Finished PI cam & intake swap

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Wes8398, May 24, 2007.

1. scarface

scarface Guest

congrats on the new parts :)

I think those of you who are concerned about the RTV thing dont realize how small the amount you use with the PI gaskets is...It is for the coolant passage, and I ran 12-14 psi for a long time with no issues.

Do what you want, but dont be scared of it.

2. AUTOBAHN

AUTOBAHN Member

From what I was told the Ford tool holds the chains better in place. With the Anderson tool I had to hold the tool with one hand to make sure it held in place while changing the cam with my other hand. If I used it again I would definatly have someone else there helping.

3. ck5.0

ck5.0 Active Member

Good info thanks guys.
    Anyone got a Ford tool laying around they don't need??????? ;) :)

4. padge

padge New Member

When I get my parts I'm just going to use the RTV sealant, cheap is good :thumb:

5. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

Would the cheapest way with the most power gains to do the swap parts wise be PI cams, PI intake (what's a crossover?), and keeping the stock npi heads? I thought the main point of the swap is to get rid of the restrictive nonPI heads.

6. padge

padge New Member

7. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

The heads arent all that restrictive...when you look at the dyno numbers, most of the gains are actually just from the PI cams swap and PI intake swap. In other words, its mostly the NPI intake thats the bigger restriction.

8. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

^^^Thanks man, you can tell I don't post much in the tech sections as I forgot all about that thread. :-[

9. Red96GT

Red96GT Legend

Ok I see. I remember talking to DropTopPony a while ago and him telling me the limiting factor on our 4.6s is the bore and how small it is. Since our stroke is already nearly that of a 351, it is where our displacement and power comes from.

Another question I have is why a tune is highly recommended after the swap? Air/fuel ratio, timing, etc? I'm not trying to cut corners, I am just wondering what they would be making adjustments to.

10. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

If its raw naturally aspirated power, then sometimes displacement can have an effect on hp...BUT....the 4.6 having a small bore and large stroke is not entirely limiting. This would be equivalent to large bore small stroke....Power is found in the overall "heads/cam(s)/intake" combination, and of course the extra displacment via longer stroke, bigger bore certainly helps as well....

When it comes to the 4.6, it already has a big stroke..and it would make more power with a slightly larger bore....but then you need a good head (ie 4v head as apposed to 2v head) to help feed the cylinders with air.....

But overall, a topic like this can get very deep in to the technical mumbo jumbo...

Youre second question, why have the car tuned...well since you are allowing the engine to ingest more air = need in more fuel (A/F ratio), and playing with the timing etc to maximize the power safely.....you can run around with the PI swap without a tune, but you'll benefit more with a tune....

11. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 New Member

If you look around a little, you can find some great deals. That livernois intake kit is easy, but for $500? I just went and picked up a used PI intake for $85, you just have to look around.

12. padge

padge New Member

Ditto. Look on forum classifieds (Corral, Mustang Forums, SN95, etc), and check on ebay. I got both my intake and cams off ebay for $213 Canadian shipped :thumb:.

13. MustangMatt96GT

MustangMatt96GT Well-Known Member

I got a quick question! Does anybody happen to have pictures of how much RTV to use with the PI gaskets? And also I was suprized that no one said this, but if you buy a PI intake with the aluminum crossover you have to have a second coolant temperature hole drilled and tapped! 3/8 x 18 is hard to find! lol But I did see that the Livernois kit already had the second hole! Thanks and if anybody has pictures of how much silicon to use around the coolant passages that would be great!! Thanks!

14. Dalamar

Dalamar Post Whore Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

That's cool man, congrads and enjoy :)

15. nesqwick_05

nesqwick_05 Active Member

they dont say anywher how much rtv to put on the gaskets, i heard though that its best to put it on the intake and not the gaskets but who knows. im pretty sure on the pi intake, you can use the aluminum x over that is from the npi(thats what i did if you dont have the npi one tough luck i guess get the drill lol)

16. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

You only need a small dab of RTV and you can order the correct size online from mcmaster-carr 3/8-18 NPT

[attachment deleted by admin]

17. spitfirees20

spitfirees20 New Member

I have been looking for those pictures for forever, thank you so much :D

18. nesqwick_05

nesqwick_05 Active Member

so u dont use any rtv to seal the gaskets?? i didnt the first time i did the swap and it leaked everywhere, when i did use the rtv to seal it it didnt leave anything but ran like ass... hmmm

19. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Did you use the PI gasket or NPI gasket?

20. Magic

Magic Well-Known Member

rtv silicone should not affect the way the car runs...