Finding out about my engine

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. My son and I wound up pulling the valve covers off to see if we could determine what kind of heads we have. I was happy to see the head bolts are ARP. [emoji16] The heads are definitely Ford factory heads.
abbc66550584eb8f3573e800fc5ddaed.jpg

Please don’t rip on me about the cleanliness of the engine. We haven’t had a chance to clean up the engine bay. But I can hear gears turning in my 16 yr old son’s head, so I’m sure that I’ll be supporting his latest vehicle project. He’s been crabbing about “how could they paint a 302 cid Ford engine black and NOT Ford blue ?” If I had to guess painting the block and valve covers should be worth an extra 25-30 horsepower, right ? [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Seeing that we will be replacing the valve cover gaskets, what type/brand would you guys use ? Cork or rubber ? Should I use a shellac on both sides ?
fab4af8d5548c5f5a276d864b469aca7.jpg

BigBore96

Reaction score
Go with a good rubber set. I've never been a fan of cork

It's been a while since messing with a pushrod 5.0 but I know some of the cheap gaskets for the mods fit terribly or not at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Thanks BigBore96, I’m the same way. I prefer the rubber to cork. My son just replaced the valve cover gaskets on my old Chevy pickup and I picked up a set of Fel Pro rubber gaskets. They went on easily and no leaks so far.

OP
OP
bigmike636

bigmike636

Reaction score
Yes, Boostr1, I have thought about installing roller rockers. But I would definitely want to perform a tear down to make sure that there’s still plenty of life in my internals (valves, rings, bearings, etc) before actually performing that upgrade.

Akurma

Reaction score
I’ll give it another try...

It wasn’t initially a YouTube video, but I figured that may be the easiest way to post it based on your response, white95. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow that sounds really damn good! I like the fact that from the outside you can't really tell that it's got a 302 under the hood :cool: Also would have to agree, do the rubber gaskets over the cork ones

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online