First mustang project

Jake-96-gt

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 96 mustang Gt with a heavy duty clutch that breaks legs when you try to engage it, which isn't ideal considering I'm 15. What clutch do you guys recommend that is easy to use?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It may not be the clutch. It could possibly be the clutch cable. They are wonderful about gumming up and fraying!

Welcome along!

Now if you are looking for a good clutch to an otherwise stock powered car, anything the local parts house offers is just fine. I dought you are gonna find an easier on the leg operating clutch over a low buck clutch. Id say start by checking out the clutch cable and possibly clutch quadrant too.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would have to agree that the stock clutch was harder to push than my 4 cylinder ranger but I never had a problem kicking the clutch when I was 18. As blak said replace the cable, give the quadrant a good inspection and see what that buys you.

Akurma

Reaction score
First off, welcome! Post up some pictures of your Mustang!

Piggybacking on what the other two members have said, start with checking the clutch quadrant (located under the dash) a good inspection. If you decide to replace the clutch cable i highly recommend getting either a Ford, Steeda or Maximum motorsports cable. Almost all of the other cables are not made to the same standard and often snap, leaving you without a clutch and making a drive home much more difficult.

If the clutch still hasn't improved, then consider replacing the clutch with anything the local parts store has or even something off of RockAuto.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
and if you do the clutch cable do not get an adjustable cable, but do get a firewall clutch cable adjuster. I think I got mine from steeda for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litelmac

Members online