Fixed my stiff clutch!!

Mustanger

Reaction score
Since I picked up the son's 94GT the clutch has been stiff and extremely hard to use. It had the Steeda adjustable cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster set up. This thing was miserable to drive in stop & go traffic.

So after reading a bunch I installed the Maximim Motorsports Ford OEM Universal cable and firewall adjuster. Wow, what a difference! It is light & easy, a real joy to use now! The engagement is back down low closer to the floor & the tranny is easier to get into gear. What a difference, so I want to emphasize don't use aftemarket clutch cables of any kind! Trust MM's tech articles the Ford OEM cables are far superior to aftermarket ones!

The downside maybe??? The wife can drive it now! LOL...joking, I don't mind...she used to burn rubber in a VW van!!!

SonicStang

Reaction score
Oh and I was wondering why my clutch is so extremely stiff. I have the steeda stuff... :-/

Nacho

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man. I need to get that cable then cause my Steeda cable sucks. Do you know if can use the OEM cable they sell with the steeda quadrant? I bought the UPR firewall adjuster which I've been told is as good as the MM.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
I asked the same question about using the Steeda firewall adjuster & MM said most likely not...so I bought the MM unit. It was only $36 bucks more & after comparing the two I totally recommend changing to the MM adjuster. The fit is perfect on the cable and it won't travel out of adjustment due to it's design like others do. There is a rubber bushing inside that provides friction to hold the adjustment...I even had to put a bit of hitemp lube on it.

Oh yeah it worked perfect with the Steeda Quadrant though...(double hook)

Nacho

Reaction score
Actually man, I did some calling and reading right now and the adjuster will work, so I'm keeping that one cause I just bought it a week ago. O0 It's also good to know that the Steeda quadrant will work but after reading Steeda's description about it, I know that its the problem for my stiff clutch.

Steeda Red Quick Release Quadrant "The increased pedal ratio increases pedal effort slightly, but the clutch releases quicker so the shift is over quicker and you wont notice the increased effort."

MM Aluminum Quadrant "A stock quadrant radius is used on the MM Clutch Quadrant. A larger radius is not necessary and will cause three problems. It increases pedal effort, causes the clutch cable to rub on the cable housing at the firewall, prematurely wearing it out, and it overstrokes the pressure plate. A smaller radius won't allow the clutch to fully disengage."

That is my problem exactly, I can't be cruising cause my damn clutches engages waaayy to quickly. I have to acclerate quicker in order to avoid stalling and when I accelearte to keep it from stalling, it sometimes starts spinning the wheels. The clutch engagement 'window' is too narrow for comfortable street driving, even though it works great for the track.

Goliath5.0

Reaction score
I concur! I've had a many of aftermarket adjustable cables fray and break on me and most IMHO are crap.

You can't beat an OEM clutch cable + firewall adjuster! :naughty: :boink: :naughty: :D

SonicStang

Reaction score
So did you get the MM cable or the Ford cable? I see two there on their site.
Will it work with the steeda quadrant and the steeda f/w adjuster?

purplehaze

Reaction score
IVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE CABLE AND QUADRANT UPGRADE, CAN YOU GIVE ME THE LINK SO I MAY TAKE A LOOK AT IT!THANKS.

wytstang

Reaction score
For the Cable the Stock Ford peice is the best hands down, for Quadrant I have the UPR triple hook and it's O.K I really wish I spent a little more and went with the Fiore FWA and quadrant.

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
SonicStang said:
So did you get the MM cable or the Ford cable? I see two there on their site.
Will it work with the steeda quadrant and the steeda f/w adjuster?

All MaximumMotorsorts will sell anymore is the Ford OEM cable...so wether it says MM cable or Ford they are the same quality. MM just modifys the end to fit the adjuster so you don't have to.

I was told to use the MM adjuster not the Steeda one for the best results might be different diameters inside. The Steeda quadrant works fine, no need to change if you already have it like I did.

anyway just Google Maximummotorsports.com & search for the pics & read the tech articles!!

Nacho

Reaction score
The only reason I'll be getting the MM quadrant is because my steeda is the quick release and it's a lil weird for street driving. But I'll see, I'll order the cable first to see if I can control the quick release a lil better and if I can, I'll just leave my quadrant.

scootin95gts

Reaction score
Yah i got the bbk cable and quadrant and its freakin stiff as heck! thought it was the new clutch breakin in but its the same 4mo later.Live in a small city and went cruisin today to find some stangs and i think i got a workout on my left leg

ninetyfivegtstang

Reaction score
My friends say i have a stiff clutch but i dont really know it dont feels stiff to me but they say that its almost stiff as a rock but i drive an eightteen wheeler and they think my car is stiff they havent tried my truck yet

Nacho

Reaction score
^^ If someone else is telling you then they're probably right. We just don't realize it cause we get used to it. Same thing happened to me until I jumped into a few buddy's mustangs and a corevette, then I saw the light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Staff online

Members online