Flat black 1998 Build(3.8L to 4.6L)

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Off the top f my head that parts I hve left to buy are.
Flywheel
Ecu/ccrm
98 wiring harness
Coolant hoses

Does anyone know f I can get away with using my v6 fuel pump?

gnatsum95-3.8

Reaction score
im almost positive the 94-98 chassis all came with walbro 190 fuel pumps. the price of 255's i would just swap it out, if you have any other questions about the swap don't hesitate to contact me.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Avoid using the fuel system from a 98.

I was told because it's a weird year I would have to because of the ecu/pump. I was told its a two stage pump and has a return less style pump with a return style hat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnatsum95-3.8

Reaction score
i can tell you first hand you can mix match the body harnesses, ecu, and fuel pump, im running a 95 chassis harness, 97 brain harness 97 dash harness 97 headlight harness 98 engine harness 98 ccrm 98 auto ecu with a man (a tune will take care of the slight shutter you will experience) in a aeromotive stealth return pump

i should mention a couple wires had to be moved..i believe this being the swap from 94 95 to 96 + .. it wasnt anything motor related though. driving lights and turn signal did not function after the swap but all data was able to tell me were to look

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
i can tell you first hand you can mix match the body harnesses, ecu, and fuel pump, im running a 95 chassis harness, 97 brain harness 97 dash harness 97 headlight harness 98 engine harness 98 ccrm 98 auto ecu with a man (a tune will take care of the slight shutter you will experience) in a aeromotive stealth return pump

i should mention a couple wires had to be moved..i believe this being the swap from 94 95 to 96 + .. it wasnt anything motor related though. driving lights and turn signal did not function after the swap but all data was able to tell me were to look
Im going to be running a 98 auto ecu with a manual, 98 ccrm, a 98 engine harness(didn't find one yet) what is the brain harness? is it the harness that connects the ECU to engine harness?

gnatsum95-3.8

Reaction score
Im going to be running a 98 auto ecu with a manual, 98 ccrm, a 98 engine harness(didn't find one yet) what is the brain harness? is it the harness that connects the ECU to engine harness?

correct. it has 4 or 5 plugs on the passenger foot well passes threw the firewall runs on the inside of the fender well to the ccrm, also going into the engine bay for your tranny harness and engine harness.

also don't know if you considered how to bypass the pats system, i had mine shut off thew the tuner.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
also don't know if you considered how to bypass the pats system, i had mine shut off thew the tuner.
That was my next predicament, I am buying an ECU, Cluster and CCRM all from the same car(the car has PATs). The car isn't going to start if I don't turn PATs off right? the PATS key I'm currently using one work. Id either have to get one program or turn it off?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I was told because it's a weird year I would have to because of the ecu/pump. I was told its a two stage pump and has a return less style pump with a return style hat

If you use it. Avoid using the 98 fuel tank. Use a 97 and down tank or a 99+ depending on which way you choose you have different options..

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Now I'm just looking for harness, flywheel and coolant hoses.
I have ECU, Cluster, CCRM and a fuel rail being ships to me
I also found the clips to put my front rocker panel moldings back on finally:)

miss.mod.50

Reaction score
I've posted this up a couple places already, but just in case you missed it there is more than just hard part differences in the 98 fuel system. The 98 has a different chassis wiring harness and PCM pinout vs the 96/97. I know I probably sound like a broken record about this to some, but just trying to save people the headache I went through when trying to play mix n match.

96/97 vs 98 chassis harness connectors to the fuel system harness in the trunk.
ResizedImage_1393424163388_zps78fc1eea.jpg

ResizedImage_1393424163799_zpsd9a326e5.jpg

I''m not sure if the 2v is the same, I'd assume so since it's the chassis harness. If so, the 96/97 vs 98 is more than just moving a few pins around.
98PCM_zpsdaa884d7.jpg

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I've posted this up a couple places already, but just in case you missed it there is more than just hard part differences in the 98 fuel system. The 98 has a different chassis wiring harness and PCM pinout vs the 96/97. I know I probably sound like a broken record about this to some, but just trying to save people the headache I went through when trying to play mix n match.

96/97 vs 98 chassis harness connectors to the fuel system harness in the trunk.
ResizedImage_1393424163388_zps78fc1eea.jpg

ResizedImage_1393424163799_zpsd9a326e5.jpg

I''m not sure if the 2v is the same, I'd assume so since it's the chassis harness. If so, the 96/97 vs 98 is more than just moving a few pins around.
98PCM_zpsdaa884d7.jpg
so you're saying use all the 98 harnesses/computers? I should be able to use my V6 chassis harness, no?

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
The salvage yards around here are useless can't find a wii g harness. Also need to be a gasket set now :/ and still looking for a fly wheel

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
I had to take apart the whole eminent because it got filled with water. The only damage is some rust(?) spots on drivers side camshaft. I'll post pictures of the damage after work today

I was also looking at the hydro boost set up and realized I have no idea what lines go to what. Does any one have diagrams of these or whatever?

gnatsum95-3.8

Reaction score
PowerSteeringLineMap_zpsbcd2d522.jpg

this is the pic i used when i installed my hydroboost setup. if you take your time and mock everything up installing the lines was the easy part. be prepared to open up the hole in the firewall to the cabin for this. (it could have been a 94 95 thing but i had to open the hole up about two inches so it would bolt in

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
PowerSteeringLineMap_zpsbcd2d522.jpg

this is the pic i used when i installed my hydroboost setup. if you take your time and mock everything up installing the lines was the easy part. be prepared to open up the hole in the firewall to the cabin for this. (it could have been a 94 95 thing but i had to open the hole up about two inches so it would bolt in

That diagram is awesome. Thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online