First Post-Help with 5.0 Oil Leak

Joshblck1

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post here and I just wanted to give a run through of my car and see if I could get a few pointers from people who have experience with there engines.
Just to point out- I am aware that the search button is my friend so if theres something I ask that is commonly threaded I apologize and Im sure Ill find the correct theads/ searches eventually.
I just picked up a very clean 94 Mustang gt 5 speed 3 days ago and so far I love the car. I am 22 and this my first 5.0, I love mustangs and cars in general but I will admit that this is my first time doing any major work on a car. I have access to a garage any tools that you could think of as well as enough of a budget get the car in tip top shape( not talking drag racing, just reliability wise). I have done oil changes/brakes/ a/c work/ some electrical/body work/ and various other small jobs I can't think of right now. I also have a Haines manual for the car to help but like I said I am looking for some advice from people that might help me avoid some wild goose chases. So here is my list of things I know need to be done, feel free to give me any things I need to do as well.

The car basically needs a tune up so the basics I think I have down based on some other threads Ive read.

Heres my main problem, the car have a fairly large oil leak coming from a place unknown and I would just like to know what are the top places I should check for an oil leak. The car runs very well so I have no symptoms besides the evidence of oil leaking under my car and the dipstick level decreasing. Based on my inspection I was thinking a valve cover gasket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I am posting this in the wrong section I am sorry, just looking for some help.
Thanks!

Suspect

Reaction score
Id check the rear main seal. But if its just a vc leak id be happy.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
clean that engine up and get on the hunt :)

a few easy to check spots:
front main seal at the bottom of the timing cover.
rear main seal, dripping oil from the transmission's bell housing.
oil filter seal.

:)

welcome to the site! We're happy to have you here.

5-oh-MUSTANG

Reaction score
Ive just replaced my rear main seal and changed trannys, the fluid looks like a darkish brownish color lol. Guessing its the oil pan? I've heard if u use synthetic oil, some slips through the seal since its so thin.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
As already stated, valve cover gaskets, oil pan. and front and rear main seals.
5.0's are very reliable and can take a fair amount of abuse too.
I have over 200,000 miles on my bone stock 5.slow in my 95. And there's no signs of it ending soon either. I do have some seeping and weaping, but it is 13 years old and 200k+.

toyman

Reaction score
Main oil leaks have been covered. Rear main, valve covers, oil pan and the lower intake are the usual areas. Some can be very deceiving though. Probably the best investment in your toolbox is a code reader. For $22 you will save that amount 20 times over by not replacing good parts that were merely thought to be bad. When you do the tune-up don't forget to clean the MAF sensor element. Additionally, remove and clean the battery to engine and engine to chassis grounds. So critical for sensors to work properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online