First car potential ?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your son sounds pretty amazing! I don’t see the harm in getting him the car, but with parameters. Encourage that direction he seems to be heading in. He also seems to be very responsible and composed, but I’d still have a sit-down to go over things. A first car (and just HAVING a car) is a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT, so it is his to lose, etc etc. That kind of stuff!

maillemaker

Reaction score
I am not in favor of giving teenage boys sports cars. My son is 14. He won't be driving my Mustang. We'll get an econobox of some kind.

The problem with teenage boys is that they tend to be risk-takers, and they do not realize that they lack enough experience to be able to perform valid "what-if-this-happens" calculations before they act.

This is compounded with the fact that due to years and years of having ridden in cars as passengers, driving appears to be very easy. But in reality it only looks that way because your parents have decades of experience so that as adults we nearly drive "on instinct". Child drivers have not driven enough to have developed the instincts, and so they must drive deliberately and with complete attention.

I got in two wrecks as a teenager (destroyed dad's ancient Explorer truck, and fender-bender in my Chevette). None were driven by trying to be cool or drive fast and still I got into them from lack of experience.

You do have modern tools today like Life360 that can rat on a kid, and them just knowing this could be enough to stay on the straight and narrow.

I am just very leery of putting a sports car into the hands of a teenager.

Not to mention, your insurance will be astronomical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online