First time at the track today, come laugh at my expense..

LAFENATU

Reaction score
It' your first time, don't sweat it.

You'll get better. We all have been there.

LI98GT

Reaction score
jimgt95 said:
Wow!!! High 15s and slower??!! Bone stock your cars should be in the low 15's. The tires, extra stereo equipment, and automatics are the biggest problems. Driver skill also plays a big role. The more you practice, the better you will be. It's tough being a newbie at the track but once you're past that part, you will do better (and then you can laugh at the newbies).

To compare, with only pulleys, cold air, x-pipe, and flowmasters, I was in the 14.7 range with a good launch on a five speed car.

I haven't been back since all of my mods though. I absolutely hate cleaning the rubber off of the quarter panels!

Painters tape is your friend for keeping the rubber off the qps and really only need if using DRs+. First time I went was on street tires and hardly any rubber coming off, but DRs are much softer and glad I used the tape. Hey, we are all new at one point, so don't sweat being a noob. I improved soo much from my first time out to my second and looking forward to my third this spring. Don't worry about cutting a good light so much as it doesn't effect your 1/4 time, just experiment with different launch and shifting rpms. Taking mental notes or physical ones can be very hepful.

ryclef331

Reaction score
SCREW IT! Don't clean the rubber off! Thats the only spot on my car that I NEVER wash....I'm waiting for my ET Streets to get used off so I can REALLY finish'em off.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
I cant wait till the summer comes and i get my car back out to the track. by the next time im out there ill have my 4.10's out of the closet and in the car and most likely 100 dry shot 13's here I come.

BigSkySN95

Reaction score
My first trip to the track with my bone-stock '95 5-speed netted a 15.7 time which I was happy with because we're at 3700' of elevation so when you sea-level guys are quoting times I have to add 1 second to compare with what we run. My second trip with 65mm TB, CAI, and 14 degrees of timing netted me a 15.3 and now I'm hooked. Next trip in the spring will see the addition of underdrive pulleys, long-tubes, h-pipe, cat-back, Pro 5.0 shifter and hopefully 3.55 gears.

95GTStang

Reaction score
Yeah get some stickier tires. First time i took mine I had CAI, equal length shorties, O/R X with Flows, 4.10s and Short Throw.. with 275/ 40/17s and I ran between 14.1 & 14.6 .... Cant wait till summer to see what im running now

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
BadBlack95GT said:
I've never been to the track before, but i have been street racing many, many, many times out at Rankin in Houston... I'm afraid of the track. LOL... i'm afraid i'll do bad... going at the drop of an arm is much easier than at the flash of a light.

ive been to rankin a few times when i lived in houston. that place is nuts man there is some serious racers and serious cars there

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
i'm worried when i take my car to the track for the first time that i wont be happy with my times. i live 25 min from an 1/8th mile track, and will go there before i go to a 1/4 track. i just hope i run mid to low 8's, i'll be satisfied :santa_grin:

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score
i think everyones first time to the dragstrip is a very humbling experience to say the least.

cntchds

Reaction score
I can't wait for my first time out. The parents want me to put a cage in before they'll let me go though. Doesn't sound like a bad idea if you ask me, especially on their tab. :santa_afro:

rgs

Reaction score
my first time to the track ever i ran a 13.7 on my second run. thats with a mild h/c/i, with cats still on, and on crappy 225 tires

gopanoz

Reaction score
Houston raceway park, was able to get a 15.1 @92 on my third and last pass ever in the GT. At that time I had only had it for 3 weeks. Totally stock with no adjustments of any kind.

Something I have noticed over the years watching videos online and instructing people at tracks is their seating position. One hand on the wheel, other on their shifter, leaning back or to the side and lookin at the other lane to see what the other car is doing. %99.9 of the time the other driver is going straight! Its a bad habit and it takes away from the human performance perspective. My 2 cents

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score
cntchds said:
I can't wait for my first time out. The parents want me to put a cage in before they'll let me go though. Doesn't sound like a bad idea if you ask me, especially on their tab. :santa_afro:

my parents also paid for my roll bar (8 point comp eng. cage) that i have to install before i go to the strip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online