foglight switch

Discussion in 'Electrical & Stereo' started by redfire4.6, Jan 14, 2016.

1. redfire4.6

redfire4.6 New Member

The green light on the switch wont turn off, i cant turn my foglights off. Is there a way to find out if the former owner rigged it some how or if its just a bad switch? Is there a how-to somewhere i can read to get to the back of the switch? Thanks.

2. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

Did it ever work & now just won't? Do you know how to use a voltmeter or Ohmeter?

3. ttocs

ttocs Legend

yes look at the back of it and you can get an idea of what was done to it. its a common mod to wire them up so you can turn them on with the parking lights sounds like they wired it up to a constant source instead.

4. redfire4.6

redfire4.6 New Member

It's always worked. I just don't like the fact that I can't turn them off when I want too.

5. 07GtS197

07GtS197 Well-Known Member

Op what year is your stang? Ford has 2 different mounting locations for the foglight switch and they require different methods to remove. Also is your car a v6 or gt/cobra? The v6s didnt have foglights from the factory so who knows how the po wired it if thats the case.

6. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

No I meant were you able to turn it off before & now all of a sudden you can't? Doesn't sound like that is the case from your responses.

A. The switch does not work ever since you got it, test it with an Ohmmeter...replace as needed
    B. It is wired around the switch to a hot wire & it only shuts off with the key....rewire it through a good switch.

7. 9838stang

9838stang Well-Known Member

Or the switch itself has become bad, and when the PO did the foglight mod, it was just a matter of time when that switch decided to not work. Do you have access to another switch?

8. ttocs

ttocs Legend

it could be any number of things. Until you can pull it out and get eyes on it though we will never know. Pop the switch out and get us a pic of where the wiring goes. It will be easier to see if you pull out the inside of the center console