FNG checking in....

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just got my hands on a 94 GT convertible that is in need of some TLC. This is my first Mustang, first sports car actually, and driving it around so far I know I'm in trouble! :cool:

I come from TX originally, so until recently I was rocking a big Ram until an unfortunate accident claimed it (not my fault). Wife needed an AWD so the insurance money went to a new Subaru, leaving me with a broken-assed but late-ish model Honda Civic.

I figured if I was going to drive a fixer-upper, it best be a Stang! Sold the civic and picked this up for cheap:

usDECkH.jpg

I've already been doing some minor wrench-turning, clearing out busted bulbs, cleaned MAF sensor, replaced some ratty old K&N...some genius who owned it before me put in a later model key cylinder in the driver side door and busted the linkage on the passenger side, so I switched them so I could at least lock the dang thing!

My plan is to get it restored, maybe modernized somewhat with respect to the lights and interior trim. The guy I bought it from was a major gearhead who needed to focus his energy on other projects. He had completely restored a 67 stang and was working on a Boss 351. Below is a pic I snapped of the 67:

zkH1VEx.jpg

Anyway he hooked me up with a new clutch, new harmonic balancer, new tires, and more recent mustang wheels, as shown. It still needs a/c and I'm currently chasing a CEL which comes on intermittently. I have an ODB reader on the way, meantime Ford said they'd give me the free once-over and check out the code history.

Sorry for the long intro, but I am very enthusiastic about learning everything about this car! I am in the process of reading shop manuals cover to cover and figured this would be the best place to soak up everything I can!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Here you will find lots of helpful information and ideas on doing various restorations, repairs and improvements! Don't hesitate to ask.

Quick question: the OBD reader you ordered - it's for OBD-I vehicles, yes? Or, it's an OBD-II reader that can support OBD-I vehicles? If I'm telling you something you already know, my apologies. The 94 and 95 Mustangs have an OBD-II port under the dash but it doesn't work. Seriously. It's not hooked up to anything. They (the 94 and 95) still use an ODB-I connector (called a DLC - Diagnostic Link Connector) located in the engine bay, passenger side, between the firewall and strut tower. Hopefully you knew this already or your new scan tool can has a Ford OBD-I connector and can read them. The OBD-II stuff started with the 96+ Mustangs.

This is something to keep in mind too if you ever decide to do ECU reprogramming (like hand held tuners and stuff) - the vast majority of them are for OBD-II vehicles, which yours is not. You still have options, but it's like 3 (as in 3 options) rather than 30 like the OBD-II cars.

And tell me more about this Subaru :)

OP
OP
F

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
Yes it's an ODB-I reader, and no need for apologies as I am a total noob at this. I'd much rather get reinforcement from folks who've been there done that than make a costly mistake! :)

The Subaru is a 2015 Outback, rather vanilla actually, our first vehicle of this make. Drives like a dream though, wish I'd have gone with one when I bought that civic which was problem after wallet-emptying problem. :undecided:

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent :)

Curious to see what you think of the Outback as you drive it. I've got a 2011 STI (bought it new, was my first Subaru as well) for a daily driver and absolutely love it :)

OP
OP
F

FortyFiveAuto

Reaction score
We couldn't be happier with the Outback. It's the 4 cyl base model but that sucker jumps with a little pressure on the gas pedal, like no other 4 banger I've ever driven. I am very curious as to how the 6 cylinder model responds, and extremely so as to how their actual performance vehicles go.

I am thus far very impressed with the throttle response and precise handling, not to mention the little creature comforts and overall workmanship. Time will tell the whole story as the miles pile on, but I think we got ourselves a real winner. It's surely the most common vehicle in this town for a reason!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online