Finished PI cam & intake swap

S

scarface

congrats on the new parts :)

I think those of you who are concerned about the RTV thing dont realize how small the amount you use with the PI gaskets is...It is for the coolant passage, and I ran 12-14 psi for a long time with no issues.

Do what you want, but dont be scared of it.

AUTOBAHN

Reaction score
ck4.6 said:
What did you have to be careful on? Just wondering. I keep hearing about the Anderson tool bending. I know that Snap On makes one to, any ideas as to why the ford one is better?

From what I was told the Ford tool holds the chains better in place. With the Anderson tool I had to hold the tool with one hand to make sure it held in place while changing the cam with my other hand. If I used it again I would definatly have someone else there helping.

ck5.0

Reaction score
Good info thanks guys.
Anyone got a Ford tool laying around they don't need??????? ;) :)

padge

Reaction score
When I get my parts I'm just going to use the RTV sealant, cheap is good :thumb:

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Would the cheapest way with the most power gains to do the swap parts wise be PI cams, PI intake (what's a crossover?), and keeping the stock npi heads? I thought the main point of the swap is to get rid of the restrictive nonPI heads.

padge

Reaction score
img-457-large.jpg

See that silver piece on the intake, thats the aluminum crossover.

Read this http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=116.0

Magic

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
I thought the main point of the swap is to get rid of the restrictive nonPI heads.

The heads arent all that restrictive...when you look at the dyno numbers, most of the gains are actually just from the PI cams swap and PI intake swap. In other words, its mostly the NPI intake thats the bigger restriction.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Magic said:
Red96GT said:
I thought the main point of the swap is to get rid of the restrictive nonPI heads.

The heads arent all that restrictive...when you look at the dyno numbers, most of the gains are actually just from the PI cams swap and PI intake swap. In other words, its mostly the NPI intake thats the bigger restriction.

Ok I see. I remember talking to DropTopPony a while ago and him telling me the limiting factor on our 4.6s is the bore and how small it is. Since our stroke is already nearly that of a 351, it is where our displacement and power comes from.

Another question I have is why a tune is highly recommended after the swap? Air/fuel ratio, timing, etc? I'm not trying to cut corners, I am just wondering what they would be making adjustments to.

Magic

Reaction score
Red96GT said:
Ok I see. I remember talking to DropTopPony a while ago and him telling me the limiting factor on our 4.6s is the bore and how small it is. Since our stroke is already nearly that of a 351, it is where our displacement and power comes from.

Another question I have is why a tune is highly recommended after the swap? Air/fuel ratio, timing, etc? I'm not trying to cut corners, I am just wondering what they would be making adjustments to.

If its raw naturally aspirated power, then sometimes displacement can have an effect on hp...BUT....the 4.6 having a small bore and large stroke is not entirely limiting. This would be equivalent to large bore small stroke....Power is found in the overall "heads/cam(s)/intake" combination, and of course the extra displacment via longer stroke, bigger bore certainly helps as well....

When it comes to the 4.6, it already has a big stroke..and it would make more power with a slightly larger bore....but then you need a good head (ie 4v head as apposed to 2v head) to help feed the cylinders with air.....

But overall, a topic like this can get very deep in to the technical mumbo jumbo...

Youre second question, why have the car tuned...well since you are allowing the engine to ingest more air = need in more fuel (A/F ratio), and playing with the timing etc to maximize the power safely.....you can run around with the PI swap without a tune, but you'll benefit more with a tune....

spitfirees20

Reaction score
If you look around a little, you can find some great deals. That livernois intake kit is easy, but for $500? I just went and picked up a used PI intake for $85, you just have to look around.

padge

Reaction score
Ditto. Look on forum classifieds (Corral, Mustang Forums, SN95, etc), and check on ebay. I got both my intake and cams off ebay for $213 Canadian shipped :thumb:.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I got a quick question! Does anybody happen to have pictures of how much RTV to use with the PI gaskets? And also I was suprized that no one said this, but if you buy a PI intake with the aluminum crossover you have to have a second coolant temperature hole drilled and tapped! 3/8 x 18 is hard to find! lol But I did see that the Livernois kit already had the second hole! Thanks and if anybody has pictures of how much silicon to use around the coolant passages that would be great!! Thanks!

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
I got a quick question! Does anybody happen to have pictures of how much RTV to use with the PI gaskets? And also I was suprized that no one said this, but if you buy a PI intake with the aluminum crossover you have to have a second coolant temperature hole drilled and tapped! 3/8 x 18 is hard to find! lol But I did see that the Livernois kit already had the second hole! Thanks and if anybody has pictures of how much silicon to use around the coolant passages that would be great!! Thanks!

they dont say anywher how much rtv to put on the gaskets, i heard though that its best to put it on the intake and not the gaskets but who knows. im pretty sure on the pi intake, you can use the aluminum x over that is from the npi(thats what i did if you dont have the npi one tough luck i guess get the drill lol)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:

You only need a small dab of RTV and you can order the correct size online from mcmaster-carr 3/8-18 NPT

[attachment deleted by admin]

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
so u dont use any rtv to seal the gaskets?? i didnt the first time i did the swap and it leaked everywhere, when i did use the rtv to seal it it didnt leave anything but ran like ass... hmmm

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nes said:
so u dont use any rtv to seal the gaskets?? i didnt the first time i did the swap and it leaked everywhere, when i did use the rtv to seal it it didnt leave anything but ran like ass... hmmm

Did you use the PI gasket or NPI gasket?

Magic

Reaction score
nes said:

rtv silicone should not affect the way the car runs...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online