Flip quad shocks

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg So I’m going to flip the quad stocks to make as much room as possible for the 315’s. But when taking a look at the rear suspension (all new+ Eibach) I’m thinking I may as well replace the 25-year old quad shocks! Duh!!
Any suggestions? Stock replacement? Or is there a certain brand that has performed better, given my setup?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 10

Flade

Reaction score
I have been told that if you replace the control arms and springs with higher quality aftermarket pieces you no longer need the quads. What size rims are you running? I have 10.5 x 17s that I am planning on running with 315s. I went with Koni shocks. STR T. Shocks all around with Steeda lower springs.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have been told that if you replace the control arms and springs with higher quality aftermarket pieces you no longer need the quads. What size rims are you running? I have 10.5 x 17s that I am planning on running with 315s. I went with Koni shocks. STR T. Shocks all around with Steeda lower springs.
Hello Flade, and welcome!
Same here on the rear tires/wheels set up: 17x10.5 with 315/35’s. Nitto NT555 G2’s.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Some people with modified rear suspensions remove the quad shocks and have no problems, others have wheel hop and end up putting them back on. There are too many variables to say "just ditch them."

Gabriel 14039 is the correct replacement.

joemomma

Reaction score
I just flipped mine, didn't replace them when I installed new shocks/struts/springs. I'm sure they could use it. I could probably get away with ditching them honestly at near-stock power levels with 315s, it'll barely turn them over.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How do you like the Nitto’s? Living in FL, wet traction is critical.
Not much help here, sorry. I live in Southern California and even though we DO get rain (contrary to most people’s beliefs about Californians!), I haven’t had the Nitto’s out in the rain as yet. Sorry. Did you check their wet/dry rating?

joemomma

Reaction score
Not much help here, sorry. I live in Southern California and even though we DO get rain (contrary to most people’s beliefs about Californians!), I haven’t had the Nitto’s out in the rain as yet. Sorry. Did you check their wet/dry rating?

Same, I tend to not get it out in the wet. I've been caught on damp roads once, but didn't push it at all so I can't really comment on wet traction.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Top pic: 315 mounted on 10.5” FR500 wheel
Next pic: fitment shot, left (driver side) rear
Next: right rear 12.5” of contact patch!
Next: quick side shot before covering it back up
Last pic: quad shock has a good 1/2” clearance.

Keep in mind the motor is still not in yet so far is sitting higher than it will with the lump back in it.
Starting Monday, motor goes back in along with K-member brace, replacement quad shocks and all new engine and tranny mounts (rubber, all).

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
CB7D30B7-4746-44A0-BB86-52D8772E4B94.jpeg 8FB11AF2-3509-4A30-A2B6-B46E74C10DA4.jpeg
Oh you guys are gonna LOVE this one..
Yesterday I commence with the removal, replacement and flipping of the quad shocks. And just like the ordeal with the caliper bolts, I can’t get the large, 21mm nut to budge. So I borrow my buddies torch again and make a separate trip to NAPA to buy a 21mm wrench. I soak the nuts/bolts overnight in PB Blaster and get after it today after work, around 1:30.
I’m cranking and smacking that freaking 21mm with everything I’ve got. Then I thought,”what if I wedge the 21 in and try ratcheting the 15mm bolt off from the onboard side? Worth a try, right?
Long story short: couple whacks and it busts loose. But the 21mm nut still doesn’t budge even after I back the bolt out all the way. And now e know why: the nut is factory welded onto the axle bracket!!

Sucker came off in a hurry after that. Put on the new one, cranked it down and replaced the wheel. Ditto on the other side! 10 minutes. Done. No torch. No stripping or bolt heads. Just a sweet, easy result (see pics)

joemomma

Reaction score
LOL. I think I went through the same thing when I did mine. I didn't remember having any difficulty until you mentioned it.

joe65

Reaction score
i had to remove the quads when i went to coil overs and i went with MM lower control arms. No wheel hop or anything that i've noticed without them....and yes, the back tires on my mustang get worn a bit faster than the fronts....:)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to be enough discussion for and against. So for now I will run with them. At some point in the near future I’ll pull them and compare for myself. Cheers!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Front: 5.85” 24mm offset
Rear: 6.84” 27mm offset
According to the info on the LMR website under the description of the wheel set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online