First Upgrade?

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know there arent many 3.8 guys out here but maybe the 4.6+ guys could help too...

What do you think should be some of the first upgrades on a V6 - maybe a CAI or 4.10's? or even a blower... or something as simple as underdrive pulleys?

Whatever you think? Lets Hear It!

//Jeremy

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I know on a 5.0/4.6 pulleys are allways a good choice, but gears are deffently the best bang for the buck, im not sure how a V6 would respond to 4.10s though, if ppl do it often then deff go with 4.10s to wake your car up nicely.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gears would be nice... I personally was thinkin something a little more conservitive like 3.73's

Unless i have been misinformed and those come stock :)

What about CAI's?

//JEremy

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they just look good dont they? 8)

My only concern with 4.10's would be gas milage and does it affect top end performance?

//Jeremy

Kiljosh

Reaction score
Well if your gonna go 4.10s with your car, a 94-98, you need a speedo gear to correct the mph gauge.

If you don't get the speedo gear your car will top out at around 70mph because the car thinks it's goin g faster than it really is.

I would go with 3.55 or 3.73 if your concerned about gas mileage on the highway.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol: I'm not fear'in them... just savin the money for the T-lock and I'll do em both at the same time ;D

//Jeremy

thorco3

Reaction score
if ur looking for more performance then gears, tlok, and an xcal2 would be a great start... i'd suggest doing all three at the same time.

oh and the rule of thumb for us sixers is pretty much... 3.73's for manual, and 4.10's for autoslowmatic
...i've got a couple buddy's with 4.10's in their sixers... unfortunatly I don't have them in yet...

or you could go a differnt route and upgrade your handling. A nice setup with some lowering springs, and new shocks/struts make a world of difference... not to mention the awesome look of a lowered sn95 :thumb:
i'm running h&r super sports and tokico gas s/s... and still need to install my 4bolt mm c/c plates

and yeah about the only thing a cai will do for you is a little bling in the engine compartment and a whistle when you accelerate... another thing i would suggest is a nice dual exhaust setup if you don't already have one

i guess i'll stop there, i could go on forever with some more suggestion/my future plans ::)

97six

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
swapping out the 6 for a v-8 :dunno:

ROFL thats a heck of a mod....and price a good $15-20,000 mayb (for all the other parts needed such as the computer, transmission, rearend, engine mounts, etc.)

but im goin for the exhuast as a good first mod

Spyder

Reaction score
I raced a guy when i had my 95 gt, he had a 99 v6 with a procharger on it and a couple supporting mods. I must say i was impressed with the sixer, he did very well. If your gonna keep the sixer, i would get some forced induction. just my $.02

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Spyder said:
I raced a guy when i had my 95 gt, he had a 99 v6 with a procharger on it and a couple supporting mods. I must say i was impressed with the sixer, he did very well. If your gonna keep the sixer, i would get some forced induction. just my $.02

best way to hang with the 8's

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Forced induction ftw. I raced a turbo six banger camaro when my car was stock and that slug hung with me pretty well, he would have eaten me if he had more boost. You can get a supercoupe blower and bolt it up. They tend to be pretty cheap too.

identity_Crisis

Reaction score
i say if you gunna do a procharger ingore the CAI and UD pullys since there no good for ya once the blower is on
get a good exaust maybe a set of long tube headers,some gears and a tlok,maybe porte the heads/upper and lower intakes,half shaft the Tb,
and put the blower on for the small time my car ran with the blower it was retarted the car was just unpredictable

and i suppert the procharger system its a clean and easy install

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
Kiljosh said:
Well if your gonna go 4.10s with your car, a 94-98, you need a speedo gear to correct the mph gauge.

If you don't get the speedo gear your car will top out at around 70mph because the car thinks it's goin g faster than it really is.

I would go with 3.55 or 3.73 if your concerned about gas mileage on the highway.
I'll clear a couple of things up for ya:

With 4.10s, you will need a Dallas Mustang Speedcal to correct you speedometer and odometer. You can't just swap out speedo gears because the highest anyone makes is a 23 tooth and that will only correct up to 3.55s. So with that said, even 3.73s will need a Speedcal to be correct.

Now for this topping out at 70 MPH: Only the 1997 model year will top out at 75 MPH because the computer is made to think that going over 3000 RPM in fourth gear is a little fast and will cut fuel to the motor. The only way to correct this is to play with the computer with a SCT X-Calibrator (I or II). SCT is really the best on the market as it is the only product on the market that is NOT hackware. It not being hackware allows it to access many more parameters than other similiar products.

I myself have 4.10s in my sixer and I get 17-18 MPG city and the best I have ever done on the highway is 23 MPG.

Kiljosh

Reaction score
I was under the imnpression that the Speedcal will only work for 99-04 mustangs because they had a sensor in the tranny, not a speedo gear.

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
Kiljosh said:
I was under the imnpression that the Speedcal will only work for 99-04 mustangs because they had a sensor in the tranny, not a speedo gear.
Well, I am living proof that it works on our tranny's also.

The DM SpeedCal is an adjustable electronic speedometer calibrator. It can correct for gear, tire, and transmission changes. It is an easy to install part that is very accurate and reliable. The unit fits 94-04 manual transmission cars and 94-98 automatic transmission cars. The Extended Range SpeedCal is for owners of 96-98 Mustangs who have installed 99-04 manual transmissions. The Tremec Conversion kit is for owners of 99-04 Mustangs who have installed a Tremec or any transmission designed for a mechanically driven speedometer gear.

Dallas Mustang’s SpeedCal is a highly flexible, easily adjustable electronic speedometer calibrator. With SpeedCal, you can maintain accurate speedometer readings with virtually any combination of rear tire size and gear ratio.

Prior to 1996, Ford Mustang speedometers could be recalibrated by switching a small plastic gear inside the transmission. In 1996, Ford switched to electronic speedometers with no adjustability. With SpeedCal by Dallas Mustang, 96-up Mustang drivers can accurately compensate for virtually any size rear tire and/or gear ratio with simple pin-switch adjustments on the small SpeedCal electronic module. And, with the SpeedCal unit conveniently located within the car cabin, recalibrating for frequent track tire/street tire changes is much simpler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99