Ford Racing Boss 5.3L Stroker | Future Decisions...

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
As some of you may know I am tossing ideas what I want to do with this 02 GT Vert I got sitting at my parents place. The engine has rod bearing failure and I could either fix it, junk the short block & sell the heads, or buy forged short block. Mind you I am not doing this from budget stand point because I like to do it right the first time and never mess with it again type of guy. Looking at the specifications on this short block this would make a KILLER N/A setup on trickflow 38CC heads with some type of performance cam, with compression probably in the 12-13 range...how much power you think you can pull out of this engine. 500hp N/A would be awesome and perfect for summer/show cruiser without the reliability issues with a supercharger. I wonder what are your thoughts on this new short block. Here are specs...

* 3.701 in. bore x 3.750 in. stroke
* Connecting rods: Eagle 5.850 in. forged steel H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
* New high-pressure oil pump
* Eagle 3.750 in. stroke forged steel crankshaft with 8-bolt flywheel pattern
* Neutral balance rotating assembly
* Ford Racing M-6010-BOSS50 cast iron performance block

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6009-b53?seid=srese1&gclid=CJj_lLzwncsCFYIfHwodWD8HRA

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
500hp na 2V would be interesting. Has it been done yet? I don't think I have even seen a 450rwhp one yet.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Ive never seen a streetable 500hp 2v. The one i did see was basically stripped down with a LOT of compression and a whole lot of head work, custom cams, sheetmetal intake, distributor drive, etc. i believe the guy said he had about $15k in the engine installation package.

For what it would cost to get to that power level with a 2v, id just throw a modest built shortblock in and a procharger or single 70mm turbo and make more power

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
like said, even 450rwhp n/a from a modular 2v will take serious cam and compression. You will have to be okay with running E85 or race fuel constantly as well. As said above, for a fraction of that cost, you could easily just forge the rods/pistons in the current short block, upgrade to ARP hardware, and slap a small turbo or pro charger/vortech on and easily exceed 450-500 and it will drive like stock on 93 octane until WOT. Just food for thought

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
You guys have solid answers. I was looking at the spec sheet and even running 44cc heads on this block puts in 11:0-11:5 range so you think a higher compression head wouldn't get the car to atleast 460hp N/A? I am trying to do something different since my 96' GT will be the boost monster. If this can't be done reasonably without sinking a small fortune into it, then going boosted with forged internals could suffice.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I still think you would enjoy a higher compression trick flow headed 2V even if its not 450rwhp or more.

I was considering buying a Bullitt to do this in if I can't find the right Saleen. A 375rwhp na 2V car would be pretty damn fun to drive around in.

Already have the 38cc TF's and forged everything. I would just need different pistons and get rid of my blower cams and blower. I am still holding out hope on finding the right 96-98 Saleen though but I am getting impatient.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I still think you would enjoy a higher compression trick flow headed 2V even if its not 450rwhp or more.

I was considering buying a Bullitt to do this in if I can't find the right Saleen. A 375rwhp na 2V car would be pretty damn fun to drive around in.

Already have the 38cc TF's and forged everything. I would just need different pistons and get rid of my blower cams and blower. I am still holding out hope on finding the right 96-98 Saleen though but I am getting impatient.

I still want your blower and supporting hardware! I'm getting married so this year has been tough. I agree a high compression N/A engine seems like the unorthodox thing to do these days but would be so fun! I can see it now: LT's, 38CC heads, 324ci, P51, Pullies, and efficient water pump. 420rwhp N/A with no reliability issues and great handling...

McCloud

Reaction score
I've got the 44cc TF heads on a 5.3L boss block/stroker. I'm running 9.0 CR with turbo spec cams and BBK shorties. I made 316/301 through an automatic. I think with some higher compression, more NA friendly cams, 5spd and revving it to 6500+ you could come close to 375+rwhp. I don't think that power level you're looking to achieve is going to be very practical or achieved without a small fortune. Like others have suggested, I'd forego the radical NA build and just forge the internals, port the PI heads, and boost it.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I've got the 44cc TF heads on a 5.3L boss block/stroker. I'm running 9.0 CR with turbo spec cams and BBK shorties. I made 316/301 through an automatic. I think with some higher compression, more NA friendly cams, 5spd and revving it to 6500+ you could come close to 375+rwhp. I don't think that power level you're looking to achieve is going to be very practical or achieved without a small fortune. Like others have suggested, I'd forego the radical NA build and just forge the internals, port the PI heads, and boost it.

I see, words of wisdom! Thanks for insight. How do you like the 5.3L boss block stroker?

McCloud

Reaction score
I see, words of wisdom! Thanks for insight. How do you like the 5.3L boss block stroker?

I didn't buy that exact shortblock. I pieced mine together in 2009. Bought the block from LMR, rotating assembly and heads/cams from Cushman motorsports, etc. I've switched to an Edelbrock/6061 intake combo and lost some low end torque now but gained some upper end power. Car really comes alive from 4k on. I can't wait until I get it back from the fab shop with the turbo on it.

OP
OP
JerZeyStangz

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I didn't buy that exact shortblock. I pieced mine together in 2009. Bought the block from LMR, rotating assembly and heads/cams from Cushman motorsports, etc. I've switched to an Edelbrock/6061 intake combo and lost some low end torque now but gained some upper end power. Car really comes alive from 4k on. I can't wait until I get it back from the fab shop with the turbo on it.

Sounds awesome! It really should put down some stout numbers, what is the compressor size of the turbo? Depending on boost it probably wouldn't break sweat hitting close to 600

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
350-375rwhp N/A would still be crazy fun. That's coyote power in a lighter less refined car.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
350-375rwhp N/A would still be crazy fun. That's coyote power in a lighter less refined car.

Would definitely be a lot of fun. If I'm building a wild n/a build and dropping $10k that thing better be more than fun lol

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you may know I am tossing ideas what I want to do with this 02 GT Vert I got sitting at my parents place. The engine has rod bearing failure and I could either fix it, junk the short block & sell the heads, or buy forged short block. Mind you I am not doing this from budget stand point because I like to do it right the first time and never mess with it again type of guy. Looking at the specifications on this short block this would make a KILLER N/A setup on trickflow 38CC heads with some type of performance cam, with compression probably in the 12-13 range...how much power you think you can pull out of this engine. 500hp N/A would be awesome and perfect for summer/show cruiser without the reliability issues with a supercharger. I wonder what are your thoughts on this new short block. Here are specs...

* 3.701 in. bore x 3.750 in. stroke
* Connecting rods: Eagle 5.850 in. forged steel H-beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts
* New high-pressure oil pump
* Eagle 3.750 in. stroke forged steel crankshaft with 8-bolt flywheel pattern
* Neutral balance rotating assembly
* Ford Racing M-6010-BOSS50 cast iron performance block

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6009-b53?seid=srese1&gclid=CJj_lLzwncsCFYIfHwodWD8HRA

Here is your 500hp 2V!

http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?71188-Tfs-195-heads-518hp!&p=1381062#post1381062

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Glad to inspire!

The static compression could get a little bit touchy beyond what trickflow planned out. I would know more if I could see an ignition timing chart. I other words, if timing reaches 25° at any point, more compression could be destructive. Of course im sure this was all chassis dyno'd which leads me to believe more is available! Technically speaking and the only true way to know the full hp potential of these tfs headed modulars is pushing the limits on the track. It took an understanding for me to realize why some racers choose not to dyno. The engines are built nearly to self destruct to the cars gearing, weight, etc.. That running on the dyno, the engine would destruct. With this said, their is no dought 550+rwhp will be achieved. Only way of knowing is through track times mathmatics.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online