flywheel bolts

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am back under the car for the trans swap but I am hung up trying to get the bolts off of the flywheel. My impact has been needing replacement for a while so I went out and got a dewalt 20v and that doesn't make them budge either. I tried a little wd40 because I didn't have the actual penetrating oil but it did not help. Is it time to turn to heat or is there something else I am missing?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Don’t put heat back there. You probably going to need an extra set of hands to hold a pry bar on the flywheel teeth against the block dowel. Then you’ll need a good pull handle to break them loose.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I agree with @lwarrior1016

My recommendation is to hold the pry bar and find an old man with some pent up dad strength ready to show you up. My father in law made it look pretty easy while I held the bar.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Don’t put heat back there. You probably going to need an extra set of hands to hold a pry bar on the flywheel teeth against the block dowel. Then you’ll need a good pull handle to break them loose.
Thanks this was what got it in the end. I couldn't really figure out how to hold the wheel in place well enough to pry hard enough on it prior to this suggestion. I managed to hold the prybar against the dowel/teeth and the back end against the frame rail with my forearm and then was able to push away from me to get them out. There was a liberal amount of locktight red on it to the point I swear I could smell it when they came out.

My recommendation is to hold the pry bar and find an old man with some pent up dad strength ready to show you up. My father in law made it look pretty easy while I held the bar.
After two trips to home depot to get an impact that still could not touch them I had that pent up anger needed. The 2nd trip was 2x as annoying since I had to go through the entrance to return the one, then walk all the damn way across to tools, then all the way back across the parking lot. I hate the way they set those stores up.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
should I replace the rear main seal since I am back there, or just leave it alone if it looks ok?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
With my luck I would put it back together and it would leak
Just saying
Me I would replace it
I dont know your luck
with my luck I would pull out the better seal and replace it with some cheap crap that does not last and then I would have a leak after. I am not sure how to figure karma's reaction to this...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
If it’s only got 10k miles on it and it’s not leaking, I would leave it in there. That’s just my opinion though. I’d be scared of getting a new seal that was garbage.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would be afraid it would be as hard as the flywheel bolts or the TOB to get out. I got the pilot bearing out but the 2nd piece I am going to need a bigger slide hammer for. With as stuck as those two have been I think I will leave it alone.
PYX1gCg.jpg

HWXD5pR.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it came out with three little taps of this little sucker rented from vatozone.
ilkIthl.jpg

tap tap taaaaaperoonie...

Chris Stephens

Reaction score

That old man strength is real. I'm deathly afraid of beating on $h!+, so I usually go for the smaller hammer in the drawer. Then my 55 yo cousin comes over and finishes the job with the "real hammer and real swings". I'm a bigger, strong guy, and he gets stuff loose that I struggle with.

If it’s only got 10k miles on it and it’s not leaking, I would leave it in there. That’s just my opinion though. I’d be scared of getting a new seal that was garbage.

My luck would follow this. I tend to go too far with things and create my own problems.

Sounds like you got it figured out tho!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online