First mustang today, former mopar enthusiast

sn95GT302

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm Ryan from Ohio. Today I am traveling up to Detroit to pick up a 95 GT 302 5 speed. It's in great shame from what I can tell. I can't figure out how to post pics of it on here. I'm going to have about 600$ extra to play with and want to know the best bang for the buck with the money I have. I'm thinking 3.90 gears will be the first thing. It already has exhaust, CAI, mad ignition and a few other things. What are the best things to do for the 302. I would like this to be a mid-low 14 second car.

Thank you

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm Ryan from Ohio. Today I am traveling up to Detroit to pick up a 95 GT 302 5 speed. It's in great shame from what I can tell. I can't figure out how to post pics of it on here. I'm going to have about 600$ extra to play with and want to know the best bang for the buck with the money I have. I'm thinking 3.90 gears will be the first thing. It already has exhaust, CAI, mad ignition and a few other things. What are the best things to do for the 302. I would like this to be a mid-low 14 second car.

Thank you

Welcome to the community! Ill post a link at the bottom that shows how to post pictures. Youll need a photo hosting site like photobucket. Gears would definitely be the best bang for buck when it comes to mods. Then focus on suspension, like subframe connectors and better springs with a good set of rear control arms. After that itll likely be a head and cam swap to be anything noticeable. More guys will chime in and give opinions on this. Again, welcome, looking forward to see what you have planned for this thing.

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?58966-How-To-Uploading-and-Posting-Pics

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!
My car ran 14.61 @ 97 on street tires with an automatic. Stock long block, cobra intake and roller rockers, full exhaust, 3.73's and tubular rear control arms were about the only noteworthy mods at the time. After swapping to a 5 speed I dropped about a second slower, but it could be better with slicks and a driver mod :deeplist:

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome!

And gears. After that, there's a bunch of things you can do ;)

PinkieT

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, welcome from another Buckeye! Where in the state are you?

I had a guy offer me stupid money for my Mopar (70 Road Runner 440 six pack 4-spd) so I sold it and bought a 98 Mustang Gt ragtop to play with.

OP
OP
S

sn95GT302

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I took it to summit in Norwalk today and the best I can manage is 15.3. it's got a bunch of mods but I'm sure the gears are still 2.71. it's blowing some smoke out of the exhaust and wants to idle high. The car has an A/F gauge and it just bounces back and forth between lean and rich the whole time. I don't know if maybe it's a maf sensor or what. It wants to idle around 1100 and drift up and down a bit. from what I can tell...it's got some kind of headers, and x-pipe and then the exhaust just stops under the car right after the muffler. It has a CAI, MSD ignition box, MSD distributor and wires. Some kind of racing clutch and some kind of shirt throw shifter. I'm having difficulty getting it to go into gear also. You really have to jam it in when shifting. I'll have to check the fluid in the transmission. If I had to add some what kind of oil do I put in it? I will post pics once I get a photobucket. It also has different wheels from a newer year mustang with like 10" wide nitros on the back. It also seems to be lowered a bit. I'm going to take it to CRT performance in Norwalk (mustang speed shop) and just have them look it over and hopefully tell me what I need to fix and why it's burning oil.

Thank you for the help

Nighttrain

Reaction score
FRPP best quality. Check your iac motor too. Also is the clutch still grabbing when youre trying to get into gear? Personally unless youre going to strickly race it id go with 3.73's if its still your daily 3.90 or 4.10's would probably be too low. The other issue could be synchroes, you also want to check to be sure it definetly has a short throw, the factory shifter didnt come with selector stops and can cause damage if you do any hard shifting. Upgrade wise, besides gears id do sfc. You will notice right away why i say this after you get them welded in. Besides that have fun with it, there are a ton of cheap upgrades you can do to a 302. Find a explorer with a 5.0 and grab the upper and lower intake, even the heads if you can get a deal.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Welcome to our craziness! I have a 94 5spd & it is a ball to drive! I can't imagine what it will be like if it made some power!@ LOL...going from 2:73's to 3:73's will make your car drive so much easier! I put in 3:55's as I drive the freeways a lot. I even gained 1mpg!! After your gears look into MM full length subframes welded in to really help your car handle better! & MM Lower Control arms stop all wheel hop on launch & going around corners ...both are my favorite mods! Enjoy yourself...

OP
OP
S

sn95GT302

Reaction score
FRPP best quality. Check your iac motor too. Also is the clutch still grabbing when youre trying to get into gear? Personally unless youre going to strickly race it id go with 3.73's if its still your daily 3.90 or 4.10's would probably be too low. The other issue could be synchroes, you also want to check to be sure it definetly has a short throw, the factory shifter didnt come with selector stops and can cause damage if you do any hard shifting. Upgrade wise, besides gears id do sfc. You will notice right away why i say this after you get them welded in. Besides that have fun with it, there are a ton of cheap upgrades you can do to a 302. Find a explorer with a 5.0 and grab the upper and lower intake, even the heads if you can get a deal.

The clutch feels like it may be slightly engaged when I press it down and try to shift. You really have to jam it in gear and it has to be hard and fast or you basically have to just try again. The guy claimed it had a racing clutch that was adjustable or something and he had it adjusted all the way to one way or something. How hard is it to change the gear to a 3.73? Im not too confident in my abilities. Only thing I've ever done with a rear end is taking the cover off and changing the fluid. I'm really more worried about the motor though. It blows my some whit blue/white smoke on startup and hard acceleration. I just hope it's not something internal. I can't afford to do piston rings or something. I got some MAF cleaner today. Going to take it off and try to clean it up. If that doesn't help ill try the IAC. Thank you

Nighttrain

Reaction score
If you have an adjustable clutch cable some brands are better than others. Steeda makes a really good one, and they are fairly inexpensive and easy to change. Should come with directions also. But before you go buy one, most have two spots to hook the cable up at the quadrant. Try switching the cable to the other hole and adjust from there. You want the clutch to fully engage an inch or two from the floor. With your motor do a compression test. You want the compression to be around 180-185 psi on all cylinders. Its ok to have some fluctuation between cylinders, but no more than 5-7 psi. There are threads on all of this stuff. If you know righty, tighty, lefty loosy we can walk you through each step. Pics help too. Next would be to check your coolant make sure your not loosing any anywhere. We are here to help bud, just ask.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The maximum motorsports clutch cable kit is by far the best. The OEM cable is the one they provide, and it is better than any aftermarket cable.

OP
OP
S

sn95GT302

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I guess I'll go over to the technical forums from here on out.

OP
OP
S

sn95GT302

Reaction score
Hi Ryan, welcome from another Buckeye! Where in the state are you?

I had a guy offer me stupid money for my Mopar (70 Road Runner 440 six pack 4-spd) so I sold it and bought a 98 Mustang Gt ragtop to play with.

I'm in Norwalk right next to summit. If you ever head to the strip let me know

OP
OP
S

sn95GT302

Reaction score
Yep, literally right next to the track. I've actually worked there before lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member