Finally installed the VIS carbon fiber y2k cobra R hood

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
been busy getting everything under the hood finished in the mock up stage so I can pull the motor to finish smoothing out the engine bay. Spent the last 3 weeks waiting for hose ends really... But before I pull all that out I wanted to make sure that there was enough space for the bigger alt under the hood and just general fitment.

The good - The weave pattern on the CF looks perfect and the general look of the finished bottom really gives the look of a well made product. It lined up almost perfectly centered and didn't need much adjustment at all.

The bad - The mounting holes for the studs to go through the hinge holes are just a tad small and it makes for a little harder installation then it needs to be. The only real complaint on fitment was that it stops about an 1/8" short of the fenders end but I am willing to bet I can enlarge the holes on the hinge to make install a little easer(just slightly) and then lengthen them just a tad to allow for it to be slid down. Its nice and tight on the top by the cowl so it will not be a problem there.

overall - I can say I am really happy with the general look and fitment. Modifying the holes will not be a big deal to effect how tight/well it holds onto the hood and will make install a little easier as well.

For anyone wanting to know I went through ebay with the company qualityaero and was really happy with their service. They got it shipped out as promised with a tracking number and the freight shipper called the day before to arrange a time to drop it off and the driver called me 30 mins before he got there. He also helped me get it out and open the box for inspection prior to signing for it and taking off.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics. My garage sucks for afternoon pics so I will get some when the sun is down a little further.
7433531404421372-8135fef99c.jpg

Really really happy with the general flow with bumper I modified. :)
9978491404421347-20d0558260.jpg

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Looks great. Really want one of these hoods but not in Carbon Fiber. When are you planning on finishing up body work and painting her?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
The hood looks awesome, I love the carbon fiber. What color are you going to paint the car? Staying with the original green?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Digging the hood Scott looking good as usual ... I'm highly impressed with how far you've came with your build those door handles turned out killer for a guy new to welding and the flares :) ...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thanks fellas. This was really the last part of the mock up before I wanted to pull the motor and that is again something I have never done. I have a friend in my club with a nice drag car he wrenches on that has pulled his motor more then a few times and said if I had everything disconnected from it that he could have it out in an hour. I put the call out to him to see if we could arrange it next week or next weekend just to be sure I gave him enough time and he said lets do it Saturday. I said we didn't need to since it was a holiday weekend and he said he would rather do it then. I guess he is ordering a custom grind cam for his car and lunati told him it would be 4-6 weeks. So I have a bunch of crap to get together now to have ready to pull it out on Saturday.... It occurred to me that I better make sure the hood latch is catching so I put it in tonight and tried it out. It catches the hood in the first grab but when you push it down it will not stay click/stay down. Its lighter then the stock hood so I am not sure that I don't just need to give it a little harder slam but I would rather be sure that there isn't something simple I am missing before doing that? Anyone ever had that issue? The hood latch I am using came off of my parts car and I have not tried it on the new core support so it might be off a little or something but even if I just pushed down on the latch it would not catch. I am going to try the stock hood tomorrow and lengthen the mounting holes to allow for more adjustment of it while its off but if anyone has had similar issues please let me know.

The more I looked at the side profile with the shinoda chin on it the more I like it. Can't wait to see it on the ground aired out.

As for the paint I am going to stick with the stock DFG. The edges of the hood are going to get painted and I might even do a light black candy paint on top of the CF just to knock down its sheen just a little bit as well as on the center of the roof. I am considering either painting the raised louver section green and continue a rally stripe over the roof(as wide as the louvers are) or possibly trying to fade into the strip from the front. As for when, dunno. My original goal was to have it on the road by my birthday at the end of aug but I am pretty sure unless I have a rare continuation of good health(its been 8 weeks since I was in the er last time) and everything on the car falls into line that will be hard to meet. I can't tell you how anxious I am to get it done and just to hear it idle again let alone, feel the air ride go up/down and the new super charger pin me back. It will be done when its ready. Not before even if it means I have to tear off what I just did to do it again/better.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice work Scott! Although the car is a million different colors and in several parts, it looks like the end product is going to be something spectacular. And it may just be the angle but is that a hood a cowl hood or is it a stock hood with the 2000R vent?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its a mix as it has the vents on the side like the stock GT hood has but also has the y2k cobra R louvers/cowl. I will be getting a carbon fiber cowl as well.
4210221404441039-2d20f3fa4d.jpg

Sorry I was going to get better pics but got stuck taking the front end on/off 2 times to get the hood latch installed and then to look at and adjust it and then my friend called to say Saturday we pull the motor so I switched gears. It was pretty dried out and crusty so I gave it some oil and going to let it soak over night. Will try again tomorrow and then take the CF off to modify the hinge mounts and test the stock hood to slam the F out of it and see if it catches. Otherwise I am makin a list of stuff to get done before I can pull the motor and the hood will have to wait a little. If nothing else with the motor out it might make it easy to see/adjust later.

Didn't someone have a page about putting quarter turn fasteners in to hold the bumper on?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thank you after pulling the bumper on/off 3 times tonight I had thought about that post.

chris91

Reaction score
Hood looks good man! I ended up going with the Cervini's 2000 R for mine. Just got the car back from paint yesterday so pics of mine to come as soon as my new lens comes in.

Also, I didnt end up painting the entire center like planned. I went with just the center vents in Matte and it looks killer.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
gotta wait for the lense to come to come in too see it?! Damnit mang its a holiday weekend....

chris91

Reaction score

Cant really tell in that pic though. Ill snap a couple tomorrow as long as it doesnt rain.

RichV

Reaction score
Good lookin' hood, I like it!

Chris91's does not have the GT hood vents, not sure which one looks cleaner. With or without ...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I always liked them but with the louvers they are really not needed. I could go either way honestly but the carbon fiber really has me in love with it. Today I was taking the top of the motor off to get ready to pull it out tomorrow and could not help but admire the depth that it has with the weave. Its still just a tad bright for me but I will knock that down with the candy paint.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Swapped the CF for the stocker today and it latched right down but it was also a little short of the fender. I remembered the hood took a good hit in the accident and that it might have messed up the hinges so I took the hinges off of my parts car and it was still a tad short and didn't latch. I shimmed the latch up a little bit and then it latched down really easily, easier then the stock hood ever did.

So in the end the fitment issues could have been from any number of variables from the wreck like the stock hinges that were in the accident, the core support that was replaced or the hood latch from the parts car. With a little work I am sure it will look as smooth as the stock hood. Today was busy getting everything ready to pull the motor tomorrow as its my friends only day off. It will make it easier to install the aerocatch hood pins though so that is nice. I will post pics here of when it all done with the hood pins as I was not even able to find many pics at all online of the completely flush version I am using.

venom

Reaction score
Hood looks great. How does the hood remove heat? What does the underside look like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online