finally did some work on it, have some ideas!

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well, as some of you know I have a shared 94 mustang 5.0 convertible. Today I replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel and air filters and ran some seafoam through it. Runs a lot better, still have the seafoam in the gas tank so that will work it's way through.

I say that I LOVE the 5.0L... very easy to work on! Not to mention it's just a better motor!!

Got some stuff to run by you guys. First off, on this motor, do the stock exhaust manifolds look like headers? Because the pipes coming off the cylinder heads look like headers, each cylinder has an independent pipe and they meet at the H pipe. I think they may be shorties? Either that or the stockers are very header-like. I'll get pictures if you would like.

Also, I am thinking about the first mods. I am just biting the bullet here and goin with flowmaster, good price, trusted name and I have never heard flowmasters sound bad. So I was thinking order up like an american thunder kit, get an off road H pipe, and also while I'm under there install an air pump delete kit.

Those several things all at once I think would be good?

I also jacked up the back end of the car (when doing fuel filter) and the diff says "2 88" so I have a horrible ratio here, and according to that no limited-slip... but I turned one wheel, and the other turned the same direction so maybe it does have it? When I burn out, I get two nice black marks!

Any input you give will be appreciated, I totally want to get into this car!

padge

Reaction score
Did mustangs have 2.88 gears? I thought it was 2.73's. The 88 on your diff is probably just the size of the rear end. If you have it jacked up then mark the driveshaft and turn it until the tires do one rotation to figure out your ratio.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
all right I'll check that out next time. Whatever gear is in there, it is totally being upgraded ASAP.

anything to say about the other stuff on it? The manifolds/headers? I really wonder if they are. Also, there is a 'ticking' coming from the front right of the car when I'm on the throttle that sound slike an exhaust leak, haven't done investigating yet but I know it's either on the head to manifold connection or the manifold to H pipe connection.

It has a new clutch but someone seriously half-assed it because I believe they didn't machine the flywheel because it chatters like a mofo... I'm thinkin about putting a crate motor in the car as our big spend item and when that comes i'll just put afresh clutch in it with flywheel or machine the flywheel...

stang94X

Reaction score
the car comes stock with headers but really restrictive, good for nothin headers, their like 1 1/2" if even that size primaries, and for that ticking, without actually hearing it, it might be a worn out header gasket

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
oh okay, cool, thanks... i think i'm just gonna buy an o/r H and flowmaster cat-back...

does anyone have either of these they would be selling used??

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
i have a MAC set of unequal length 2 1/2" headers and an off road X pipe to match that i would sell for $150 plus shipping.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
By the way... how hard are the headers to swap on the 5.0? When I had some stuff out to do the plugs/wires, they didn't look that difficult to access, as in can shorties be swapped with the engine still mounted in the car?

Thanks!

916_5.0

Reaction score
They arent to hard to do i got mine done in one day with the motor in the car. It helps alot if you lift the motor a bit by loosing the motor mounts. And you probably have the stock manifolds like everyine else said they look like really small headers basically. Do full exhuast and it will sound awesome and feel way less restrictive.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
okay well if i buy that x pipe and headers and then get the flowmaster cat-back we'll be golden.

How long do you think it would take to install a full exhaust in my driveway? I have jacks, stands and access to a compressor for my air tools.

How prone to breaking are the manifold-to-cylinder head bolts?

thanks

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
As long as you can get on the bolt real good you should be alright. When I did mine I had to remove the starter and steering linkage but i went full length headers so you might be alright. The bolts youll have trouble with will be on the exhaust itself but since your upgrading just take a cutting wheel to it. :thumb:

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
my plan is to gradually buy headers, mid pipe and cat-back... and then put them all on over one weekend. (maybe two as my luck goes)

So... shorties are easier... figured this much.. not gonna be a track car, but anything is better than stock! So I hope if i hit all the bolts with PB blaster and like you said get on them real good, I should be fine...

few questions, for the manifold/header to cylinder head area... what gasket brand do you reccomend for minimum to no leakage or problems down the road? I also would like to replace all the bolts that mount the manifold/header to the head... any brand reccomendation here?

thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online