FR500's and Cobra R Brembos

codfod

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Cobra R calipers will clear a 17x9 FR500? I believe the offset of these specific wheels are 24mm, I haven't been able to find any real definitive answer.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
According to American muscle the 2000 Cobra R Brembo does not work with 17" FR500

We have found that this cobra brake kit will not fit any of our Bullitt wheels and the 17" FR500 wheels. It will fit the 17x9 and 18x9 Cobra R wheels and the 18" FR500 wheels. All other wheels should be tested with the above method to ensure proper fitment.

You could measure and see

This Ford Racing/Brembo kit requires the use of 17" (or larger) wheels with 50mm clearance to the back of the spokes as shown in the picture below.

I'm not sure what picture they are referring too. Here's the link to the page if you want to dig for yourself

http://www.americanmuscle.com/brembo-mustang-brake-kit-2000-cobra-r.html

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Figured because the '00 R came with 18's it wouldn't, but a cobra 17" would work?

Weird.

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
That would be a no. The spokes come in too much at an angle. I dont even thing 18s do with fr500s. bullets dont either.

It doesn't even seem like the caliper would have much of an issue with the spokes, seems like it would be a bigger problem fitting inside the diameter of the wheels themselves from just looking at them. But either way I didn't hold a ton of hope. On AM some of the product review pictures do show 18' FR500's over the brakes though so those should be fine.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
From the picture it looks like it fits just fine inside the diameter of the FR500 wheel. Also from the looks of it, it clears the spokes too. A very small spacer would fix a fitment problem of the caliper touching the spokes if it existed. I found some info on the subject from that site.

Per Brembo North America the caliper measures 48.4mm out from the rotor hat. You need a clearance of at least 48.5mm for the center wheel hub to the inside spoke face. As far as caliper height, the caliper measures 192.5mm from the center of the wheel hub.

I use the car for road course track days. A huge upgrade over the stock PBRs. Running 18" FR500 replicas, I did need to put a small wheel spacer in to ensure clearance. It clears without them, just barely, when the calipers are cold. The small bit of expansion when they heat up is enough to cause a clearance issue.

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
Welp looks like I'm looking for new wheels come time to install the brakes lol

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Welp looks like I'm looking for new wheels come time to install the brakes lol

Huntington beach??? Dude you're sooooo local! Check out Carbyne Wheels. They are a small company located about 30 miles from you. Their wheels will clear anything, and they are pretty well priced. Popular with drifters

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
Huntington beach??? Dude you're sooooo local! Check out Carbyne Wheels. They are a small company located about 30 miles from you. Their wheels will clear anything, and they are pretty well priced. Popular with drifters

Not a huge fan of the Rivals but I dig the Sprints! Found a picture of them on a S197 on their facebook page and they don't look too bad. They kinda remind me of Volk TE37's but five spoke instead of six.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the Rivals but I dig the Sprints! Found a picture of them on a S197 on their facebook page and they don't look too bad. They kinda remind me of Volk TE37's but five spoke instead of six.
Im actually thinking of running them. Realllly soon.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Wheels that are known to clear.

True R58 17x9 Cobra r
03/04 Cobra 17x9 wheels
anniversary wheels are still up for debate
MMD 551c 18x9
18x9 FR500 ( pulled that from years and years ago off SVTP)
y2k 18x9.5
17x8 98 Cobra wheel

obviously custom wheel

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
Wheels that are known to clear.

True R58 17x9 Cobra r
03/04 Cobra 17x9 wheels
anniversary wheels are still up for debate
MMD 551c 18x9
18x9 FR500 ( pulled that from years and years ago off SVTP)
y2k 18x9.5
17x8 98 Cobra wheel

obviously custom wheel

Yeah if I could find some R58's that would be ideal. None of the replica 95R wheels are known to fit? I'd prefer to stay 17's so I could reuse tires instead of having to buy a whole new set yanno.

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
Im actually thinking of running them. Realllly soon.

I'm looking at moving up to the La Habra area sometime in the near future, might have to stop by their warehouse and see what's up next time I'm up there.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I'm looking at moving up to the La Habra area sometime in the near future, might have to stop by their warehouse and see what's up next time I'm up there.

Do you already have the wheels or the brakes?

Magic

Reaction score
Yeah if I could find some R58's that would be ideal. None of the replica 95R wheels are known to fit? I'd prefer to stay 17's so I could reuse tires instead of having to buy a whole new set yanno.

Replica 95R wheels DO clear the Cobra R Brembo calipers. At least the two sets that I have do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online