Fluid for T-45 Transmission

Pennywise2

Reaction score
This weekend I will be helping my friend flush and refill transmission fluid in a T-45
transmission.His car is a 97 GT and is unsure what transmission fluid he wants to use.
What transmission fluid are you guys useing in your T-45 transmissions?
Also after the transmission is completely flushed how much fluid does it take
to refill it? (He is unsure how many quarts to purchase)
Could you share some insight on this subject guys?
Thanks.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
yeah, 2 tips of advice:

when refilling the transmission, remove upper fill plug, and shifter. refill from shifter. its a TON easier than trying to pump it in thru the fill hole. (once it starts pouring out of the fill hole, its full)

if its grinding gears or anything, try pouring in a bottle of friction modifier into the oil. has always helped me.

as for what oil to use, the book and ford both call for ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). ive always used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, never had any issues with it. i would recomend Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or GM Synchromesh fluid. as for how many it takes, if i remember right its either 3 or 4 quarts, something like that.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
This weekend I will be helping my friend flush and refill transmission fluid in a T-45
transmission.His car is a 97 GT and is unsure what transmission fluid he wants to use.
Thanks.

i used royal purple in my tranny and diff and love it to death. :)

WarHorse

Reaction score
Mobil 1 synthetic, or royal purple ATF. and pour into the shifter, like it was mentioned above, it is a hell of alot easier than pumping it into the fill hole.

OP
OP
P

Pennywise2

Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
yeah, 2 tips of advice:

when refilling the transmission, remove upper fill plug, and shifter. refill from shifter. its a TON easier than trying to pump it in thru the fill hole. (once it starts pouring out of the fill hole, its full)

if its grinding gears or anything, try pouring in a bottle of friction modifier into the oil. has always helped me.

as for what oil to use, the book and ford both call for ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid). ive always used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, never had any issues with it. i would recomend Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or GM Synchromesh fluid. as for how many it takes, if i remember right its either 3 or 4 quarts, something like that.
Why does the T-45 transmission call for ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)?
I called a guy I know at Ford today and he said to use 3.1-3.2 quarts of ATF.
His transmission isn't grinding gears or anything so friction modifier will not be needed.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
reivaxtorres said:
yeah, 2 tips of advice:

His transmission isn't grinding gears or anything so friction modifier will not be needed.

i dunno, ford just did it that way. well, it wasnt ford, it was tremec, the maker of the transmission. i guess they needed something that meet the specifications that ATF meet. ford actually uses ATF in plenty of things, such as manual and auto transmissions and power steering systems.

Downshift

Reaction score
Not sure on the T45, but probably the same reason, in the T5 the ATF is needed because Regular Gear oil is too thick to get into the really small tight spaces where the needle bearings usually are.

zyzygy

Reaction score
Pennywise2 said:
Thanks.
I actually changed the trans oil yesterday, used gm synchromesh, used about 3 1/2 quarts, better shifting than with atf, removes shifter boot and used a tube from inside the car to upper opening, didn't have to remove shifter, had a carlift though.

OP
OP
P

Pennywise2

Reaction score
reivaxtorres said:
Pennywise2 said:
reivaxtorres said:
yeah, 2 tips of advice:

i dunno, ford just did it that way. well, it wasnt ford, it was tremec, the maker of the transmission. i guess they needed something that meet the specifications that ATF meet. ford actually uses ATF in plenty of things, such as manual and auto transmissions and power steering systems.
Thanks for the answer.
He said he will be useing Mobil One synthetic ATF.

GDawg

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
Pennywise2 said:
Thanks.

i used royal purple in my tranny and diff and love it to death. :)

+1

I bought the fluid and had a shop do the swap. I noticed a difference.

:thumb:

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've used various synthetics, and even motor oil, for me, synchromesh always worked the best.

As reviaxtorres said though, the various hydraulic, heat dissipating, and lube properties of ATF meet the requirement's in pretty much every manual transmission on the road today.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do it and dont look back. If your tranny is in good shape use it! Youll feel a difference! Good stuff

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I like the valvoline synchromesh. When I tore my t45 down that stuff stuck to the synchro's where the atf kind of just ran off the synchro. I definitely keep the synchromesh in mine now.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ B&M shift fluid does the same. All good stuff! All notable good stuff over atf.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
How do you feel towards the oe motorcraft atf?

I still prefer the synchromesh, 96blak54 says the b&m stuff is just like the synchromesh so I would opt for either of those over the atf. Give the synchromesh or b&m a try and see what you like. I found that mine shifted smoother with a manual fluid versus atf.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online