For welding on Subframe Connectors: MIG or TIG welding?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin_Bradley, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Justin_Bradley

Justin_Bradley New Member

Did a little bit (< 10 minutes) of research, and discovered that basically the difference is that TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) is more complicated but the end result is a much thinner bead than MIG (Metal Inert Gas), and "the quality of a TIG weld bead meets the needs of aerospace, power piping and other critical applications. TIG also produces the best looking weld beads, which is why it is often specified when cosmetic appearances really count  and why TIG welding operators are considered the artists of the welding world.(http://www.millerwelds.com/education/success_stories/story18.php)" However, "A MIG weld user, meanwhile, can carry on working despite being a novice welder.(http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Is-The-Difference-Between-A-MIG-Weld-And-A-TIG-Weld?&id=79602)"

Now this will be a show car, and I have the Maximum Motorsports XL Series connectors to go on (read: :bling: ), so appearance does matter somewhat, but is someone, even if they get under my car, going to look at them and honestly be able to say "Ewww! Should have gotten them TIG welded!"?

Your thoughts and opinions, please...

2. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

no, its not that big of a difference...plus you can get the welds grounded down so they are flat.

3. GDawg

GDawg Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter which you choose if you get an "F" level welder. I got my Kenny Brown SuperSubs, Matrix brace and Jacking rails welding on by some bozo in Las Vegas. He has a bigger (Performance) shop these days but after viewing his work and complaining of the sloppy work, he replied, "you didn't tell me you wanted 'show quality welds'".... Fuck head....

I think they were "MIGS"....

I need to learn welding so I can do it myself.

4. Spyder

Spyder Active Member

Tig is a lot more complicated, and will be a bit more pricey. But you can still get show quality welds with a mig, ask Dalamar, we are both welders and its doable for sure