Found something interesting - former Bob Bondurant Cobra R?

GrumpyBadger

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm way too new, and also this isn't my car for sale.

Basically, we all know hopefully the "look out" of Craigslist. Some things on there, seriously can make one chuckle.

However, sometimes a rare gem is found.

I'm wondering if I've stumbled across one, or, if it's a sham. Either way, I feel like if I don't share this with the community, I might get crucified by you guys. I found it on the Phoenix Criagslist:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4598715313.html

they're claiming it's a "1997 Mustang Cobra R Bondurant Race Car" :shocked:

WTF?! can this possibly be real?! And looking at the paint job, good Lord, is that original paint or what did they do to it!
00q0q_hTov6WQatvl_600x450.jpg

"proof" I guess, it's at least a Cobra? I really need to learn all these things.

00Z0Z_21jI65rGCEY_600x450.jpg

is there a way to look up this car to check validity of this? I don't care if all Mr. Bondurant did was fart in it, or just even just have it as part of his school. If it can be tied to him or his school, it's something wicked cool to say at a track meet or car show. Let alone something that already should be quite capable already.

I'm cynical though, my bets are it's a hoax.

oh, and another one, for pure entertainment sake, states: "
Performance mods tuned by [shop named here*] and Dyno'd at nearly 400hp. Looks and runs as good as it sounds... I will drive you pretty much anywhere you want to go, (providing you buy the gas for long trips) to show you how she handles and to prove that it does not overheat. I will be the one in control of this pony at all times until the money changes hands, then you are free to drive it how you want."

yeah... NO... I ain't buying anything I can't test drive myself first... especially something claiming "nearly 400hp" when it has:
Cold air intake
Aggressive street cam
Custom exhaust with 3 inch chrome tips
Twin Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
4.30 gears

umm... the 4.30 gears make the car have less rwhp because of friction, and I don't care what cam it is, cam and CAI don't create nearly 400hp out of an otherwise stock 98 GT... nope. Apparently maybe (and I'm being very liberal on hp number) 300hp at the fly is "nearly 400hp" I guess. I guess in comparison to the 106hp (yes it's true) in my 2009 Pontiac G3 (engine is smaller than most Harleys
:rolleyes:) it is [/i]closer[/i] to 400hp. I still wouldn't count it as "nearly" however.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4577782800.html

*oh, and I've heard some not-so-nice things about the shop he had it done at. All you gotta do is google and check out their BBB ratings or forums. Hence why I didn't name it in the quote.

and if either of these cars are actual member's cars... don't get butthurt by this thread. PROVE IT!

Cobra R that Bondurant had? Prove it! Seriously, if you do, and can... man oh man... I don't even want to fathom that right now.

"Nearly 400hp"? get me a dyno sheet dated August 7th or later, with (and I'll give you this) rwhp of 320 or more, and I'll believe it, and you really need to also state what heads, headers, intake manifold you have on there. AKA Prove it! lol

:thumbsup:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Use to see them from time to time or even just parts for them that were wrecked when I live in phoenix. They are cool cars but they were beat on not only by pros but by the students as well So I am not sure what they would be worth honestly. I had a guy across the street and his g-friend was a receptionist there and said it was a little funny that bob had lost his license because of eye problems I thought it was but that he would regularly grab the keys and take laps around the track.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
All mustangs have been beat on at some point in there life

RichV

Reaction score
Um, yea. Sure. Whatever.

#1 The Cobra R was only made in 1993, 1995, and 2000. So that's out.

Looks to be a Bondurant Cobra. The paint is most likely some owner's idea of cool. It has traces of the Bondurant orange, and yet the OEM Cobra color from Ford under the hood. Should have a fuel cell out back plus a on-board fire system. Roll cage/window net and wheels are there. Would make a good race car but the cage would need some modification to be legal. HP is stock, but the motor has heavy duty cooling system plus some other reliability items. I love seller's claims, I'd go check it out just to **** with the seller. Ask a bunch of stupid questions and see how they answer.

But honestly, the price is not bad for what you get. Ask them to drop it by $2000 because of the embarrassing paint job. :D

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The first car has way too much going on. Looks ragged out and unappealing. Sure it's got some goodies but not $7000 worth.

The second car is actually very nice looking, but LOL @ 400 HP with cams and a cai. I'm sure it's going to sell rather quickly though due to the "extremely hard hitting system". :D

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
All mustangs have been beat on at some point in there life

Yes I completely agree but these were occasionally NOT beaten on. For the most part were driven hard each day out, in the desert of phoenix where it doesn't get UNDER 100 degrees for 3-4 months of the year..... I know they had a maint facility and took care of them onsite but idunno.

The ones I saw out there were always orange like he said.

chris91

Reaction score
I will never understand why people would paint a car and leave the damn door jambs the old color. Engine Bay I can understand but the jambs there is no excuse.

Oh and wheres the other cam in the 98? One street cam isnt cuttin it. :D

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can see the original color under the hood.

00404_4tJgIoHB6P1_600x450.jpg

It might be cool for a track car at this point you could not do anything to it that probably has not already been done to it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I see them pop up for sale online every now and then. There was one in VA recently for @ $12k that was in decent shape. If I was looking for a ready made weekend track car I may take a shot on one their old cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online