First time at the track today, come laugh at my expense..

94nightmare

Reaction score
Well, today my car club rented beech bend raceway, in bowling green,ky, it was also my first track experience ever. First let me tell you about the car. It is a mostly stock 94 Gt that I traded my old 87 lx coupe for. The only mods done are an x-pipe with flowmasters and dumps and 4.10 gears. Coming in I made my first pass without cooling down. My R/T was a .497 60 was 2.470 and ended up with a 16.504 in the 1/4. Start laughing now. :-[ I made about 10 passes all day with my best run being a 15.942 with a reaction time of .129 and a 60 ft of 2.329. Tires are 225/ 55/16 street tires. I know my 60 ft is really killing me. I couldnt hook at all on launch, but it seemed I got better 60's footbraking and hammering on it, then trying to pedal it out. The car is an automatic by the way. It also found out that the x- pipe that is on was some offbrand that was beat in to clear the oil pan, but i dont know how much that would have held me back.. Anyways, id like to know what you all think, How bad of a driver am I?

Demolisher

Reaction score
bad bahahhahahahaha :gtfo: nah dude jk ive never ran at the track so i dont no what i would do lol

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
It's only your first time at the track. Practice will make you a better driver. But you have to toss those 225 tires. Get some stickier and wider meats in the rear!!!!!

jpajkos

Reaction score
+1 on the tires. When you can try looking at the BFG KD's pricey but put those on your read with some good lower control arms to help you plant that ass down on the track. Those 2 simple things will defiantly help you out. My first time at the track I was the same way. Just relax too when your out there.

joefelly3888

Reaction score
today was also my first time at the track. Went to island dragway in jersey. First time at the track sucked. Dont know where to go and shit like that. so anyway, with the mods in my car i thought i would run ok, nothing to great or nothing bad. I lowered my tire pressure to about 16 psi and went up for my first time trial. I wanted to power brake it and launch at around 2k. Well i was wrong and my car kept on moving and i DQ my first run. Kinda sucked. Second run i didnt rev it up at all just took off. My reaction time was a .6 :-\, 60ft was 2.241 and i ran a 15.441 at 83.63 mph. But in this run i let off the gas way before i crossed the finish line, so i think with more experience and a proper launch i could hit 14s. I had the first time at the track butterflies and shit. Maybe taking off some weight like the big sub, amp, and maybe even the back seats would help my e/t go down.

OP
OP

94nightmare

Reaction score
Yeah, i was foot braking to around 1800, any more than that and I would start spinning at the tree. I think a little more tire would have helped me out alot. a 225 just cant hold back a 4.10 gear. Still no excuse for running as slow as i did though. Matt be careful, it is very addicting. you want to keep making pass after pass, just knowing how hard you are beating on your car but you still do it. Actually my best time today was the 3rd of 3 back to back passes I made.

jimgt95

Reaction score
Wow!!! High 15s and slower??!! Bone stock your cars should be in the low 15's. The tires, extra stereo equipment, and automatics are the biggest problems. Driver skill also plays a big role. The more you practice, the better you will be. It's tough being a newbie at the track but once you're past that part, you will do better (and then you can laugh at the newbies).

To compare, with only pulleys, cold air, x-pipe, and flowmasters, I was in the 14.7 range with a good launch on a five speed car.

I haven't been back since all of my mods though. I absolutely hate cleaning the rubber off of the quarter panels!

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
joefelly3888 said:
today was also my first time at the track. Went to island dragway in jersey. First time at the track sucked. Dont know where to go and shit like that. so anyway, with the mods in my car i thought i would run ok, nothing to great or nothing bad. I lowered my tire pressure to about 16 psi and went up for my first time trial. I wanted to power brake it and launch at around 2k. Well i was wrong and my car kept on moving and i DQ my first run. Kinda sucked. Second run i didnt rev it up at all just took off. My reaction time was a .6 :-\, 60ft was 2.241 and i ran a 15.441 at 83.63 mph. But in this run i let off the gas way before i crossed the finish line, so i think with more experience and a proper launch i could hit 14s. I had the first time at the track butterflies and shit. Maybe taking off some weight like the big sub, amp, and maybe even the back seats would help my e/t go down.

try dropping the psi in the tires to like 27 or so. too much sag kills roll. 84 mph is about 8-10 mph lower than stock, you won't see 14's unless you have an ample boost in power, or drop a lot of dead weight. i don't know how much the sound system ways, but it sounds like a couple hundred lbs. my 14.7 @94 was while stock. 2.1 60 ft. and it weighed 3550 with me in the car.

joefelly3888

Reaction score
yeaaa after going to the track once i wanna go back again to get my time lower. it can def become addicting

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
60ft is where you are sucking ass :hammer: :hammer: get the stickys and practice your launches you'll do much better

97vertstang

Reaction score
MyBoxersSayJoe said:
joefelly3888 said:

try dropping the psi in the tires to like 27 or so. too much sag kills roll. 84 mph is about 8-10 mph lower than stock, you won't see 14's unless you have an ample boost in power, or drop a lot of dead weight. i don't know how much the sound system ways, but it sounds like a couple hundred lbs. my 14.7 @94 was while stock. 2.1 60 ft. and it weighed 3550 with me in the car.
u weight 3550 ??? i got the same car and i weight in at 3680.it was atruck scale would that be why or is my car just fat , or is it me :-\

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
i weigh like 125-130. i dropped the spare and had maybe 1/4 tank of gas. i weighed it at the track. they have a scale on your way back from your pass.

Nacho

Reaction score
15.4 here while it was bone stock with 2.73 gears as well. You should be in the 14s, especially with those gears. Get a meatier tire out back and leave the car in D, it seemed to help my car run better at the track.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
your 60' is definitely killing you, with better tires you'd probably at least see low 15s. 60' makes all the difference.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I've got a '95 GT with intake, TB, full exhaust (with cats) and 3.73s and I've run 14.45 @ 94 mph on 245/45/17 street tires with no weight reduction. Your 60' sucks pretty bad - you just need more practice, not more parts. You should be able to get a 2.0 60' which will lower your ET significantly.

Automatics are usually about a half-second slower in midly modified cars, but you should be able to get into the high 14s.

Paul.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
im running on some 245/60?/15 at 20psi and i dead hook witht them.

Schiffy

Reaction score
I've never been to the track before, but i have been street racing many, many, many times out at Rankin in Houston... I'm afraid of the track. LOL... i'm afraid i'll do bad... going at the drop of an arm is much easier than at the flash of a light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online