few questions bout my 98 snake - any problems?

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
hey guys.. well as some of you know.. my car is showing the p0174 and p0171 code.. im changing the fuel filter today and if that doesn't help it, i guess ill take it somewhere and have them look at it for vacuum leaks or o2 sensors...

butttt i also have a few more questions... how can i find a vacuum leak? i know by obviously looking to find holes in the tubing but can you hear it? like from inside or outside of the car? and how hard is it to hear it if you can. because im pretty sure it makes a loud whining noise but idk.. and also, how do you know if you have an exhaust leak?

and one last question, how can you tell if your clutch is going out? please give me some details on all three of these things because i dont really know what to look for. and if you guys have any other ideas as to why my car is running lean on bank 1/2, let me know!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
hey guys.. well as some of you know.. my car is showing the p0174 and p0171 code.. im changing the fuel filter today and if that doesn't help it, i guess ill take it somewhere and have them look at it for vacuum leaks or o2 sensors...

butttt i also have a few more questions... how can i find a vacuum leak? i know by obviously looking to find holes in the tubing but can you hear it? like from inside or outside of the car? and how hard is it to hear it if you can. because im pretty sure it makes a loud whining noise but idk.. and also, how do you know if you have an exhaust leak?

and one last question, how can you tell if your clutch is going out? please give me some details on all three of these things because i dont really know what to look for. and if you guys have any other ideas as to why my car is running lean on bank 1/2, let me know!

First if you have a exhaust leak you will know it because of that popping / knocking sound ( I dont know what word to use :dunno: its just annoying ) they are pretty easy to diagnose. The vacuum leak can be more hard to detect, but with your hood up you should be able to hear the sucking sound, try to lightly rev the motor from the tb while you head is right there by the motor. Maybe that will help you hear it :dunno:. As far as the clutch, you know how it feels on a day to day basis, when it starts to get worn out you will feel the change in the pedal, it will feel different as time goes on and eventually being to slip. Also on hard acceleration it will feel like its being dragged out too instead of being engaged and dis-engaged

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
TxCobrA98 said:

First if you have a exhaust leak you will know it because of that popping / knocking sound ( I dont know what word to use :dunno: its just annoying ) they are pretty easy to diagnose. The vacuum leak can be more hard to detect, but with your hood up you should be able to hear the sucking sound, try to lightly rev the motor from the tb while you head is right there by the motor. Maybe that will help you hear it :dunno:. As far as the clutch, you know how it feels on a day to day basis, when it starts to get worn out you will feel the change in the pedal, it will feel different as time goes on and eventually being to slip. Also on hard acceleration it will feel like its being dragged out too instead of being engaged and dis-engaged

thanks brian.. tell me if this sounds like my clutch is going out. let it be noted that i dont burn my clutch up either.. at least i dont think i do.
when i get on the throttle, **SOMETIMES** (being like twice in the past 2 or so months), i will shift into 2nd as im getting on it, and my clutch will not dis-engage. say i shift at 5700, when i shift, it drops to about 4500 and stays at 4500 for like 2 or 3 seconds as the clutch releases itself.. then im back on to shifting into third and so forth.. but it has done that twice to me.. and the past week, it has kinda felt like ive been dropping the clutch to early when im just doing normal shifting. or sometimes, it feels like it takes to long to dis-engage during normal driving.. does that sound like its getting worn out? any idea to know about how much longer it will last if it only does that scenario like once a month if that.... let me know please.. i sooo need a job, im trying so hard. :'( :nonono:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
hmmm not sure if that's a sign of a worn out clutch or some other problem with it ??? If its getting worn it will kind of ride out when your shifting ( if that makes any sense :( ) Your motor will kind of free rev for a second because the clutch is slipping instead of grabbing :-[. How long has it been in and what kind is it?

This sucks talking about this because I DONT KNOW HOW OLD the one in my Cobra is and I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND IT IS :-\ :-\ :-\ Its still doing well, but that could change next week :nonono: A few hundred bucks is not in my budget right now :'(

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
well it does kinda grab if i understand what your saying.. its the stock clutch, so 1998 is when it was put in lol.. when i shifted from first to second, the RPMs only dropped while i had the clutch pushed all the way in (down to 4500 rpms).. once i had released the clutch all the way and got back on the throttle ( i let off the gas when i shift), the RPM's remained at 4500 for a few seconds.. i could feel the clutch not dis-engaging, even though my foot was off of it and i was already giving it throttle.. its only happend twice since ive owned the car.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
well it does kinda grab if i understand what your saying.. its the stock clutch, so 1998 is when it was put in lol.. when i shifted from first to second, the RPMs only dropped while i had the clutch pushed all the way in (down to 4500 rpms).. once i had released the clutch all the way and got back on the throttle ( i let off the gas when i shift), the RPM's remained at 4500 for a few seconds.. i could feel the clutch not dis-engaging, even though my foot was off of it and i was already giving it throttle.. its only happend twice since ive owned the car.

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wait a second, your telling me that the clutch in your car RIGHT NOW is 8 years old ??? ??? ??? ??? And a factory original one ??? ??? Good God!!!!!!!!!! that's the first time I have heard of any clutch lasting that long in a mustang and it being the original crappy ford one at that :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Man for no other reason but age and the fact that its a factory clutch .........get a new one :D

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
TxCobrA98 said:

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wait a second, your telling me that the clutch in your car RIGHT NOW is 8 years old ??? ??? ??? ??? And a factory original one ??? ??? Good God!!!!!!!!!! that's the first time I have heard of any clutch lasting that long in a mustang and it being the original crappy ford one at that :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Man for no other reason but age and the fact that its a factory clutch .........get a new one :D

hahah NOOOOO as far as I know its a stock clutch! ive never owned a clutch so idk how long they last! the guy that owned it before me may have put a new one in it.. but as far as I know, its a stock clutch.... i didn't know they went out that fast.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
TxCobrA98 said:
Snakebit said:
TxCobrA98 said:

hahah NOOOOO as far as I know its a stock clutch! ive never owned a clutch so idk how long they last! the guy that owned it before me may have put a new one in it.. but as far as I know, its a stock clutch.... i didn't know they went out that fast.

well man that would be the first time I have heard of a clutch lasting 8 years :hammer: I think mine usually lasted about a year and a half to two years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online