Fix-Up... What would you do?

Stang67401

Reaction score
I have a 94 GT thats been sitting for 2 years, due to a head gasket. Ive been overseas with the military and the stang was not too much of a priority at the time. Now that im back in the states I want to get the stang running nice for the summer. Was wanting any advice/input on where to go from here. Since its been sitting for the length it has, im sure theres more things than just the head gasket that im gonna want to fix. so that or New motor? my price range is $4,000. What would you guys do??? Thanks guys for all the help

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I guess that would depend on your plans for the car, but my opinions as follows.

If it is just going to be a daily driver - replace both head gaskets and call it good.
Save the money for other mods/repairs as needed.

If you plan on making power, you should be able to purchase a nice longblock for your budget.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Depending on how much power you want you could pull the heads and swap on some gt40s and an explorer intake and see where that gets you. Then you would have some money left over for suspension, gears, exhaust, or any other problems you run into from it sitting.

Also thank you for your service!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
IMO replace the head gaskets. that's a solid and reliable engine. I have over 200,000 miles and wouldn't hesitate to drive cross country tomorrow.
Just get it running and reliable then let the mods come later.
Thanks for your service. What branch?

RichV

Reaction score
If the motor is good other than the HG, I'd just fix it.

If you want to mod, do a HCI with aluminum heads, replace the cooling system, maybe do some gears and clutch if stick. Then dump the rest into suspension/brakes/chassis. :)

DavidBoren

Reaction score
For $4,000 I would just get the engine freshened up and running right, and put the rest of the money into the suspension... ball joints, poly bushings, lowering springs, shocks/struts, sway bars, and upper/lower rear control arms with spherical rod ends on both sides. After that, I would box/shroud the factory fan to the factory radiator, and install a GT500 heat extraction vent in the hood. And pick up some cobra brakes/master cylinder if you have any change left over.

red94

Reaction score
4k really isnt a whole lot lol...... What is your overall plan with the car?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
Replace headgaskets, pick up some gt40 heads ($300), GT40 intake (125), do maintenance stuff like belts, hoses, plugs,wires ($150), then slap a blower on there (~1700 used), get a tune (450). Then have fun! You'd still have plenty left over for some new wheels and suspension.

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
First off I would like thank you for serving our Country "Welcome Home" And for your Stang issue..I think you could do alot with 4 grand to make it nice. But without a doubt I would start with the motor rebuild. No major mods to the motor yet! Any pictures?
Stang67401

cameron57

Reaction score
I would surface the heads put some 1011-2 on it. And some arp head bolts. And buy a on3 kit. If your doing the work your self you can do all that for less than 3k. But if you just wanted to get it going again. Your talking $400 tops.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online