Fixed some issues, new dyno numbers! Definitely block splitting territory.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Well my tuner was having an 'impromptu dyno day' today due to a few people missing last saturday.. last week my car put down 495 rwhp, and since it was so close to 500, I figured I would go today (15 degrees cooler air temp), and put some ice packs on the intake and blower to cool it down enough to get the extra 5 hp I needed to hit 500. Well I got more than the 5 hp to say the least..

Melted through two ice packs pretty quick.. Then moved onto a 'substitute' method:

All ready for pulls..

This time I decided to sit in the passenger seat and take a video of the boost gauge. Well, I noticed around 6-7 psi where the methanol is supposed to start spraying, the indicator light wasn't coming on. The car put down 501 rwhp and 446 ft lbs.. I achieved my goal, but was worried about the lack-of-methanol. Long story short I found a loose spade connection, which I corrected and BAM, methanol injection works again..
Close up boost gauge video just cuz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcQGAoLj3A4

Results:

Final numbers of the day: 536 rwhp and 495 ft lbs.. Me, my tuner, and damn near everyone else in the shop were surprised to say the least! If I wasn't in 'block splitting territory' before, I sure as f*ck am now! I'm excited either way, and hopefully I can get a decent 1/4 mile pass in before the block decides to 'retire'.. ha.
Now if only I could get the power to the ground at the track. I will find out in two weeks.

Questions/Comments welcome!

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention, the tach signal for the dyno computer wasn't cooperating as well as he would have liked, so that's why the dyno chart seems to 'dip' down in 2-3 spots..

the.greg

Reaction score
Congrats, scary that the meth wasn't working at first. Those are great numbers. Love the ice pop cooling mod!

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
great numbers and love the color of your car, that must be quite a handful with 4.10 gears.

Thanks. Yes it will light the tires up in third at a 40 roll.. Had I not bought my previous car with the 4.10s in it (then swap to this car), I would have gone with 3.73s instead.. Way down the road I will eventually have a built motor and single turbo, so at that point I will be swapping to 3.55 more than likely.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
All that with a stock bottom end?! Amazing, nothing beats a 5.0.

Yeah, I'm certainly shocked too. With a rough estimate of 12% drivetrain loss, that's 600 hp at the crank.. I'm pretty sure I am one small detonation away from splitting the block, but luckily my tuner has a pretty safe tune in it (only 8 degrees total advance), so I'll just have to see how much longer it lasts. ha

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Congrats, scary that the meth wasn't working at first. Those are great numbers. Love the ice pop cooling mod!

Yes I was quite worried too. I messed with the methanol wiring tonight and secured a few connections, but I have yet to take it out and see if it works every time. While it was very sketchy, it was pretty interesting to see the 35 hp/40 ft lbs difference that methanol injection made.. (mostly due to lower IAT, and therefore more timing I would imagine).

the.greg

Reaction score
Yes I was quite worried too. I messed with the methanol wiring tonight and secured a few connections, but I have yet to take it out and see if it works every time. While it was very sketchy, it was pretty interesting to see the 35 hp/40 ft lbs difference that methanol injection made.. (mostly due to lower IAT, and therefore more timing I would imagine).
That is quite interesting. I had a live-iat display, setup in my old car and I could feel the power difference when it was heatsoaked and pulling timing verses when it was fresh and the meth was going. The timing changes are pretty significant!

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
That is quite interesting. I had a live-iat display, setup in my old car and I could feel the power difference when it was heatsoaked and pulling timing verses when it was fresh and the meth was going. The timing changes are pretty significant!

Yes they are. My tuner was trying to talk me into getting a dual-IAT gauge setup that has both the readings on one gauge so we could keep an eye on pre and post blower temps.. but I think I will just stick to using meth, trust my safe tune, and run it until it gives up.. Then go built motor.

Rallim

Reaction score
I like those numbers! Wish I had the spare moneys to do a build like this instead of doing a turbo or something, way cooler to me.

RichV

Reaction score
Definitely great #s! Start saving, you were in block splitting territory 100 HP ago. :D

Did you put any girdles in it to at least help?

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Definitely great #s! Start saving, you were in block splitting territory 100 HP ago. :D

Did you put any girdles in it to at least help?

Yeah.. I started getting nervous the first dyno pull at 478 rwhp, let alone almost 60 hp more!
No, no girdles in it. I thought about it when I was putting the motor together, but just decided to run it without it and see what happens...
ARP head studs and other various hardware holding pieces to the block are my only help in maintaining the 'structure' to the engine, but still not going to help the rods from going whichever way they please. ha. Fingers crossed it doesn't let go in a gigantic explosion and wipe out the cam bearings and damage valves, but I'll try and mentally prepare myself for that possibility.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I love seeing guys get good gains from meth. I remember when I first used to run it people had NO clue how it actually worked and even some tuners around me wouldn't touch the car. Meth, if setup the correct way, has really come a long way. Congrats on the successful build.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
I love seeing guys get good gains from meth. I remember when I first used to run it people had NO clue how it actually worked and even some tuners around me wouldn't touch the car. Meth, if setup the correct way, has really come a long way. Congrats on the successful build.

Yeah, seeing those back-to-back runs with and without it, definitely eliminated any doubts I ever had about it.
Funny how times have changed, my tuner was extremely hesitant to tune my car without meth since it's non-intercooled. He is a big supporter of meth injection, which is good for me since it keeps my engine safer, and produces more power.. win-win

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
damn which tf heads are you running? A different cam and intake then what I am putting together but similar and I didn't think it could get that high.

OP
OP

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
damn which tf heads are you running? A different cam and intake then what I am putting together but similar and I didn't think it could get that high.

Just the 'box stock' twisted wedges, the same that come in their top end kit.
i was surprised with the numbers as well. Anderson motorsports had a car on their website (with a damn near identical setup as mine) advertising their B31 cam that made 511rwhp, so I figured that was the high end.. The only differences were they did not have the 8-rib conversion for the blower, and they did not list meth injection..
my 30 rwhp gain should be proof enough for you to run meth injection on your car when you get your setup done! Ha

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it wasn't even a question that when I went supercharged that there was going to be a meth kit. Already got it all set up to go now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online