freaking mid pipe

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by bleau, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bleau

bleau New Member

I have been spraying my midpipe to exhaust manifold nuts with pblaster now since fall off and on.
    I could not get these nuts off!
    Went and bought a air compresser, got one nut with its stud off. could not get any more off. Applied heat to other drivers side bolt, got nut off but damaged threads doing so.
    Passenger side no joy nothing but broken tools.

Am I totally screwed or are there any options?
    I'm thinking of abandoning this project for the summer.

2. Olstangguy

Olstangguy New Member

You're not alone man. I broke a 1/2 inch craftsman swivel and then gave up. Took it to a muffler shop. Guy said 50 bucks to break the nuts loose and then 100 to install the whole thing. In watching the guy, I realized that there was no way i could have gotten it off by myself. They had the right tools, knowledge and experience. They did use their torch on each of the four nuts after trying each with only their impact wrench. Some things you can do yourself, Some you can't

3. bleau

bleau New Member

Ya man what a pain.
    I think I will just put it back together and try a muffler shop myself.
    The last thing I need is a busted stud or something.
    Thanks for the advice.

4. Whistler98

Whistler98 Active Member

I had the same prob with my pass side exhaust bolt coming off the manifold. I broke a cheap swivel elbow thing a cheap one then got a craftsman 1. My buddie and I took a deep well socket which was to long to fit up in there and grinded it down until it would fit this kept it from sliping off the nut and was just short enough enough to fit up in there. I have used it every time but I am afraid we may have lost it I will just have to make another one.

5. Whistler98

Whistler98 Active Member

Also try taking off your pass side tire with a buddie who is able to reach in and hold the socket on the bolt until you can start wrench will save some swearing lol. It was a super pain in the ass the first time, but since then reall hasn't been a prob. On my buddies car we took his off 2 times in a few hours maybe more just trying diff mid pipes for diff sounds and his gasket was leaking (never reuse the old one)

6. piecebypiece

piecebypiece New Member

When I put on my x-pipe I seriously thought something was wrong because the header to midpipe bolts were on so tight. I ended up using a couple of 1/2" extensions and a breaker bar to get em loose. I was yanking on the breaker bar with all that I had, but they came loose. For the passenger side though, I couldn't get any my sockets over the nuts (sockets were either too long or too short) so I took the motor mount nuts off and jacked the engine up a little off of the K-member.

7. bleau

bleau New Member

I was looking at trying to get at it with the wheel off, my problem though the car is on ramps and my rear end is still not in the car.
    I found some medium deep well socket that fit perfect, I had to tap the socket on to the nut it was so tight.
    My car was a daily driver for 10 years in Michigan so corrosion is an issue. I think thats why the threads off one of my studs came with the nut when I finally got it off.
    I have thrown up the white flag on this one, going to the pros like suggested. Got my catback already on will install my rearend soon.
    Anti seize will be my friend from now on.
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

8. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

that sounds so familiar. i had MAJOR problems getting my stock midpipe off. but eventually after a few broken sockets i got it. impact wrench helped. but that passenger side manifold to midpipe bolt is a PITA. take it to a shop and have them loosen it for you. i ended up doing that for the passenger side.

9. Wes8398

Wes8398 Guest

This is what scares me from even bothering to buy a midpipe...I really, really want one, but I can't afford the $200 or whatever to pay a shop to install it.

10. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

midpipes (generally) are a direct bolt on. it shouldn't cost no where near $200. check some other shops.

11. Wes8398

Wes8398 Guest

Good to hear. How much time should I be looking at to have a shop install one than? An hour?
    And does anyone remember the size of the socket they used for the manifold/midpipe flanges?

12. Thomas_W

Thomas_W Well-Known Member

15mm..

And if your putting a O/R pipe on, your gauranteed to NOT find a shop to swap them as its a federal offense now to remove working catalytic converters.

13. Wes8398

Wes8398 Guest

Thanks! And yah, I know about the cat issue. I'm going with a catted pipe. And I'm going to make an attempt at installing myself...but if it gets too annoying (which it sounds like it will), I'll have it done at a shop if it's not too much money. The first big obstacle I need to overcome is FINDING one though! lol 96-98 catted mids aren't easy to get used! :hammer:

14. bleau

bleau New Member

15. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

96-97's are alittle different than the 98's. In 98 ford improved the exhaust alittle. which is the reason why the 98 has 10 more hp then the 96-97's.

16. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

I had one guy tell me it was also against the law to switch a single exhaust to a dual. :dunno:

17. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

that's weird. I've never heard that before.. :dunno:

18. Wes8398

Wes8398 Guest

Are you saying that the 98 midpipes are different? Because I would beg to differ if so. I've yet to see a midpipe manufacturer who sells a model for strictly a 98 mustang. Every website I've been on (mac, upr, basanni, bbk, etc) state that midpipes for 96-98 are all the same part numbers. Which tells me that they're exactly the same pipe. :dunno: If you know otherwise, I'd really like to know before I purchase any "96-98" pipes.

19. LI98GT

LI98GT Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, the 98s are no different as far as exhaust goes with the exception of the hangers and tips on the catback. 98s came stock with 2.5" where as the tips on 96/97s came in 2.25" size. The mid pipe I took off was restrictive as hell and a major bottleneck. The hp numbers have been mostly attributed to a more agressive stock tune on the 98s.

PBlaster, extensions and swivels were the key in getting mine off.

20. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

breaker bar is nice. make sure you can (safely) get the car high enough to give you sufficient room to work. Good luck!