Ford Racing 4.6L Aluminator N/A Engine

SVTstang96

Reaction score
As a few of you may know I was parting a 2001 Cobra. I just found out that the motor in it is the infamous ALUMINATOR 4.6 N/A engine. Here is a little background of what the engine has.

PRODUCT FEATURES

• 4.6L DOHC Aluminator long block (281 cubic inches)
  • 10:1 compression ratio (nominal)
  • Perfect for Naturally Aspirated Applications
  • Built with all New Parts
  • Assembled aluminum long block with 2003-2004 Cobra cylinder heads and camshafts
  • Forged pistons, forged H-beam connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft
  • 03-04 Cobra Cylinder Heads and Cams

The engine was produced in 2008, but the car was wrecked in the middle of 2010. Being a typical mustang I am guessing the engine was put in around the winter of 2009 and has very little life on it. Also the flywheel was relatively fresh since there were still machine marks on it, and the exedy stage 2 clutch still had the exedy logo printed on the friction plate. All this tells me that in reality the engine probable has >1k miles but max of 5k miles. It ran great before I pulled it also.

On top of the engine, there was also bbl long tube headers, bbk catted x-pipe, bbl dual 65mm throttle body, bbl under drive pulleys, and bbl cai.

I am debating whether to sell the engine or keep it for my 96 cobra. If I do decide to keep it, I will remove my 96 cobra's intake cams and install them on this one. With those kind of mods what kind of power would a setup like that be outputting at the crank and at the wheels? I have been trying to find specs on the hp and torque output of the aluminator but can't seem to find anything. I have heard anywhere from 330-385 but no definitive answer yet. I might just end up calling FRPP and seeing if they know. Also a few people who I have talked to have given me estimates of 415-475 hp with those mods.

THANKS

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Keep it for the 96 and throw a ported Eaton on top! :D

Thought about it, only problem is its the 10:1 compression ratio version. If it were the 8.5:1 I wouldn't be thinking anymore.... Id have the parts ordered and here tomorrow lol.

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Thought about it, only problem is its the 10:1 compression ratio version. If it were the 8.5:1 I wouldn't be thinking anymore.... Id have the parts ordered and here tomorrow lol.

Run the eaton seup on it with 8lbs of boost, you'll be mid 400's with the current boltons. The compression on the motor isn't too high to cause any problems.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Run the eaton seup on it with 8lbs of boost, you'll be mid 400's with the current boltons. The compression on the motor isn't too high to cause any problems.

I think I would rather use a centri style blower just due to heat. The eatons (Heaton) makes a bunch of heat and could make detonation a common problem. Compression, Heat, and Boost are not a great idea although with a meth kit and e85 that wouldn't really be an issue. Im going to do a bunch more research and see what route I want to go. I may just keep the engine on a stand. Clean it up and gather parts over the next year. I would love to do e85, boost, and a t56 but don't want to spend that kind of money right now. I have all the wiring, computer, engine, and exhaust I just need to decide on the route i want to go and start gathering parts. I may even just build a nice little n/a e85 engine with 96 cobra cams. Throw some timing at it and call it good.

OP
OP
SVTstang96

SVTstang96

Reaction score
E85 is the bomb..... except its like 4.50 a gallon near me and I think the quality is poor

The D3V

Really? I think e85 is right around the 3.25 range here. I know we have a few low quality places but a friend of mine is running e85 on his twin turbo term and has found a couple places with good quality in the area. Ill have to see where he gets his if I do decide to go that route.

alex302

Reaction score
my mach 1 motor has 10:1 and at 8lbs it made a very safe 456hp to the wheels. When i build a new bottom end it will be 10:1 or a little more and the boost is going up :) its all about the right tune and fuel ratio...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If your not squeezing out at least 18:1 under boost ....why boost? 4v heads love compression! Most of todays 4cyl cars are no less than 10:1 compression while able to run 87octane. 4v for for the win!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online