Freeway speed vibration

pete3323

Reaction score
I’ve put 4 new tires on and have had the wheels balanced 3 times. Still getting vibration above 65 or so. What else could be causing this aside from wheels/tires?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
There's many things in a car that can cause vibes, and it could come from things that are relatively stationary and not necessarily rotating mass like tires, driveshafts, etc.

Could come from worn suspension bushings, bearings, etc. Even a bad rack & pinion gear can do it. Just gotta check these things for freeplay.

OP
OP
pete3323

pete3323

Reaction score
It’s a 98 Cobra with Terminator motor/trans

Mr horsepower

Reaction score
I had the same problem at about the same speeds and it drove me bat shit crazy trying to find it. It ended up being the driveshaft. The front yoke splines were twisted (from hard launches) and that would not allow the yoke to insert all the way into the trans tail shaft, which put pressure on the trans output and driveshaft. Had the driveshaft rebuilt (they found the twisted spline) with a new hardened front yoke (Strange or MW don't remember), new U-Joints and rebalanced. Problem gone.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
I had the same problem at about the same speeds and it drove me bat shit crazy trying to find it. It ended up being the driveshaft. The front yoke splines were twisted (from hard launches) and that would not allow the yoke to insert all the way into the trans tail shaft, which put pressure on the trans output and driveshaft. Had the driveshaft rebuilt (they found the twisted spline) with a new hardened front yoke (Strange or MW don't remember), new U-Joints and rebalanced. Problem gone.
That's basically what I was going to suggest. FRPP aluminum driveshaft solves pretty much everything

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
fly wheel could be off balance

check axle shafts , i had one that was slightly bent from a pot hole i hit
but as mentioned many things could be a problem

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99