FIXED: Lights Not Working (Tail/Brake/Parking/Signals/Flashers)

rew729

Reaction score
My lights are not working.
My dash lights, tail lights, brake lights (including high mount/3rd), parking lights, license plate lights, front and rear turn signals, and hazards are all not working
The only working lights are my headlights/high beams, and my map lights.

At one point after I noticed this problem it did work again for a short time but I cannot attribute it to anything.

I have read many posts on this site and others and following them I have replaced my headlight switch and harness.
I also did a visual inspection of all fuses under the dash and under the hood and everything looked good.
...but I still have the same problem.

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I just went through all of the fuses again with a tester and everything checked out, I still have the same problem though. The only thing I'm not sure about are the circuit breaker ones. Not sure how they work or how to test.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when you say "all the fuses", do you mean you checked your manual and checked the fuses that you thought were related to the problem? Or did you literally check EVERY fuse in the box? If you have not checked EVERY fuse go out and do that now, don't forget the fuses by the battery. After that we can worry about your switch or something deeper.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I checked literally every fuse both under the hood and under the dash. I learned my lesson about fuses a while back...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
So for the second time now, I walked away from the car and came back minutes later to find the flashers on. So weird. Also noticed that using the panic button makes the lights flash. I checked out some of the diagrams and I have a very strong feeling that the fault is in the multi function switch on the column. It seems like everything that I'm having trouble with runs through there. Gotta wait til monday to check the jy or order from ford.

MORDENENOUGH

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Check the harness that runs from the multi function switch to the rear lights under the dash. It runs over top of the pedal pivots. The brake pedal arm tip is sharp and over time either pinches it or even cuts into the harness causing a short. It is very difficult to see, so I would take the front seat out and use a good light. I could not see the damage until I unwrapped the harness there. I took a picture, if I can find it I will post it. Hope this might help.

kb1982

Reaction score
When i had the same issue, I bought a new switch only to find the connector to the multifunction switch was all melted and burnt. After putting individual terminals on each wire and plugging it in, everything worked as it should.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just out of curiosity disconnect the hrns to the keyless entry in the trunk. I have heard of one other time where there were some strange issues that stumped me and after replacing the keyless it went away.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. Check the harness that runs from the multi function switch to the rear lights under the dash. It runs over top of the pedal pivots. The brake pedal arm tip is sharp and over time either pinches it or even cuts into the harness causing a short. It is very difficult to see, so I would take the front seat out and use a good light. I could not see the damage until I unwrapped the harness there. I took a picture, if I can find it I will post it. Hope this might help.

I have heard about the pedal/wire issue. I looked at that the other day and the wrap around the wires seemed to have been worn but the wires themselves looked good.

When i had the same issue, I bought a new switch only to find the connector to the multifunction switch was all melted and burnt. After putting individual terminals on each wire and plugging it in, everything worked as it should.

Where was the connector that was melted/burnt? My headlight switch harness was a little burnt but nowhere near the extent i have seen on this site. The connector that I pulled out of the back of the multifunction switch in the column looked good. Is that the one you are talking about or somewhere else?

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
just out of curiosity disconnect the hrns to the keyless entry in the trunk. I have heard of one other time where there were some strange issues that stumped me and after replacing the keyless it went away.

I ordered the multifunction switch yesterday from my local ford dealer. It was supposed to be in today but "there was a computer glitch and nobody got their parts today". To make me happy they are delivering it to me tomorrow. I will try disconnecting that KEM in the trunk before i install the new multifunction. but I'll probably end up keeping the new multifunction anyway since most of the words/symbols are worn off.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions everyone! Keep em coming! I'll update tomorrow afternoon.

kb1982

Reaction score
The connector Im talking about is the switch that controls the headlights, panel lights and the interior light. I bought the switch before i pulled it apart, to find out it was the connector that plugs into it that was burnt and melted.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
the hrns is known to melt.

The connector Im talking about is the switch that controls the headlights, panel lights and the interior light. I bought the switch before i pulled it apart, to find out it was the connector that plugs into it that was burnt and melted.

The headlight switch and harness were the first things I did but to no avail. I threw the multi funtion in when I got home today and it worked right away. And then 2 hrs later when I was buttoning everything up it wasn't again.ARRGGHH!
I forgot to test the KEM today but I'm actually pretty sure the problem is in the wires above the pedals. Although everything looks good, I unwrapped the wires and the lights have been working for several hours now.
Gonna try to wake up early tomorrow and put the car back together before work. It probably won't happen because I can barely wake up for work in the morning but I'm hopeful...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
another thing to check since you mentioned the hazards were on, is the hazards. dust is known to collect around the space between the switch and the bezel and then when you push the switch it pushes the dust into the switch housing. One time after I used it the turn signals would not do anything afterwards so I simply cycled(pushed on/off) the hazard switch 6-8 times and it has worked since.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
I actually tried that early last week after reading it in another one of your posts. The multi-function switch has been replaced now though so that variable has been removed.

OP
OP
rew729

rew729

Reaction score
FIXED:

Brought the car to Ford...

They discovered a loose wire in the harness in the left kick panel.
I think they said it was gray, I'll be taking a look myself soon and will post back if I have any more helpful information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online