Fox K-member in SN95

NJcobra94

Reaction score
Will an qa1 tubular k-member from a fox fit sn95 5.0... I heard that back bolt hole don't line up, but want to hear if anyone else has done it

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
i think it'll fit, Maximum Motorsports lists their K member for 79-95 as does QA1. You'll want part number MU2TK. Also note from QA1 website: Not for street use!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
how is a k member not for street use???
I believe because it not technically "Street legal". Its a fairly major modification if you think about it and it hasnt been tested by the people that make the rules.
This is my understanding anyways.

I know my k-member isnt technically street legal. Do people care? no.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
how is a k member not for street use???

I think it's because some of the cheaper brands aren't built strong enough to handle pot holes and what not experienced during street driving. They don't want to be responsible if it breaks while you're driving and causes an accident lol.

fwiw Maximum Motorsports specifically says their K member is strong enough to withstand street driving.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
why thank you sir for the education. Some things in life you jsut never think about.

ster302

Reaction score
I had about 25k trouble-free miles on the QA1 K-member before it came out for my mod motor swap, There wasn't any signs of cracking or anything like that but looking back I probably wouldn't sacrifice the strength of the stock k for the little difference in weight it are up for. As far as fitment, according to MM the 79-95 mounting bolts are the same but the 96-04's have slightly different locations for the 4 short rear-most bolts, so you would have to do some grinding on the k-member if you were going to use MM. I believe QA1 elongates the rear-most holes to be universal to 79-04.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
QA1 states the same year ranges for their K members as MM does. If i had to guess it has more to do with the engine mounts than the rear bolt holes.

Slipperman

Reaction score
Ok, what's the advantage of an aftermarket k-member then?
Weight alone?
Clearance for exhaust, starter, etc?
Corrected geometry after a drop?
Coil-over considerations?
I'd like to think strong enough for race > strong enough for street.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
i could be wrong but i think hitting potholes is harder on suspension than hard turns. obviously the benefits will vary depending on the brand and quality of said K member but here's MM's list:

Benefits
  • Replaces the stock k-member with improved version designed by MM.
  • Lighter weight than stock k-member: Installation of complete K-member system reduces vehicle weight by nearly 40 lb.
  • Improves suspension geometry.
  • Moves roll center vertical location to optimum position.
  • Improves weight distribution.
  • Allows increase in positive caster.
  • Allows engine setback for improved weight distribution.
  • Improves maintenance access.
  • Easier steering rack removal than stock or other aftermarket k-members.
  • Stiff design prevents flexing.
  • Tough enough for street, strip, and road course use.

OP
OP
N

NJcobra94

Reaction score
thanks guys i'm getting a screaming deal on the k-member so its worth the shot.... and my reason is for racing aspects, not concerned about street use... Lighter weight, comes with the coil over kit, and better weight transfer

kb1982

Reaction score
I would think a drag car setting the front end back down would be just as hard on a k member as hitting a pothole.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am using the QA1 in my 97 Cobra. Installed for maintenance reasons. A whole lot more room for dealing with long tubes. If you ae going to do the swap, may I recommend the solid steering shaft from Maximum Motorsports. Get rid of that rag joint. You will be glad you did. The steering is so much tighter, better feedback through the steering wheel, and better clearance for headers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online