First time on DR's

ALITL8

Reaction score
okay, im getting Nitto 555R DR's 315/35/17. how do i heat them up at the track? what rpm should/can i leave at?

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with them but from what ive seen do a good standing burnout. enough to get a lil bit of smoke. u don't have to overdo it. I'm not sure what the rear end of our cars are capable of so id try and find some1 who has experince with that. Hope u enjoy the tires and good luck with them at the track. Keep us posted. :thumb:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
havent had the nittos (yet) but they are very similar to the BFG dr's that I have been using for the last 5 years. They do need to be heated to perform up to thier ability. Do a good strong burnout with them and they will hook like glue, I can lauch at around 3500 with the BGF's and have a DEAD hook, so I assume the nittos will do about the same.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
havent had the nittos (yet) but they are very similar to the BFG dr's that I have been using for the last 5 years. They do need to be heated to perform up to thier ability. Do a good strong burnout with them and they will hook like glue, I can lauch at around 3500 with the BGF's and have a DEAD hook, so I assume the nittos will do about the same.

do you just side step the clutch from 3500 or do you feather it? have you done any mods to your rearend other than the 4.30's?

G_94_T

Reaction score
normally dr's dont liked to be "shocked" (clutch dump),so try slipping out of the hole....and nittos need a little more heat in them than bfg's or m/t's

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
Snakebit said:

do you just side step the clutch from 3500 or do you feather it? have you done any mods to your rearend other than the 4.30's?

no all stock other than the gears ( and the IRS :( ) if I do a GOOD LONG burnout they will dead hook with a clutch dump, and that is with about 14 pounds of air in them too by the way. If you dont get a good LONG burnout with the BFG's they wont dead hook on a dump......they will spin slightly. The nittos are suppose to hook almost as well as them so.........

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
no all stock other than the gears ( and the IRS :( ) if I do a GOOD LONG burnout they will dead hook with a clutch dump, and that is with about 14 pounds of air in them too by the way. If you dont get a good LONG burnout with the BFG's they wont dead hook on a dump......they will spin slightly. The nittos are suppose to hook almost as well as them so.........

wow, and you havent destroyed the IRS?

thanks for the advice, i'll give it a shot. i might start out trying to launch at 2500 and see what happens. i'll get a couple of qualifying runs before they match us up so maybe i can have it figured out by the time the real racing starts.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
no havent tore up the IRS..........maybe thats because I have only been to the track with it once and did the 3500rpm clutch drops :D. I wouldnt do it any other time than at the track and I dont visit the drag strip very often with this car, I want to limit the abuse I give it.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
no havent tore up the IRS..........maybe thats because I have only been to the track with it once and did the 3500rpm clutch drops :D. I wouldnt do it any other time than at the track and I dont visit the drag strip very often with this car, I want to limit the abuse I give it.

ive been abusing ours since we got it "new"... they love it!!

jpajkos

Reaction score
Just give those Nitto's a good lickin and slam and that damn gas pedal and hope for the best.

Julian Moore

Reaction score
14psi, heat the crap out of them, they like a nice smokey burnout (see avatar). Drop the hammer at 4500rpm and hold on. You should ss 1.7-1.8's with them..goodluck.

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
hmmm, just got the tires today and was talking to my tire guy and he said run them no less than 20psi. he told me to run them full pressure (30 psi) :dunno:

anyway, so i got home and tested them out on the street. heated them up pretty good turned the car around and tried a 3K rpm launch... dead hook on asphalt bogged me down a little so it looks like i'll need a little more RPM :thumb:

im going to the track this weekend to test her out!!! if i can drop my 60' to a 1.8 i should be in the low 14's... hell, with the tune i might actually run a high 13/14 flat ;D

Julian Moore

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
hmmm, just got the tires today and was talking to my tire guy and he said run them no less than 20psi. he told me to run them full pressure (30 psi) :dunno:

I'll make you a deal, you keep the rpms at the same (whatever your comy with/I say at least 4k), do the first at 30, then the next at 20, then the final at 14..let me know which one hooked and launched better. Remember, at 14 psi, once you heat hem yup and run, check them at the end, they will be at 17-18psi. Test and tune man..good luck. I alro run 45psi in the front at the track, less rolling resitance.

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score
Julian Moore said:
ALITL8 said:

I'll make you a deal, you keep the rpms at the same (whatever your comy with/I say at least 4k), do the first at 30, then the next at 20, then the final at 14..let me know which one hooked and launched better. Remember, at 14 psi, once you heat hem yup and run, check them at the end, they will be at 17-18psi. Test and tune man..good luck. I alro run 45psi in the front at the track, less rolling resitance.

I agree. I would just start at 14psi tho. Once they heat up they will gain more pressure. I know i run my street tires at 18 so im sure 14 with DR will be fine. Make sure u let us know how things go this weekend. Good luck. :thumb:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've also heard the nitto's need more heat.
You should have pleanty of traction, see how your suspension feels, there's a lot of options there.

Good luck this weekend!

S

scarface

wow, you guys are getting a dead on hook? I might consider running DR all the time....

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
thanks guys, i'll let you know how it goes. i'll also have pics and video from the track :thumb:

scarface said:
wow, you guys are getting a dead on hook? I might consider running DR all the time....

i wont run anything else, now!! you have to replace them more often but they arent outragiously priced ($175 for the 315/35/17) :dunno:

OP
OP
A

ALITL8

Reaction score
hey, did you remove the projectors? i dont see them in your sig.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99