Reaction score
A PDF for a wire tuck lol, Waist of beer money

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get the pdf or the paper back? When I bought mine from him he emailed me pretty much immediately.

PDF, he ended up sending it pretty quick. I was just being unreasonable, like I said :)

A PDF for a wire tuck lol, Waist of beer money

Haha, okay guys, how about this: <doing my best movie narrator guy voice over> There exists, in this world, strange and rare people who actually like reading manuals. They will buy the manuals before buying the part(s), read the manuals, and then consider whether it's worth doing the work based on the manual. <dramatic pause> Perhaps it's a weird concept, and certainly one can just jump in and do things. And a lot of times, these magical beings do just that - just jump in and do something. But... <another dramatic pause> if there is a manual available, and they can read it and get an idea of what they are in for before getting in to it, well they do that.

^ Clearly, I am one of those people ;) I read MM instructions before I own the part. It helps me gauge the amount of work that will be required against all the other things I have going on, and I can make a decision as to whether that is something I want to get involved in now, later, or never. Certainly I could have done the tuck without the manual, just start unplugging shit and re-routing it. However, I already have a lot going on with the car and I want it back on the road again ASAP. So I use the manual to manage my time. Well worth the $15 IMO :)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I like reading manual too, just because I have the spare time at work to do so lol. I bought the book just to have on hand in case I wanted something to read, or I could look over it and see what he did vs what I did. When I did mine though, I didn't have the book. I bought it after I did most of my wiring and I did it different than he did in the book.

I don't think $15 for reading material is too much of a waste.

Also, I read you post in the most dramatic movie tone I could imagine lol.

95opal

Reaction score
Ypu can do a wire tuck in the amount of time it will take to read the pdf. Heck by time he sends it you can be finished.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ypu can do a wire tuck in the amount of time it will take to read the pdf. Heck by time he sends it you can be finished.

All true, I'm sure. Except that I can't work on the car at anytime I want, I have to juggle it with other things. I'll have to jack up the front of the car, pull off the front bumper. Then remove both front fenders - something I've never done before. Wheels will have to come off too I'm sure to make it easier. And then I can get to tuckin! But at that point, I've committed the car to a wire tuck. I can't work on my door panels. I can't finish up my roll bar or my dash wiring. And people say it's easy, but if I just jumped in and hit a snag, well now what? On top of that, a wire tuck isn't critical to me right now. So all I'm saying is that sure, I get it. Just do it. A lot of things on this car, I literally just do it. I don't wait around. And if nothing else was going on with the car right now, then I would have just did it. However, I'm in the middle of planning a wedding that is coming up. Planning a vacation in a week. Doing all the stupid house shit one has to do when one owns a house. For me, at this point, it's worth the $15 to have a better idea of what I'd be getting in to. I don't have days straight of available time to work on the car, I have to mingle it with all the other crap going on right now.

Like I said, if nothing else was going on with the car, I would have just done it. But this is what the car looks like right now, and has for far, far too long:

IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_4047.jpg

So, after reading through the manual, I have a better idea of what's involved with the tuck and whether I want to take that mini-project on right now in addition to all the other things I am working on/have planned :)

Edit: plus, I just like reading manuals :D

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to remove the fenders, just the plastic liners. However, taking the fenders off is really quite easy and makes accessing the wires worlds easier.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to remove the fenders, just the plastic liners. However, taking the fenders off is really quite easy and makes accessing the wires worlds easier.

Hmm. I probably will remove them, 1) just to do it so I know what it's about and 2) I removed the smog pump, so I kind of want to get over on that passenger side and remove the crap there that I no longer need. I currently have plugged vac lines in my engine bay that feed the smog stuff. I want that gonzers.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i feel ya on reading instructions before attempting things...it's the paying for a "manual" that is pretty easily found all over the internet. in fact i was emailed this same exact "manual" that people are paying for lol. i shared it on the source before realizing this was something he was trying to profit from and i deleted the post.

there's a few forum members that would walk ya right on through a wire tuck....for free :)

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i feel ya on reading instructions before attempting things...it's the paying for a "manual" that is pretty easily found all over the internet. in fact i was emailed this same exact "manual" that people are paying for lol. i shared it on the source before realizing this was something he was trying to profit from and i deleted the post.

