fender flares - project started!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there will be a thin line of filler where the pieces meet the fender too smooth the transition. If I do it the way I want too I am hoping it will not look like much extra. When I fill the gaps around the brake vent and smooth it into the flare, then back into the shaved fuel door hopefully there will be enough other stuff going on to have this one keep you wondering if it was done.

Carnage281

Reaction score
Maier racing sells some fender flares for that body style.
image001_384w.gif

But personally I like the route your going over these fender flares, it flows with the car better.

Also found this pic too (huge pic incoming)
DSC_2491-XL.jpg

Notice how the rear fenders are slightly flared, but they still look somewhat stock. I think that would look great, but just my opinion on the subject.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After some more fine trimming on the pieces(with a little more too go) here is where I am at. I am happy to say I need to take a little bit of the arch/curve on the top to allow it to blend/flow better.
1873221395966773-e371eeb0ee.jpg

2454811395966745-df6e52fd44.jpg

Some more trimming on the pieces and what is under it tomorrow and hopefully I can weld them into place and really see what this is gonna look like. This is with a 3/8" flare now as its not welded but locked in place.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
But personally I like the route your going over these fender flares, it flows with the car better.

DSC_2491-XL.jpg

Notice how the rear fenders are slightly flared, but they still look somewhat stock. I think that would look great, but just my opinion on the subject.

Looks like export flares that were molded in

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like ass on that car. ^

It's too small, not high enough, and doesn't flow with the bumper.

I have faith in Scott that he knows what he's doing and that it will look good because he'll actually make it flow.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
typing... For some reason as I did it I was thinking it wasn't right but for some reason it sounded right.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
got the pieces burned in yesterday and started on grinding the welds down today. I need to figure out hot to make my welds thinner. Less wire speed or more movement? Idunno some came out really nice and others were globby mess and of course burned through in a couple of places. But it all grinds down.... I also realized while cleaning the lenses on the gopro's today that I must have got some good action shots welding yesterday as one lens on the case has a small spot on it. Good think I won that sweepstakes last year that included an extra lens... But here is where I am now and I think its going to work out the way I want by the time I smooth it all out. Anyone notice an extra 5/8" there?
6549241396109096-a9bcce1ef2.jpg

3277831396109126-6c8d5f2d26.jpg

Like I said I think by the time its over and blended into the vent and back to the missing fuel door it should not stick out much at all. Also looks like the inside will like up the way I hoped and I can just roll the fender material in there back to the original fender so there will not be any hang ups inside. Takin a break and uploading the video will be back out to grind some more shortly.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I love it!
Did you test for a wheel in there? I'd like to see a wheel in there that'd look awesome!

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not yet you can see it in the 1rst pic off too the side. I want to roll the inside first which is probably next on the job after I copy the video.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
started rolling the inner fender and now put some primer on it just to help cut the contrast between the pieces and put the wheel on to see.
2484611396119475-da695d7914.jpg

9727511396119451-22ae870e39.jpg

4703781396119421-306764497f.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I rolled the inner fender so that it now meets the old stock material. I would like to weld them all together but I can't get my head/helmet and the welder inside the wheel well to weld the outside of the inner fender. Hell I tried to get a pic and I ether end up out of focus or getting the area an inch above/below it since I cant see the display screen while I take it. I have a plan b ready for it shortly. I also took out my rear seat delete, the inside plastic and finally the brake vent to prep it all to be smoothed in. And then suddenly an aunt I have not seen for 15 yrs called saterday and arrived sunday for a short visit with a 2nd cousin of mine. Hopefully the kid likes to work on cars and they don't mind the sound of the compressor :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am considering changing out the black plastic vent portion(with the holes in it) with something different prior to putting it back but not sure what to do. Any ideas of a metal or plastic mesh material that would look good there instead of the black plastic with holes in it?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
finally got back on my feet from the last chrones flair up to work on my flares some more. Got the drivers side burned it and will start grinding it tomorrow. Be kind on the ugly welds as this is exactly how I feel evertime I turn on my welder.
[video=youtube;qLaVsRagMa8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLaVsRagMa8[/video]
had some good spots, burned through some others but its solid and ready to be ground down now.

3218611397868095-270a4f8772.jpg

You might also be able to see in that pic that I have mounted the brake vents permanently and they are ready to be smoothed in now with the next step of body work
7381361397868122-abdb47e265.jpg

Again it is not a huge flare only a minor one.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Maier racing sells some fender flares for that body style.
image001_384w.gif

DSC_2491-XL.jpg

I guess all you guys don't seem to understand this is pure function. It wasn't about looks.

Looks good Scott. Coming along nicely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81