Fourth day ownership got hit now build thread.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Need advise on where to get timing kit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Timing kit as far as what? You should have iron chain tensioners already so you dont need to replace those. Your chains will be fine. Just go to the local parts house and get new guides and tensioner arms. Ive used cloyes stuff without issue.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Timing kit as far as what? You should have iron chain tensioners already so you dont need to replace those. Your chains will be fine. Just go to the local parts house and get new guides and tensioner arms. Ive used cloyes stuff without issue.
Thank you for reply, I was told to get the whole new kit. So this'll save me some cash.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Thank you for reply, I was told to get the whole new kit. So this'll save me some cash.

I wouldnt worry with the whole unit. Just the tensioner arms and guides. If the tensioners are iron, take them apart and clean them up and reuse. Same with the chains.

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Need advise on where to get timing kit.

Don't quote me on this but your timing set up that you have should work. Did you have Romeo heads to start? If anything pick up a new set of timing chain guides/runners and clean up your chain and timing gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Don't quote me on this but your timing set up that you have should work. Did you have Romeo heads to start? If anything pick up a new set of timing chain guides/runners and clean up your chain and timing gears.

Yes I have the romeo pi heads to go on.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Are the heads on your car now Romeo? Romeo are 11 bolts on your valve cover and Windsor are 13 I believe.

That I'm not sure of. And the gt is covered in snow I'll be checking asap though.

mustangmurley

Reaction score
That I'm not sure of. And the gt is covered in snow I'll be checking asap though.

I feel your pain it's snowing/freezing rain here in Indiana and not stopping. But if you have Windsor heads I think the timing cover bolts and cam gear install are different than the Romeo and you'll need Romeo valve covers obviously. I'm trying to remember everything I looked up last winter when I was doing my swap.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I feel your pain it's snowing/freezing rain here in Indiana and not stopping. But if you have Windsor heads I think the timing cover bolts and cam gear install are different than the Romeo and you'll need Romeo valve covers obviously. I'm trying to remember everything I looked up last winter when I was doing my swap.

Yeah you're getting the storm that just left us here in Missouri. And I'll check maybe here in a bit. Need to know so I can plan accordingly. The pi heads I have only have 9 bolt holes for the valve covers?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
97 will have the romeo heads. Timing covers and everything swap over regardless. The car that I linked the video of, just a few posts ago, had romeo npi heads and we put windsor pi heads on it. Only thing we had to change was the cam covers.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
97 will have the romeo heads. Timing covers and everything swap over regardless. The car that I linked the video of, just a few posts ago, had romeo npi heads and we put windsor pi heads on it. Only thing we had to change was the cam covers.
So the cam covers on mine have eleven bolt holes and my pi heads only have 9? So I need new covers?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Nevermind 9 on the heads and two on each side timing cover. So yes they fit. Love me some Google search.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score

Yeah the bolt patterns and timing gears are different, as you stated 11 per romeo and 13 per Windsor. Then the gears in the romeo are bolt on while the Windsor timing gears are a whole fixture ,not able to be undone.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah the bolt patterns and timing gears are different, as you stated 11 per romeo and 13 per Windsor. Then the gears in the romeo are bolt on while the Windsor timing gears are a whole fixture ,not able to be undone.

Also, cam caps are individual instead of having 2 girdles per head. Some of the windsors had larger bolt holes where the timing cover mounts. The spark plug location is a little bit different, and i think thats about it. All of it is totally interchangeable though.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Ford racing pi intake manifold in route from blue oval chips. 5 extra got me second temp sensor drilled and tapped. My question is American Muscle had head gasket kit with head bolts and exhaust gaskets. Says head gaskets are steel are those good?

mustangmurley

Reaction score
Ford racing pi intake manifold in route from blue oval chips. 5 extra got me second temp sensor drilled and tapped. My question is American Muscle had head gasket kit with head bolts and exhaust gaskets. Says head gaskets are steel are those good?

That 5$ saved you a headache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online