Fresh Paint...thoughts?

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Its hard to not want to paint my roof/pillars black after looking at these cars. And I really think my black Weld RTS's would tie even better with this

lutter94

Reaction score
Paint the bottom of the bumper, gloss black to match the letters. LEAVE everything else. It has a great look. Red from the side, looks like a red car. But the black stripe stands out from the front. A black roof won't match the lines, and looks like you're starting to play paint by number. Mirrors look great as are, black provides some contrast, you don't want the whole thing red.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Body color mirrors
Gloss black roof
Black pinstripe around rear lower valence to outline it

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth with it all after playing with photoshops. I'm also thinking of removing the fender badges (are there holes?) and also the blue oval on the trunk (are there holes?). What do you guys think about a black pony in the grille area or completely removed? This is tough with paint being so permanent

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
There are holes behind the fender emblems and the Ford oval. i'd leave the horse in the grill but just black it out. removing it makes it look like something is missing to me. I plan on doing mine two tone in the spring like the ones you posted with different colors, if you're going to do the pillars black leave the mirrors black as well. mirrors should match the a pillars imo.

and that's the beauty of Plasti Dip, it's cheap and you can remove it if you don't like it.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
There are holes behind the fender emblems and the Ford oval. i'd leave the horse in the grill but just black it out. removing it makes it look like something is missing to me. I plan on doing mine two tone in the spring like the ones you posted with different colors, if you're going to do the pillars black leave the mirrors black as well. mirrors should match the a pillars imo.

and that's the beauty of Plasti Dip, it's cheap and you can remove it if you don't like it.

Good stuff, I'll probably pull those emblems for just a clean shaved look as well. I agree, when I look at pictures, IF I end up going with the black top half than the mirrors will also have to stay black as well. I am pretty familiar with Plastidip and have a full bottle sitting in the garage. I've never put it on paint before though, if I were to spray a pillar to see how it looks, how hard is it to take off of paint and would it leave any damage when trying to do so? All applications I've used with plastidip were aluminum/steel and not actual body paint with clear coat. I just don't want to spray a pillar, not like the way it looks, and than try to take this plastidip off and damage the original paint.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth with it all after playing with photoshops. I'm also thinking of removing the fender badges (are there holes?) and also the blue oval on the trunk (are there holes?). What do you guys think about a black pony in the grille area or completely removed? This is tough with paint being so permanent

Yeah there are holes behind the fender and trunk badges. As for the pony in the grille, I'd remove it and drive around for a week or two see what you think. I hated the pony, so I removed it and its never going back on. Gives a more aggressive and NON-TRADITIONAL Mustang look.. Everyone has the pony or a cobra, so when you take it off, people don't like it lol.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am pretty familiar with Plastidip and have a full bottle sitting in the garage. I've never put it on paint before though, if I were to spray a pillar to see how it looks, how hard is it to take off of paint and would it leave any damage when trying to do so?

There are very few instances of dip permanently damaging OEM auto paint and none caused by black dip as far as I've seen. if you spray your pillar properly it will peel off pretty easily when you're ready. make sure you apply at least 4-5 coats, the more coats the easier it peels and when you're ready it should come off in all one piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online