fender hash marks on mustangs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
When did hash marks become a mustang thing? I have always considered them a corvette thing and been confused as to when they became a mustang thing.

NERD

Reaction score
I thought it was an trans am circuit racing thing from the old days?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's a vette thing, always has been. Jst a lot of guys doing it but then saying an LS swap is sacrilege.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

aces ST

Reaction score
They are an old racing thing going back to the 60's. used for different reasons,
1. Teams would do it to show what car it was, example if a team had two cars: 1 hash=car 1, 2 hashes=2nd car.
2. Show what side the drivers was on.

Chevy put them on the vette to commemorate the old le mans racing days
Mustang owners really started doing to commemorate Carol Shelby and his racing days

ive been rocking GS stripes/hash marks for about three years now.

Sinned83

Reaction score
A coworker has black ones on his 94 Atlantic blue. I don't care for it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always associated them with vettes myself. I knew they were used on the race cars in the 60's but when they were on the grandsports in the 90's I thought that jus locked it up as their design for lack of a better term. Seems like it would be about the same as putting the mopar stinger stripes on a mustang trunk. Don't get me wrong I don't think they look bad all that often but just always seemed weird to me.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
They are an old racing thing going back to the 60's. used for different reasons,
1. Teams would do it to show what car it was, example if a team had two cars: 1 hash=car 1, 2 hashes=2nd car.

Mustang owners really started doing to commemorate Carol Shelby and his racing days

Yeppp

Win

Legend
Reaction score
It seems everyone is trying to make there Mustang not a Mustang. It's sad really, we've lost the old days where we did power and handling.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

This is the exact reasoning behind the hash mark.

I approve of this message!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It seems everyone is trying to make there Mustang not a Mustang. It's sad really, we've lost the old days where we did power and handling.

^ this.. Remember when it was cool to have a SR351 wing too :)

aces ST

Reaction score

I partially disagree with this. I know plenty that are all about power and handling. My sn has 400+hp and I'm working on my handling. I just like doing small things to make my car stand out from the rest. And the history of it is pretty cool.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I partially disagree with this. I know plenty that are all about power and handling. My sn has 400+hp and I'm working on my handling. I just like doing small things to make my car stand out from the rest. And the history of it is pretty cool.

But all there doing is trying to make the cars Into other cars not making them unique. There are still plenty of things out there that haven't been done.

Im sorry but I think suspension and handling should be far ahead of power. My car may have a stock motor but even with the minimal mods I've done in suspension I'm positive it will out handle many cars that have more power and less suspension than mine.

All the younger generation is about is looks and making it look JDM. Our cars are freaking American! Not Japanese.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure why we can't do both, looks and performance. I know the old hot rod attitude that no stereo minimalist interior, HUGE motor but its old/played out and boring now.

aces ST

Reaction score
Well to some old timers, what you are saying is blasphemy, who could careless about handling; growing up 98% of the mustang owners my parents and I knew only cared about going fast in a straight line. I actually didn't care about handling (after 3 mustangs) until I had my old focus, then when I got back into a mustang did making it handle matter to me. (my suspension is not stock by the way).

the younger generation (as you put it) are actually just trying to make their car's unique, because as we know almost everyone and their brother has cobra rims and bumper (not hating) I am actually happy for one to see people expanding their views on what looks good on a mustang. whether they call it JDM, EDM or whatever.

Also looking at the times, it is much easier to modify a car for looks and enjoy it vice having a fast car that you can only enjoy on a track or illegally.

I am not trying to start an e-argument just trying explain our point of view.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
To each his own.....

All i know is I have a 20yr old, 210hp turd that will under steer and snap over steer in the same turn. I'm proving on any of these things is a plus

The D3V

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All the younger generation is about is looks and making it look JDM. Our cars are freaking American! Not Japanese.

43400782.jpg

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Well to some old timers, what you are saying is blasphemy, who could careless about handling; growing up 98% of the mustang owners my parents and I knew only cared about going fast in a straight line. I actually didn't care about handling (after 3 mustangs) until I had my old focus, then when I got back into a mustang did making it handle matter to me. (my suspension is not stock by the way).

the younger generation (as you put it) are actually just trying to make their car's unique, because as we know almost everyone and their brother has cobra rims and bumper (not hating) I am actually happy for one to see people expanding their views on what looks good on a mustang. whether they call it JDM, EDM or whatever.

Also looking at the times, it is much easier to modify a car for looks and enjoy it vice having a fast car that you can only enjoy on a track or illegally.

I am not trying to start an e-argument just trying explain our point of view.

I know your trying to explain it but the point stands.

It's proven all over the Facebook page every day. Or on here where that's all that's cared about.

Let's put a lip on our cars and make it so low it can't get in a driveway. Or hey let's cut the springs so much you've taken more then just dead coils out and all it does is bounce around and is more dangerous.

There are "younger generation" that use the lip that was designed for function and not just looks. I personally thinks it looks better without the mach lip crammed in there.

Sure it's much easier to modify for looks. That's just in high school who could have more name brand clothes, it's all a popularity contest.

There are more people that care about an all around picture then just the fad of looks.

Never said expanding the views on what looks good or not was a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online