Fourth day ownership got hit now build thread.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Good job on those heads. The previous user of those heads was not the brightest bulb in the pack. That rtv is not necessary, and it looks like oil changes were more of a suggestion than a requirement.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Those look like 5.4l heads! Check around the exhaust area for part#'s. See if 5.4l is embossed there. Im not 100% familiar with the pi version, but do know the water cavities are much bigger than the 4.6l. If they follow along how the npi heads went, the exhaust port is bigger as well.

Since youll be adding cams and tuning the car, consider more compression by swapping in a set of flat top pistons. Most cams need a valve relief in the piston to clear interference. Their are cams that are slightly better than stock that dont need reliefs. What im saying here is, you want the biggest benefits from ALL your purchases, swap to the flat top reliefed pistons.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Those look like 5.4l heads! Check around the exhaust area for part#'s. See if 5.4l is embossed there. Im not 100% familiar with the pi version, but do know the water cavities are much bigger than the 4.6l. If they follow along how the npi heads went, the exhaust port is bigger as well.

Since youll be adding cams and tuning the car, consider more compression by swapping in a set of flat top pistons. Most cams need a valve relief in the piston to clear interference. Their are cams that are slightly better than stock that dont need reliefs. What im saying here is, you want the biggest benefits from ALL your purchases, swap to the flat top reliefed pistons.
Ran the numbers on both since they're the same. 07 crown vic Romeo pi heads 4.6 liter. Got bored and started cleaning them myself. Gonna have machine shop fix em up all nice and new.
4e68305ccc99a896e0d910e65f33a737.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Now all we need is to gut the front end out to swap in that 5.4l you desire!!!

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
So stage 1 comp cams are in route ,wholy shit I'm doing it fellas.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So stage 1 comp cams are in route ,wholy shit I'm doing it fellas.

Do it! When does tear down begin?

Quick tidbit, make sure you have a good torque wrench, and follow torque patterns very closely. I find it easiest to sit the heads on the block with no cams installed. When you have the valve train put in, some of the valves are hanging out and you could easily bend one when putting the heads on.

Finally, a little motivation....a buddy and I did this swap in a weekend. We started Saturday morning, worked till it got dark, then started back at it on Sunday morning. He drove to work with it on Monday. It's not hard, just kind of time consuming. Make sure you have all your gaskets ready and take a lot of pictures for us. Also, we will be here if you need assistance.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
A little more motivation, this is the one we built. It has a little more cam though.

[video=youtube;_eaAPp2BGkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eaAPp2BGkk&amp=&feature=youtu.be&app=desk top[/video]

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Do it! When does tear down begin?

Quick tidbit, make sure you have a good torque wrench, and follow torque patterns very closely. I find it easiest to sit the heads on the block with no cams installed. When you have the valve train put in, some of the valves are hanging out and you could easily bend one when putting the heads on.

Finally, a little motivation....a buddy and I did this swap in a weekend. We started Saturday morning, worked till it got dark, then started back at it on Sunday morning. He drove to work with it on Monday. It's not hard, just kind of time consuming. Make sure you have all your gaskets ready and take a lot of pictures for us. Also, we will be here if you need assistance.
I appreciate it bro ,I'll take pics and videos. What cam is in that vid? And tear down begins as soon as I get all the ducks in a row.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I appreciate it bro ,I'll take pics and videos. What cam is in that vid? And tear down begins as soon as I get all the ducks in a row.

Thats a turbo grind cam from bullet that's a little bigger than the stage 3's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.