Finished PI cam & intake swap

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
i used pi gaskets, it ran like crap because the coolant leaked on to my spark plugs apon removal
but do i use the silicone gasket maker or anything to seal these gaskets ( when i didnt it leaked a whole lot thats y i asked)

how would i go about using npi gaskets though? i never even thought about that... which way is reccommended, and y? and if i did use the npi gaskets what would need to be done differently?

spitfirees20

Reaction score
nes said:
i used pi gaskets, it ran like crap because the coolant leaked on to my spark plugs apon removal
but do i use the silicone gasket maker or anything to seal these gaskets ( when i didnt it leaked a whole lot thats y i asked)

how would i go about using npi gaskets though? i never even thought about that... which way is reccommended, and y? and if i did use the npi gaskets what would need to be done differently?

What are you talking about? coolant leaked on your spark plugs on removal of the manifold? Didn't you drain the coolant system first? Also, npi gaskets are horrible to use because you have to use a ton of silicone. If you look at the pictures above, it's just one small spot on both heads, as opposed to the whole side of the gasket with npi. More rtv sealant seems worse, I'm talking a significant amount more, but it's your choice.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
yes i did, the first 5 times i did it, the 6th time i broke the coolant drain plug to where it has to be surgically removed... sad i know but i had nothing else left to do...

i had no more time to drain it any other way, it was 4 am on a school night and i was extremely tired

96sn95gt

Reaction score
i used the pi gaskets and cillicon and they leaked in the cylinders so i took them off and put npi on now it runs great you have to trace the intake with cillicon i didnt mined cant go wrong with to much rtv

Boomer!

Reaction score
HA HA !!!!! I was the one that did the original swap for Wes. That dude is a nice guy, I will say his car was one of the first I tried changing the timing on. although I don't believe he has had it on the dyno (yet) it is a strong runner. I did one a couple of weeks after for a local guy and he netted a total of 47 rwhp, I would assume wes's car was close to the same.

The trick to the rtv is to give It time to set, even using a heat gun at a distance will increase cure time. The P.I gasket way is far better if you are patient, using the npi gasket could lead to a lean condition if you lose the RTV around the intake port. The adapter plates people speak of also require a tune to be as close to effective as just using the gasket method, moving the injector further from the valve will have an adverse effect on injector timing and interfere with intake pulse(air). This can lead to driveability issues that even with a tune are hard to overcome.

Most people are going blah blah , but it is proven that the turbulence caused form the transition without the adapters actually helps increase the velocity and swirl or the air passing thru the transitional area. This effect is used by Nascar engineers on restricter plate engines to overcome the choked down plates below the carb., it actually increases the atomization of the air and fuel creating a more efficient/strong burn of the fuel. Again science comes into ply with automotive fun !!!!!!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good info Boomer.

Rough in, Smooth out - Right ;)

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I used PI gasket's back when, and let it sit for 30 minutes before dropping the intake on. Then i let it sit overnight before firing it. I didn't have any trouble for over a yeay with it.

S

scarface

96sn95gt said:
i used the pi gaskets and cillicon and they leaked in the cylinders so i took them off and put npi on now it runs great you have to trace the intake with cillicon i didnt mined cant go wrong with to much rtv
you only need two drops of RTV on the water ports when using the PI gaskets?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online