what you pay for there lol. Seats look awesome!

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Too nice for demon hunting now 

True! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dang that thing came out really awesome! I like this build a lot! Love a good restomod!

Thanx!!! yea, it is really cool to drive.

That paint looks great! How is it in person? I've had some shotty work done in the past from Maco but i know you kinda get what you pay for there lol. Seats look awesome!

The paint in person is much better than you would expect. not perfect by any means and I did have to take it back for some repair work, but they never flinched and took care of it right away. great to deal with, at least this one is. nice people and no push back on the fix. Friend
who has a shop did the seats. they look great in person. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online