Fixing entire parking brake assembly

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

The car is a 98 GT 5 spd. Recently the parking brake cable that connects to the parking brake handle snapped (the single cable that goes to the handle - NOT either of the rear cables that go to the rear calipers and connect to the single cable underneath the car).

Anyway, I pulled out the main cable and tried to replace with a new piece. I tried it connecting the two cables coming from the calipers to the main cable. But try as I might, I couldnt get both cables hooked on to the main cable while the main cable was hooked into the parking brake assembly. To accomplish one, I had to undo the other. So I gave up and decided to tackle it another day. In the meantime I ordered pair of rear cables just since Im going to be down there, might as well get everything done in one shot.

Is there a trick to doing this that I am missing? I know the spring on the parking brake assembly needs to be 'repacked' but Im not understanding exactly how this is supposed to be accomplished. Anyway, here's some photos of where Im at, I'll have a chance to work on the car on Tuesday. Any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_0094.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0093.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0097.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0096.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0095.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reaction score
[MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION]

i had a entire brake line get fvcked up when i did my pbr swap, so i can understand the frustration. scott should be able to help or possibly nighttrain since hes also looking at the thread right now

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just finished up my brake project with replacing the parking brake cables but I have no idea what to say here.

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
I just finished up my brake project with replacing the parking brake cables but I have no idea what to say here.

Basically, I'm asking if the circular spring in the handle assembly is correctly compressed/wound/positioned? People say when it unravels, it needs to be re-wound.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced my parking cables a couple years ago and had to fight with this as well. I remember it being really hard but I was able to get both hooked in. I do recall reading in the FSM that there is a "procedure" to this.

When I get home tonight from work, I'll look through the manual and post up what I find. Hopefully the steps will help get this resolved.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Its much easier to change your cables when you have them "engaged". Making the cables from each wheel to the main longer. ......sorry i must of clicked on this before i fell asleep lol. You need a service manual.

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
Its much easier to change your cables when you have them "engaged". Making the cables from each wheel to the main longer. ......sorry i must of clicked on this before i fell asleep lol. You need a service manual.

Is funny how hard it is to find an SN95 factory service manual online. I couldnt do it. I ended up buying a hardcopy OEM service manual on eBay for $45. I didnt buy it just for this, but for reference in general.

The S197 service manual on the otherhand is everywhere to be downloaded for free. In general, I really like the way Ford and Honda write their manuals.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh hell yes I paid a good penny for the orange ford OEM manual set I think it has 3-4 books. My mustang bible

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Is funny how hard it is to find an SN95 factory service manual online. I couldnt do it. I ended up buying a hardcopy OEM service manual on eBay for $45. I didnt buy it just for this, but for reference in general.

The S197 service manual on the otherhand is everywhere to be downloaded for free. In general, I really like the way Ford and Honda write their manuals.

$45 is cheap to have something to fall back to and keep you in line lol. I went to get a manual for my wifes 07 suburban when we had it. Thise things are like $350! I said awe hell no, ill figure it out.

07GtS197

Reaction score
My old 00 gt had that main cable snap when I went to pull the handle one day, damn new england cars lol. And that piece unraveled on my too. Its not easy but I got my buddy to get under the car and pull on the cable while I lined the top piece back up. Sorry I dont remember much but it was like there was some sort of pin but I do remember him having to yank on the cable so I could line something up. I remember not having any info so it should be pretty self explanitory. Get another person and youll be good to go.

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
OK, so I think I got it. Will know once I get everything fully back together. Have some half assed pictures but the actual way to get it done is pretty simple, it just took some trial and error for me to get right. Very surprised there is so little on DIY parking brake assembly for this on the internet.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
If anyone needs a PDF file, I have the 1996 Ford OEM Manual on my laptop. Just PM me and I will send it to you.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
My old 00 gt had that main cable snap when I went to pull the handle one day, damn new england cars lol. And that piece unraveled on my too. Its not easy but I got my buddy to get under the car and pull on the cable while I lined the top piece back up. Sorry I dont remember much but it was like there was some sort of pin but I do remember him having to yank on the cable so I could line something up. I remember not having any info so it should be pretty self explanitory. Get another person and youll be good to go.

Salts a killer!

OP
OP
SOHC_Foodblister
Reaction score
Alright,

So the best way to approach this is to use a small pair of needle nose visegrips. Once the little nub from the main cable is looped through the wheel on the handle assembly, you feed the main cable and metal 'holder' through the floorboard down to underneath the car. After this is accomplished, use the vise grips to rotate the wheel counter clockwise (toward the car) so the teeth on the gear on the hand brake assembly come forward, thus retracting the spring. Once the last few gears are rotated forward, you can put your metal keeper that secures the handbrake gear back on and thus 'lock' the teeth in place (which creates slack for yourself underneath the car to connect the parking brake cables).

IMG_0126.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Alright,

So the best way to approach this is to use a small pair of needle nose visegrips. Once the little nub from the main cable is looped through the wheel on the handle assembly, you feed the main cable and metal 'holder' through the floorboard down to underneath the car. After this is accomplished, use the vise grips to rotate the wheel counter clockwise (toward the car) so the teeth on the gear on the hand brake assembly come forward, thus retracting the spring. Once the last few gears are rotated forward, you can put your metal keeper that secures the handbrake gear back on and thus 'lock' the teeth in place (which creates slack for yourself underneath the car to connect the parking brake cables).

IMG_0126.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online