Fourth day ownership got hit now build thread.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Double check all the oil gallery plugs. Their should be 2 plugs located on the deck towards the ends. I see in the pic head on the left has one, but I cant see the others. Hold the head up, deck parallel to the floor and shake it real good to dislodge any shavings from being decked. If shavings fall out, take them back so they can finish cleaning. Should have 2 bigger gallery plugs on both ends of head. Only one small plug where the tentioner mounts but is at the rear. The tentioner location in the front will be open/not plugged.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Now hurry up! Im excited to hear it rumble! Your exhaust sounds great. Should be even better with the bump in compression.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Now hurry up! Im excited to hear it rumble! Your exhaust sounds great. Should be even better with the bump in compression.
I know right lol. And it's got all the plugs. They were checked, cleaned, valve job, resurfaced and new valve seals. They're ready to rock and roll. Ford racing pi intake manifold will be here tomorrow plus the comp cams. And I got new timing chains and new lash adjusters coming in the a.m. so all parts needed will be at my disposal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Those cams will be tight! Actually I believe their is a fail rate when installing the cams "straight up". This refers to installing the cams like factory.

If the pistons have valve reliefs, you should be ok to install straight up. If not valve to piston contact will happen. Your cams are big and open the valves alot more and alot earlier than most other cams. You can retard the cam when degreeing them in to open the valve a tad later than comp has spec'd for you.

My solution if it were me, valve relief the pistons, then send the heads back to the machine shop and get them decked .060"(LOL)....Your cams will love it!!! And so will you! Oh my gosh....add long tube to this!! Youll be touching 330rwhp

Let me ask if you plan on getting this tuned?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Those cams will be tight! Actually I believe their is a fail rate when installing the cams "straight up". This refers to installing the cams like factory.

If the pistons have valve reliefs, you should be ok to install straight up. If not valve to piston contact will happen. Your cams are big and open the valves alot more and alot earlier than most other cams. You can retard the cam when degreeing them in to open the valve a tad later than comp has spec'd for you.

My solution if it were me, valve relief the pistons, then send the heads back to the machine shop and get them decked .060"(LOL)....Your cams will love it!!! And so will you! Oh my gosh....add long tube to this!! Youll be touching 330rwhp

Let me ask if you plan on getting this tuned?
I have BBK shorties already and yes plan a dyno tune at stlmustangs . And the heads were just resurfaced with valve job,and new valve seals. Comp says I'll be good just installing them. They're just stage ones. What are valve reliefs?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ok, my mistake. I went back and looked at what you ordered. Some reason I thought you were installing comp270. You chose the comp262.....youll be fine installing straight up! Seriously though....if you want more power and your plans to run any grade of fuel higher than 87octane....take heads back and get them to deck more off. This will ultimately demand the cams to be degreed in. Youll still be real happy with the results.

Long story short, your new cams will help the engine spin easier only. The dynamic compression(compression when running) will be less than what the stock cams offered. All this relates to the intake valve shutting much later causing less compression. The solution is to increase compression by flat top pistons or decking the head more. Ideally flat top pistons. Valve reliefs will be needed should you deck the heads more. All this explanation equates to mo fun!!

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Ok, my mistake. I went back and looked at what you ordered. Some reason I thought you were installing comp270. You chose the comp262.....youll be fine installing straight up! Seriously though....if you want more power and your plans to run any grade of fuel higher than 87octane....take heads back and get them to deck more off. This will ultimately demand the cams to be degreed in. Youll still be real happy with the results.

Long story short, your new cams will help the engine spin easier only. The dynamic compression(compression when running) will be less than what the stock cams offered. All this relates to the intake valve shutting much later causing less compression. The solution is to increase compression by flat top pistons or decking the head more. Ideally flat top pistons. Valve reliefs will be needed should you deck the heads more. All this explanation equates to mo fun!!
All good bro, I was thinking about the stage 2 but ended up getting the daily driver friendly ones lol.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
What do you mean daily driver friendly? My car is going to be daily driver friendly.
I just liked what I read about stage ones better. Who knows though might change it in future. Builds are never really finished are they?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
9db8df0778b3827e65de9715cedc9131.jpg
new chains and lifters/lash adjusters. Cams and intake manifold will be here anytime.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
d7e9e20955c57a260eb26c648148b013.jpg
c145e0b99dca78754d3a2e85c62ace0f.jpg
7cc4c49eb3cd6d3b74bdf55926c11a5d.jpg
e301a05117fb84d2acfbc01291a73a6d.jpg
3bd01a8f22fec2a753bf4cb809f6865b.jpg
efb6232cf6c8b625740ccce6a837e639.jpg
the puzzle pieces are all here. Oh and the free hat from summit for spending 1100+ bucks lol.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Cam gear bolt issue. Bolts out of oem pi cams are to small for comp cams?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online