Foam is glued to the seats of a 94?

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
I have a 94 Vert that I am starting to look into having the seats re-upholstered. Been reading through pages of threads but let me ask a few questions to be sure:

1. Is it true that 1994 stangs have their foam glued to the seat covers? Or it depends on the year? Actually, I already bought foam for the driver's side but do I now need it for the passenger? Can't imagine where to find foam for the rear seats (bench)?

2. Is it true that my original saddle leather seats are only leather on the front seats and vinyl in the back?

Thx.
Clutch

Notthenow

Reaction score
I don't know about 1994, but 1998 is glued. New foam is considered unavoidable. Yes the rear seat is vinyl( on 1998). Unfortunately there isn't new foam. Plan on using poly batting to relayer foam. The seams are a pain to cut. It can be done well though if you have some background with upholstery.

Attachments

• 20200424_133209.jpg
    20200424_133209.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 9

Notthenow

Reaction score
Poly layer and finished with new cover

Attachments

• 20200427_145358.jpg
    20200427_145358.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200428_140404.jpg
    20200428_140404.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 11

Notthenow

Reaction score
Thanks, new upholstery and carpet really freshens a car up!

Attachments

• 20200913_170114.jpg
    20200913_170114.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Thx for such quick replies, guys. If anyone has a '94 that can attest to whether it is glued or not would luv to hear from them.

I will not be doing the upholstery as that is way beyond my skill level. I found a business that I have worked with before and they do a lot of custom car interiors. Their price is $1200.00 for vinyl which is the way I plan to go. $2500 for leather which is beyond my budget. Even they say I should go vinyl especially after finding out the back was vinyl. Heck I never saw the difference and it held up well.

I did order new 'saddle tan' carpet yesterday. First I was surprised one could still get this and 2nd I got it for only $150 at LMR... with free shipping. This I feel I can do myself as I already took out the old. Did a pretty in-depth vacuum and steam cleaning and it did look better but just sort of looked, well "tired". So I am looking for the new refresh.

Notthenow

Reaction score
1200 including the upholstery is not bad. I think the full kits run about 600 and just the rear is a bit of labor. CJ Pony has a decent how to video on carpet install.

Chip66

Reaction score
Thx for such quick replies, guys. If anyone has a '94 that can attest to whether it is glued or not would luv to hear from them.
I have a NOS lower seat cushion for a '94 that I just confirmed is glued in the center section. The sides and front are not.

1633105488337.png

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Thx Chip. I went to one up upholsterer and he wouldn't even touch working on a mustang because of that. This other place didn't seem to really be concerned about the foam but I will confirm with them about the situation.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Is it just the center hump or the seams? Mine had the four seams glued and it takes a good bit of time to carefully cut them off the foam. A shop may balk because of the labor involved.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Go to the TMI website. I think they have their install guide online. They sell most of the upholstery available for restoration.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Just checked TMI, their instructions cover 94-98, so same set up. Decent photo guide. Actually made for installers so they don't explain every step, but it gives you an idea of what is involved to show the shop.

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Yea, I watched those install videos and it wasn't detailed enuf for me to even consider plus I have no special tools for that sort of thing. So I would rather pay for the pros to do it right. They have years of experience and for this I will gladly pay for their expertise. But I will consult with them again just to make sure we are all square as to what is involved.

Notthenow

Reaction score
Absolutely, always good to research first so you can speak with some knowledge of the process with a shop. U took upholstery in trade school years ago and had done few interiors so decided to tackle myself. Still had to learn some new skills!

Chip66

Reaction score
Is it just the center hump or the seams? Mine had the four seams glued and it takes a good bit of time to carefully cut them off the foam. A shop may balk because of the labor involved.
The glue starts on the outside edge of the seam. The seam doesn't move in the foam at all.

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I have a 94 Vert that I am starting to look into having the seats re-upholstered. Been reading through pages of threads but let me ask a few questions to be sure:

1. Is it true that 1994 stangs have their foam glued to the seat covers? Or it depends on the year? Actually, I already bought foam for the driver's side but do I now need it for the passenger? Can't imagine where to find foam for the rear seats (bench)?

2. Is it true that my original saddle leather seats are only leather on the front seats and vinyl in the back?

Thx.
Clutch
If you're looking for cloth rear seats I have a set in perfect condition that I have no use for (thought about turning em into a mini couch but never got around to it)

OP
OP
C

Clutch Cargo

Reaction score
Thx for the offer Blueraz_5.0. If you said they were leather in saddle tan I probably woulda snapped them up in no time. Seems like shipping from Dallas to San Diego would be more expensive than the seat themselves, ha!

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Thx for the offer Blueraz_5.0. If you said they were leather in saddle tan I probably woulda snapped them up in no time. Seems like shipping from Dallas to San Diego would be more expensive than the seat themselves, ha!
True, they're grey and cloth, and probably not good for much, but I dont want to throw em out just yet

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
True, they're grey and cloth, and probably not good for much, but I dont want to throw em out just yet
I think in the end I was just asking $25 to get rid of them from my garage and could not get any nibbles on that. In the end I stripped the seat tracks and sold them, and then I also took out the inflatable lumbar support and installed that in my corbeau's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online