Finally bought my first Mustang (at 44 years old)

svmtbman

Reaction score
So I've always owned import cars through the years (Celica GT-S, Integra GSR, S2000, 370Z) and was looking for something fun to wrench on and play around with. I was talking to a buddy that builds Mustangs and a few weeks ago and he offered to sell me a project car he had built up that had been sitting and not being used for a while. He had bought a Shelby GT500 and it was occupying his time now, so I got a heck of a deal. :smiley:

Here is the info on the car and the mod list, all I can say is that it's fun, fast and handles way better than I imagined a Mustang could. I just changed out the fluids and did a quick wash/vacuum, the interior is in amazing shape. I'll add more pictures and info later, I just wanted to share what I had right now.

1998 Mustang V6 mod list:
Steeda ball joints on front
H&R Race springs
Maximum Motorsports sway bars

Maximum Motorsports height adjustable rear lower control arms
Bilstein shocks
FRPP aluminum driveshaft
FRPP heavy duty throwout bearing
MGW shifter (damn thing shifts better than my S2000 did!)
Screaming Demon coil pack
Ported intake, heads
Custom camshaft
Hardened pushrods
Procharger supercharger with air-to-air intercooler
Matched fuel injectors
Magniflow stainless mufflers with long tube headers (no cats)
LM1 Wideband a/f unit with SCT tuner
05 up slotted maf sensor
Cobra hood, bumper, front brakes (real Cobra parts, not aftermarket)
Knock off Cobra wheels with 275/40/17 Sumitomo HTR Zii tires

8.8 built rear end with 3.73 gears and forged axles
Stage 3 clutch (not sure of brand)

FEA1FE40-2387-4315-B85A-6AFD7D134667_zpsi0epimrq.jpg

55561404-3B59-48CA-87A6-832BE72637F3_zpskkshwun7.jpg

20150819_193130689_iOS_zpsvhx7bvrn.jpg

lutter94

Reaction score
Thats quite a build for a V6 car. Couple guys have em on here. It's just so easy to go V8 :) Clean car though! Welcome to the site.

OP
OP
svmtbman

svmtbman

Reaction score
Thats quite a build for a V6 car. Couple guys have em on here. It's just so easy to go V8 :) Clean car though! Welcome to the site.

Yeah I bought the car for a little more than the Procharger alone cost. I'll post a video at idle soon, the motor sounds amazing for a V6. It's got quite a mean sounding cam in it.

HuskerGT

Reaction score
Welcome and congrats man. I bought the only Mustang I've ever owned at 40 years old

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Sounds like this thing probably puts out a lot of power, especially for a v6. I always appreciate a well built 6r

OP
OP
svmtbman

svmtbman

Reaction score
Any idea what power it makes?. Havnt seen what the supercharge v6s can do.

The builder claims it put down 372hp on the dyno. All I can say is that it is MUCH faster than my 370Z was and it was making 300hp at the wheels. It's running between 8 to 10 psi of boost right now, the motor should easily take up to 16 psi but I don't have any plans to swap out the pulley anytime soon.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
The builder claims it put down 372hp on the dyno. All I can say is that it is MUCH faster than my 370Z was and it was making 300hp at the wheels. It's running between 8 to 10 psi of boost right now, the motor should easily take up to 16 psi but I don't have any plans to swap out the pulley anytime soon.

Nice very impressive. Sounds like that car could hurt some feelings.

OP
OP
svmtbman

svmtbman

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and compliments, I'll try to get a video up this weekend.

OP
OP
svmtbman

svmtbman

Reaction score
Here is a quick teaser....
[video=youtube;IKV8EKrMlEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKV8EKrMlEk[/video]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
your new to mustangs? Has anyone warned you the general opinion from some of the more closed minded mustang people? Its pretty funny that some v8 people will not even want to recognize you even though its got some respectable work done to it. It goes like this, the V8 people like to make fun the of the 6ers, the cobra owners will act like you slept with their daughter if you put a cobra anything on your car, and the Shelby/saleen/upper end mustangs(normally in a matching jacket) like to try and look down on everyone. I have to say at one point I was guilty as well until I met a 6er owner that was pushing 400 hp. After a short talk and him telling me all the stuff he had done to it I realized that he was just another mustang dude like me and he was ok, just like me. I think its generally just in the nature of giving another car guy hell for fun but its easy to get confused and does on both ends.

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Sick build cant wait to see the rest of it man my dad had a 96 v6 with a 70mm and got 400/450 out of it till it threw a rod taking me to school lol now he's going big block 460

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Here is a quick teaser....
[video=youtube;IKV8EKrMlEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKV8EKrMlEk[/video]

I know its kind of late to the party, but WOW! That thing sounds really good. I was surprised to hear this from a V6. Good job bro.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online