Flat black 1998 Build(3.8L to 4.6L)

Reaction score
This is my first car that I've bought and after owning it for about a year its time for a change
It started as a multi colored red v6 ( I know it would've been easier to buy a GT but i paid 1000 dollars for this v6 and it looked good 10 feet away.)(In NY the prices for mustangs are ridiculous, people are trying to sell v6s for 4-5 grand and gt's for 7k+)
IMG_7245_zps61853c0e.jpg

I painted the car with john deere blitz black. (still needs clips for the front parts of the ground effects on both sides CANT find them separate)
Have a tr3650 from an 02 gt(just ordered a speed cal and trans mount to make it work)

The motor is a SOHC out of a 09 crown vic
Swapped a upper and throttle body from a 98

Probably going to keep the engine stock for a year or two until my funds are refurbished and hopefully than hopefully turbo(?)
Also have a set of fr500's to go on, need tires though(will worry about that next spring since winter is coming).

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread being all out of order and hectic its how my 18 year old brain functions
IMG_0330_zps4bfc1188.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]only picture i can find right now of my car when it was red, this is right before paint

The original plan for the car was to swap in a 5 speed and interior from a 2000 v6 I bought for $700 dollars (it had a dead cylinder)
IMG_0356_zpsdd663b85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The exterior and interior were in real good condition

IMG_0381_zpsbf62b2a7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After doing some investigation I found out that the cause of the dead cylinder was a broken exhaust valve in cylinder 2.
IMG_0359_zpsc2244ce4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I end ended up replacing just the one valve(without taking the head off(saving money on gaskets).
After fixing the engine, my plans went a different way

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I knew eventually I was going to put a V8 in the car, and I decided that I much rather a black interior so there was no point in swapping this nice interior and ruining it when i can leave it in the convert. and get more money than with my ratty interior. I still planned on swapping the 5 speed though but my mom talked me out of it. :undecided:
I sold the convert for about 4 times what I paid for it. And with in a week a bought the Tr3650.
Then I bought the motor

IMG_0470_zps92a3a6b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

this is where I am at now

I still need:
ECU
CCRM
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
FLYWHEEL
TRANS TO ENGINE BOLTS
COOLANT HOSES
and some more little things

If need someone who is knowledgeable on the 98 gt's to confirm some info about the fuel system/ECU(the point i am stuck at right now)

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Awesome deals you got, looking forward to seeing the progress. I have a brand new 8 bolt ford racing flywheel in my garage (needed a 6 and bought this by mistake). If this will work on your motor/trans pm me if you want a good price on this

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Awesome deals you got, looking forward to seeing the progress. I have a brand new 8 bolt ford racing flywheel in my garage (needed a 6 and bought this by mistake). If this will work on your motor/trans pm me if you want a good price on this
Unfortunately I need a 6 bolt as well

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The vic fuel rail hook ups are on the opposite side, the throttle body is opposite, even the oil filter/water return is different (but useable). All honesty, your better to convert to carburetor just for simplicity sake. So much fail come along with 20yr old wiring harnesses plus being swapped into a non v8 car were youll need to scavenge more items to make it work. Dont get me wrong here, im not downing your project ideas, but for simple sake only, I suggest carb'ing it. Carb'ing will set you back the same cash amount as fuel injection long run overall and your carb set up will be all new components.

Lets say $1500 all said and running with fuel injection and later down the road you want cams, you will definitely need a dyno tune,... $500. Then youll want to convert to 5spd,....that's the cost of either another tune or sourcing a 5spd computer and still have to get it tuned. $1500 is high quote, but I suggest waying your options down on paper. Research the cost of fuel injected used parts needed compared to brand new parts carbureted. Then figure in mods cost later on.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
The vic fuel rail hook ups are on the opposite side, the throttle body is opposite, even the oil filter/water return is different (but useable). All honesty, your better to convert to carburetor just for simplicity sake. So much fail come along with 20yr old wiring harnesses plus being swapped into a non v8 car were youll need to scavenge more items to make it work. Dont get me wrong here, im not downing your project ideas, but for simple sake only, I suggest carb'ing it. Carb'ing will set you back the same cash amount as fuel injection long run overall and your carb set up will be all new components.

