First Build Mapping Help

Shocker6

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals, I have my 98 cobra vert almost at the point to start swapping in new plugs, wires, etc….

New TKX and a Yukon rear broken in with 4.10s and working on my coil overs atm. Have some MM in the suspension but I’m feeling good moving forward with what I have and can easily upgrade here and there.

When I scooped her up sometime about a year ago, she was super fast off the line but that has gradually stopped. The car was really not being used at all for the previous 5 years minus a start here and there in the garage.

Obviously, spark plugs need to be swapped out among a wide array of other things.

My deal is, yes, it’s my first build, yes, first time wrenching on a car myself(I really enjoy it tbh) and I know I’m going to f up. It’s a fact. It will happen. But I’m gong to make sure it isn’t a big f up. Especially money wise lol.

So, I can get new plugs, wires, screaming demon coil packs….but I know I need new fuel injectors. That’s where I’m stuck and it’s another rabbit hole I dont know where to land. I have no idea how to plan this out. I’m leaning towards nitrous cuz it’s a vert and it’s cheap. I dont know. The Holley terminator and that fancy efi….I’m overwhelmed and I dont want to waste money doing this twice. Yes, I’m researching but iit would be nice to hear your opinions and maybe a little guidance.

Thanks in advance

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Injectors most likely are fine for now . Personally if you can find a used Vortech supercharger kit that’s the way I’d go . These cobras are a blast on a 100 shot though .

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
That’s not a bad idea. I’ll look into it while getting the wires, plugs, etc together. Speaking of that, what’s up with ford performance sparkplug wires? I’m seeing some negative reviews. Wonder if it’s just a bad batch here and there from their volume. Granatellis (sp?) are really expensive but are they worth the price?
And what about spark plugs? Iridium? Sorry if I’m asking redundant questions but a lot of questions are from the early/mid2000s. What if the tech has changed, new vendors, etc.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You don't really need iridiums unless you are determined to extend the spark plug change interval out to like 100,000 miles. That's really all they're good for. They don't add any performance.

If you're determined to do nitrous, colder spark plugs will be needed, and recommend it's a wet jet nitrous system. You'll need a dyno tune to make sure the car never leans out under load (and especially under nitrous load), and a means to monitor it like a wideband gauge and better yet a lean protection module.

If a car has merely sat for a long time, your ignition system is probably fine. Those components deteriorate under mileage, not time. But the oil, oil filter, fuel, and fuel filter will need changing as well as the brake fluid. Wouldn't worry about injectors unless there's actually a problem. Cross that bridge when you get to it or you might be needlessly spending money and time on things that are just fine.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Please for the love of god do not buy screamin demon coil packs. All “performance” coil packs are junk.

Not apples to apples but I needed a new set of plug wires for my 87 Grand Marquis about a year ago. There were so many options but I ended up going with carquest and it’s been running great since. Any decent plug wires will suffice until you’re making a lot more power than stock.

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
Please for the love of god do not buy screamin demon coil packs. All “performance” coil packs are junk.

Not apples to apples but I needed a new set of plug wires for my 87 Grand Marquis about a year ago. There were so many options but I ended up going with carquest and it’s been running great since. Any decent plug wires will suffice until you’re making a lot more power than stock.
Gotcha. So, I went ahead and tried the C&L packs and they just arrived along with ford racing wires, oil and fuel filters. Also, new EBC slotted front and rear rotors with brake pads. Trying to get those in while I’m still messing with my coil overs. And while I’m doing that, why not paint the calipers? The tears are pretty much dialedf with one more coat of clear to go. So, that’s another project within the project lol

OP
OP
Shocker6

Shocker6

Reaction score
OE COil packs are the best your gonna get.
So, I have motorcraft packs in right now. Liek I posted above, I went with c&l. Price was reasonable I guess.
I’m getting multiple misfires and from what I read, coil packs are another box that needs to be checked like new spark plugs, etc.
Needless to say, I’m very excited to be done with suspension and brakes and get into the engine bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online