there's a few forum members that would walk ya right on through a wire tuck....for free :)

Oh I see what you are saying. Yah, I was thinking about that as I was looking through it, maybe documenting my tuck (if I do it) on a 95 since his manual doesn't specifically deal with that year. But I don't want to necessarily take money out of his pocket. I'm sure there are some guides out there, and I know people would help if I were in the middle of it, but I like pictures :) Most of the stuff I've seen has been all words. If he were asking much more than $15 for the "manual" I would have passed. But it worked out okay. And I'm sure I'll have questions as I get into it, and I know the good folks on this forum will help :D :thumbsup:

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
don't ask [MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] for any help until you are ready to question your own manhood cause he is brutal :grin:

j/k lol....but seriously he's fuukin mean :sad5:

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Print off all the manuals/instructions for everything you have done to the car, and organize it all into a big 3-ring binder with dividers for sections like "engine" and "suspension". Then you have one custom owner's manual for YOUR car.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Print off all the manuals/instructions for everything you have done to the car, and organize it all into a big 3-ring binder with dividers for sections like "engine" and "suspension". Then you have one custom owner's manual for YOUR car.

then sell it to forum members :hmm:

DavidBoren

Reaction score
It wouldn't really do too many forum members much good unless they have the same mods you do. The point is to have all the installation instructions and manuals for everything you have done to your car. You have a personalized service manual, specific to your car with the upgrades/mods/parts you have.

So unless you were selling it to someone as a how-to guide. Like if you built a time attack car to a specific class and the car did very well, and someone wanted to build a competitive car to the same class requirements... then sure, selling them your custom service manual may be beneficial. Or as toilet reading material.

Now if you sold detailed chapters, like "GT40 top end swap for dummies" and "MM max grip box install and track impressions" PDF's, then you might be on to something.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I sort of am doing that, to keep it with the factory manual. Because I've changed wiring and stuff, parts of the factory manual are actually now wrong for my car. So I have my changes in there so if it eff's up in the future, I can refer to my "addendum" to sort it out.

then sell it to forum members :hmm:

Lulz funny you say that. As I was reading through the PDF, I was like "Hmm, that Cluster Swap re-wire thing I'm doing...I could totally PDF that beotch up sell it!" But I won't. I'm okay giving back to the forum for all the help I've received. It's not that big of a deal. On something huge, like maybe a really complicated engine swap, maybe that's a different story. But not planning any of those so...yah. :)

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I knew someone who had a 3-ring binder with sections of the hayes/chilton manual, print outs and walkthroughs from the internet, and all the installation instructions for everything he bought. He had it very well organized, with dividers and tabs/labels. He only had the parts out of the factory service manual and the hayes/chilton books that still pertained to his very much modified Evo. It was, simply put, THAT exact car's service manual. It wouldn't do any good really for any other Evo owner unless they, by chance, had the same mods he did.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I knew someone who had a 3-ring binder with sections of the hayes/chilton manual, print outs and walkthroughs from the internet, and all the installation instructions for everything he bought. He had it very well organized, with dividers and tabs/labels. He only had the parts out of the factory service manual and the hayes/chilton books that still pertained to his very much modified Evo. It was, simply put, THAT exact car's service manual. It wouldn't do any good really for any other Evo owner unless they, by chance, had the same mods he did.

I respect that.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
It's like an autobiography for your car. Think of it as a build thread, in a book. You specify what is still original/stock/factory by including those portions of the oem service manual or the parts of the hayes/chilton books that cover the basic stuff you haven't changed.

He had pages of notes with the paperwork to each upgrade/modification. Like the installation instructions for his new wastegate and blow off valve had a page of notes stating that these parts allowed him this much more boost than the previous set-up. He had dyno sheets and his own tuning tables printed out and attached to or filed with whatever mod it was that made him change his tune or go to the dyno. It was actually quite an incredible and complete catalog of that car's history and performance under his ownership.

I lost contact with him after I got out of the army, so I don't know if he still has the car or the book. But if I was going to buy a second hand, pre-modified vehicle, I know that I would pay extra for a upgrade record/personalized service manual to go with the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online