Final HCI Decision made.. Anything missing?

RichV

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Win, if you see a new/rebuilt set of GT40X aluminum heads for under $600 on ebay, it's a mistake. Or starting bid.

$600 for a rebuilt set of GT40s or GT40P, I'd believe it. Local machine shops will do it for that all day long.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
You should save 8-900 dollars in a savings account and just find some trickflow twisted wedge heads on the internet. Wish I did, trickflow just make the best out of the box heads for a 302 and if your gonna do it, you should do it right the first time. Gt-40 heads are cool but again anything is better than stock lol. Then you get that explorer intake, stage 1 cam and all the rest you should be at 2000 bucks in the end. The porting and polishing is still not close to a trickflow ootb IMO.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
You should save 8-900 dollars in a savings account and just find some trickflow twisted wedge heads on the internet. Wish I did, trickflow just make the best out of the box heads for a 302 and if your gonna do it, you should do it right the first time. Gt-40 heads are cool but again anything is better than stock lol. Then you get that explorer intake, stage 1 cam and all the rest you should be at 2000 bucks in the end. The porting and polishing is still not close to a trickflow ootb IMO.

Tfs 1 can't hold a candle to a wolverine grind. It's been proven.

Hmm 400 vs 900 for the same power #'s

i choose 400

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
Tfs 1 can't hold a candle to a wolverine grind. It's been proven.

Hmm 400 vs 900 for the same power #'s

i choose 400
where do you get that 400 dollars from? your area probably differs in labor for port work and assembly, but 400 isn't getting a set of ported and polished, rebuilt heads. I know because my friend put some on a fox of his and it came out to $700-750. For $150 dollars more i'd go aluminum and better flowing heads and not wait on a machine shop to take months. Plus its 2.02 valve, come on man.

There's nothing wrong other cams but he said he wanted to run a stage 1 trick flow cam which is just fine if he's running a explorer intake to help with bottom end torque because of the heavy body and transmission. I've heard good things about the wolverine 1087 cam tho.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
where do you get that 400 dollars from? your area probably differs in labor for port work and assembly, but 400 isn't getting a set of ported and polished, rebuilt heads. I know because my friend put some on a fox of his and it came out to $700-750. For $150 dollars more i'd go aluminum and better flowing heads and not wait on a machine shop to take months. Plus its 2.02 valve, come on man.

There's nothing wrong other cams but he said he wanted to run a stage 1 trick flow cam which is just fine if he's running a explorer intake to help with bottom end torque because of the heavy body and transmission. I've heard good things about the wolverine 1087 cam tho.

I can pull gt40 heads for 200 every day 125-150 gt40p. Machine work porting polishing and assembling 200-250.

So yeah 400 bucks

plus Joe has a friend that will be doing the work for him. So yeah 400 vs 900. Kind of a no brainer if you ask me.

Is 500 dollars worth maybe 10 hp more. Nope

The Wolverine 1087 cam grind is being duplicated. And works amazing with the gt40/gt40p with the 1.7 crane gold. People pull 280-330 depending if they do port work on the intake runners. It's a tried and true proven combo.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
I can pull gt40 heads for 200 every day 125-150 gt40p. Machine work porting polishing and assembling 200-250.

So yeah 400 bucks

plus Joe has a friend that will be doing the work for him. So yeah 400 vs 900. Kind of a no brainer if you ask me.

Is 500 dollars worth maybe 10 hp more. Nope

The Wolverine 1087 cam grind is being duplicated. And works amazing with the gt40/gt40p with the 1.7 crane gold. People pull 280-330 depending if they do port work on the intake runners. It's a tried and true proven combo.

That's you, you live in Georgia. He's in New York, there could be no explorers or mountaineers in the junkyards around him and he might have to buy them on craigslist. People in my area sell them for 300-400 for regular gt40's and 250-300 for gt40p's. Machine shop prices also vary on the shop he takes them to, and could charge up to 200-300 for porting and polishing and installing the $100-150 dollars springs, oh and may be resurfacing them incase the explorer had a blown headgasket that's another $100. So it all depends on how much the heads he gets and the estimate of labor to do the work.

But, it's all up to him anyway. Gt-40's are great heads, I actually almost went that route but was able to sell them for $400 and im more than happy with my edelbrock's. There are deal everywhere and there has to be deals on craigslist in his area for cheap aluminum heads.

And all cams have different reviews.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
Sometimes it's like talking to air. Some people don't read.

Your saying these heads are cheaper and will make the same amount of power as aluminum heads with port work and a 1.84 intake valve, yeah I guess you are the man to talk to about combos when your trying to put a 5.3 in your shit.

daltonduree

Reaction score
if your going to port them anyways i like my flootek heads so far. got almost 200 miles on them. they need the short turn intake radius shaved down and both of mine had core shift but i ported it to fix them. anyways great heads for the price just need some work out of the box.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Your saying these heads are cheaper and will make the same amount of power as aluminum heads with port work and a 1.84 intake valve, yeah I guess you are the man to talk to about combos when your trying to put a 5.3 in your shit.

See you still couldn't even read.

Quoted myself so you can read and not sound so asinine.

plus Joe has a friend that will be doing the work for him.

Also so to pull yours in here. Where in this sentence or rambling did you say anything about porting the alum heads.

oh don't forget I did own a 347 that would wax 99% of the cars on this board and most on the street. Oh also I duplicated that exact combo he had except I did the wolverine cam.

Give up man. I just caught you in it all.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
We were talking about prices after putting all that work into some stock ford heads. I was saying it will not be worth it and better off getting other heads.

and that's how good your reading skills are, I said that, "same amount of power as aluminum heads, with port work and a 1.84 intake valve" Gt40 heads have the 1.84 valve and are obviously the ones getting port work.

So the mechanic is going to put everything together, great! a job like this I use to charge less than 500 bucks to do. If joe had another type of transportation he can do it himself, one of the easiest motors to take apart and put back together.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
See you still couldn't even read.

Quoted myself so you can read and not sound so asinine.

Also so to pull yours in here. Where in this sentence or rambling did you say anything about porting the alum heads.

oh don't forget I did own a 347 that would wax 99% of the cars on this board and most on the street. Oh also I duplicated that exact combo he had except I did the wolverine cam.

Give up man. I just caught you in it all.

That's cus 99% of the cars here are v6

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

Win

Legend
Reaction score
We were talking about prices after putting all that work into some stock ford heads. I was saying it will not be worth it and better off getting other heads.

and that's how good your reading skills are, I said that, "same amount of power as aluminum heads, with port work and a 1.84 intake valve" Gt40 heads have the 1.84 valve and are obviously the ones getting port work.

So the mechanic is going to put everything together, great! a job like this I use to charge less than 500 bucks to do. If joe had another type of transportation he can do it himself, one of the easiest motors to take apart and put back together.

Your not worth listening to. You obviously don't understand what you say first off. You never said that till after the fact. Get your Sh*t straight man.

Bc obviously if you would have said that before I said that at 1837. I wouldn't have said what I did.

You didn't even say that till 1854. Nowhere in any of your comments before hand did you say that. Did you? Nope you didn't.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
Your not worth listening to. You obviously don't understand what you say first off. You never said that till after the fact. Get your Sh*t straight man.

Bc obviously if you would have said that before I said that at 1837. I wouldn't have said what I did.

You didn't even say that till 1854. Nowhere in any of your comments before hand did you say that. Did you? Nope you didn't.

Let me break it down for you then,
1st. Do it right the first time
2nd. Aluminum heads are better
3rd. Gt-40's are cool, but with port, and rebuild come out to
as much as used aluminum heads.

That's all I wanted to get across...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online