Finding out about my engine

bigmike636

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum, but have been lurking for quite some time. I bought a 1995 Mustang three years ago which had originally been a factory V6. But the previous owner eventually put in a 5.0 liter engine.
I would like to try and find out as much as I can about the replacement engine. I’ve heard that I should be able to find a VIN on the block but I guess I’m really not sure where ? Can anyone help guide me in locating a casting mark or VIN which will help me find out about the engine that currently resides in my Mustang ? Unfortunately the previous owner passed away and I bought it from an heir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
The original owner was an “old school gear head” who made many mods, some really nice, some not so nice. An example of one of the nice mods Is that I believe he installed a limited slip rear end (I believe’s an 8.8) and a cam, but I have no idea exactly what was done. An example of the “not so nice mods” is the hack and slash wiring that’s all too evident. We found that there no constant 12 volt wire to the radio, so it used to lose presets and current time, every time it was shut off.
I’d like to continue this as a kind of father and son project for my son and I. He loves working on the car ! We’re slowly but surely working through issues one by one.
I’m currently looking into adding the frame stiffeners, as well as adding electric fans possibly from a Ford Contour. Although I’m sure my son could produce a list much longer than the one that I just listed.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t notice your response until late, White95, I’ll have to post pics tomorrow.
Further info that I know, the car has a set of BBK short tube headers with an H pipe and no catalytic converters. Also, the original owner installed an Edelbrock 650 CFM carb rather than utilize fuel injection. The car is a standard transmission with what I believe is a T5, 5 speed, although I’m not sure if it’s one from a V-8 car or not. I got the car cheap, but it runs and drives. Would And it provides plenty of fun so far, cruising in the summertime. But it is, by no means a pretty, trailer queen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
9f2bda2cc53597b327c834c0f044e1e2.jpg

In looking at old pics in my phone, I found one of the Ford intake, with a number on it.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That’s a pretty nice ride!!

According to that part number that is your standard 1983 302 factory intake. The block casting number should be above the starter and the heads will be in the middle of the head by the valve springs.

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Thanks White95, I appreciate the input as well as the info ! I actually bought it as a Fathers Day present to myself three years ago. I bought it through my neighbor who was selling it for his buddy, who had received it from his departed uncle.
When I took it for a spin, my son and one of my daughters accompanied me. I wound up “getting on it” as I was entering the expressway. When I looked at my daughter in the rear view mirror, I saw the expression of sheer terror on her face. At that moment, I knew I had to have this Mustang ! [emoji13]

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Here’s a little video of my SN95 idling, as the kids are inside allegedly cleaning the windows for me.

Sorry, I tried to post a video, but can’t figure out how to yet.

Last edited:

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I guess the big question is are you trying to put it back to stock v6
or the 5.0 l with original fuel injection components
looks to be a nice set up easy to work on
welcome to the forums

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Thanks RAU03MACH for the compliment. I definitely will NOT be installing a V6. Although I may eventually install fuel injection of one kind or another. I’m still trying to sort out how much of the actual original wiring harness that I have. In all honesty though, I don’t think that I would even mind installing all new harness wiring. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as aftermarket wiring harnesses go ? Or would you advocate going with a stock harness ?

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks RAU03MACH for the compliment. I definitely will NOT be installing a V6. Although I may eventually install fuel injection of one kind or another. I’m still trying to sort out how much of the actual original wiring harness that I have. In all honesty though, I don’t think that I would even mind installing all new harness wiring. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as aftermarket wiring harnesses go ? Or would you advocate going with a stock harness ?
is the brain pcm still in the car under the kick panel and glove box passenger side

BigBore96

Reaction score
That's a nice ride.

I'm sure itd be pretty easy to hit up a junk yard and snag all the wiring, sensors, eco, etc that youd need to go back to fuel injected pretty cheap.

Although theres nothing wrong with a carbed car.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Looks clean
Without all the wires tubes and smog crap on it
I have thought about picking up another mustang and putting a 351 Cleveland in it
I still like carbed engines old school

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
I’ll give it another try...

It wasn’t initially a YouTube video, but I figured that may be the easiest way to post it based on your response, white95. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
FYI, I’ll try to get the answers to your questions as soon as I can guys. I’m just trying to knock off a couple errands this morning, first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boostr1

Reaction score
I’ll give it another try...

It wasn’t initially a YouTube video, but I figured that may be the easiest way to post it based on your response, white95. Thanks for the heads up.

It definetly has a cam in it... sounds nice. I would keep it carbed.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Very cool. Looks like an older small block, or at least the front cover is by the looks of the water pump. Got a nice lope to it at idle. There are a lot of aftermarket options for EFI, I think I would go with something modern that is a bit easier to work with and tune.

Very nice car though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online