Lets say $1500 all said and running with fuel injection and later down the road you want cams, you will definitely need a dyno tune,... $500. Then youll want to convert to 5spd,....that's the cost of either another tune or sourcing a 5spd computer and still have to get it tuned. $1500 is high quote, but I suggest waying your options down on paper. Research the cost of fuel injected used parts needed compared to brand new parts carbureted. Then figure in mods cost later on.
I have GT upper plenum and plan on getting a 96/97 fuel rail(the fuel rail hookups aren't on the wrong side either, however it is return less style)
I have a TR3650
and I would fail inspection if swapped to carb

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Dag on Ny strick emissions BS. Move down south? :)

So your plan is to collect all the necessary items needed to swap snd have the car running in,...lets say a week? This car is your everyday driver? Can you find a pos beater?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Dag on Ny strick emissions BS. Move down south? :)

So your plan is to collect all the necessary items needed to swap snd have the car running in,...lets say a week? This car is your everyday driver? Can you find a pos beater?
Yeah I'm collecting parts first, hoping that I won't forget a lot of things
My parents have an extra car I can borrow, but I want the engine bay painted, wires tucked(semi), engine in and running in at most 2 weeks.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Is this car something you will always keep? If so, why not find a beater car? And since its a Ny car, you may want to fully inspect the undercarriage for rot. Another Ny member here is faced with rot and letting the car go. So before you advance, be sure its solid. Rotting out frames is not a normal for me in Ky, but Ny salty winters im sure can eat away anything metal.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Is this car something you will always keep? If so, why not find a beater car? And since its a Ny car, you may want to fully inspect the undercarriage for rot. Another Ny member here is faced with rot and letting the car go. So before you advance, be sure its solid. Rotting out frames is not a normal for me in Ky, but Ny salty winters im sure can eat away anything metal.
The plan is to always have this car, I plan on getting a new daily after or finding a Mustang with a blown engine and throwing my v6 in it.

The car it self is solid though surprisingly no rust

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Didn't get much done today
Painted one valve cover before work (not sure i like it but oh well)
IMG_0513_zpscca9f410.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Also received transmission cross member and coolant reservoir
Really need to clean the cool an reservoir up but not sure how I'm going to go about it. In other applications I've used brake fluid+all purpose cleaner+rice(as an abrasive) and its worked real well but I think if i use rice ill never get it out because the reservoirs are chambered.
IMG_0515_zps7f533fdc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting choice of paint and wheels........

....................looks down at my sig and is in awe.........lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Interesting choice of paint and wheels........

....................looks down at my sig and is in awe.........lol

Lol your car is definitely cooler, i love side exhausts
Im actually worried my wheels won't go, with the chrome lip and it being a shinny black not flat.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I went with black chrome. Wanted something to stand out but not really bright.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people are tryin to hop on the satin or flat train these days. You just have to find a way to make yours stand out in the crowd. Let's be honest, mustangs are everywhere so it's already hard to make it different.

Good luck with the build, I'll follow to see how it comes!!!! Lol

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
A lot of people are tryin to hop on the satin or flat train these days. You just have to find a way to make yours stand out in the crowd. Let's be honest, mustangs are everywhere so it's already hard to make it different.

Thats why I went with flat black, Im sick of seeing 1000 red mustangs driving around everyday.
And yeah with plastidip and wraps I'm starting to see a lot more matte/flat/satin cars unfortunately

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
That's why I went with black chrome. Wanted something to stand out but not really bright.

I think i was going to originally go with black chrome saleens, i think i didn't get them because I wanted 17's. and i really want that 10.5" rim in the rear lol lotta meat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online